LSU under federal investigation

bootskii

23 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

This goes back further than Coach O. IF true then LSU as a whole would need a shake up. 

Oh no doubt. I wonder if this will have further repercussions and would Kansas take action since some of this came under Miles watch. 

If these cases make their way into the courts, LSU will not be able to continue covering up for Ogre and the other LSU coaches and admins. All the records will be subpoenaed and made public. But, will the women step forward at this point to press the cases?

The basketball and football programs are currently in tarbitration at the penalty phase for previous NCAA violations. I wonder if these new and entirely separate violations of institutional cover-up and failure to follow Title IX guidelines could drop them into potential "death penalty"territory. I doubt the NCAA would ever dothat again, but it seems like LSU just completely and willfully ignores NCAA rules, confident that the violations really won't affect them much.

Ogre and Wade -- what a combo they got at LSU.

Edited by AURex

1 hour ago, AURex said:

If these cases make their way into the courts, LSU will not be able to continue covering up for Ogre and the other LSU coaches and admins. All the records will be subpoenaed and made public. But, will the women step forward at this point to press the cases?

The basketball and football programs are currently in tarbitration at the penalty phase for previous NCAA violations. I wonder if these new and entirely separate violations of institutional cover-up and failure to follow Title IX guidelines could drop them into potential "death penalty"territory. I doubt the NCAA would ever dothat again, but it seems like LSU just completely and willfully ignores NCAA rules, confident that the violations really won't affect them much.

Ogre and Wade -- what a combo they got at LSU.

As @AlaskanFAN said, this predates Coach O.  Don't disagree with you about Wade but I haven't seen any allegations around Coach O. 

@bootskii  has an interesting point about what will Kansas do with Miles if this pushes forward and shows he had anything to do with a cover up. 

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

As @AlaskanFAN said, this predates Coach O.  Don't disagree with you about Wade but I haven't seen any allegations around Coach O. 

@bootskii  has an interesting point about what will Kansas do with Miles if this pushes forward and shows he had anything to do with a cover up. 

These cases do NOT predate Ogre. In fact, most of them were on his watch and the team talked about them. Some of the players were "disciplined" by Ogre. Others were not. Guice was one of the players accused of rape and assault by 3 different women while Ogre was coach. The big issue for the NCAA is that these incidents were all covered up, the women's reports were ignored, and Title IX guidelines were not followed.

Here is another article about the situation from ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30292896/alabama-crimson-tide-lsu-tigers-texas-tennessee-volunteers-games-postponed

2 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

As @AlaskanFAN said, this predates Coach O.  Don't disagree with you about Wade but I haven't seen any allegations around Coach O

Did you read the USA Today article that was linked? From that article: "Guice and Davis included, at least nine LSU football players have been reported to police for sexual misconduct and dating violence since coach Ed Orgeron took over the team four years ago, records show. But the details of how LSU handled complaints against the other seven, including two who played key roles on its 2020 national championship team, remain largely secret."

Orgeron has been at LSU since 2015. In 2015 up until taking over after Miles was fired in September of 2016, he was coaching the defensive line. Since September of 2016 he has been head coach. You really think he was unaware? 

• Thanks 1

From what I've read, this sounds like more than just a Coach O issue. The USAToday article in particular seems to implicate the athletic department as a whole and the administrative culture at LSU. If all of this is corroborated then O will likely and probably should go down with the ship but this problem seems to be MUCH bigger than just him. 

Talking heads are now calling for Ogre to be fired, along with other LSU people who covered up for these perps. Of course, it's just your typical talking heads. But the whole thing is beginning to smell a lot like Baylor, which is not good for the "Bengalese-on-the-Bayou". Personally, of all the SEC teams, I've always considered LSU the slimiest of the slimy, from fans to the entire university.

We knew Freeze was dirty and the NCAA finally caught up with him. We knew Wade was dirty and the NCAA is now ready to deal with him. We knew the entire Kansas stink was real stink, and the NCAA is gonna aerate that program.Unless the NCAA decides to pull a UNC/FSU "we be blind" thing, in which case nuthin gonna be happening and Ogre gonna be doing the same ole same ole for years to come.

Edited by AURex

On 11/16/2020 at 8:28 PM, AURex said:

Talking heads are now calling for Ogre to be fired, along with other LSU people who covered up for these perps. Of course, it's just your typical talking heads. But the whole thing is beginning to smell a lot like Baylor, which is not good for the "Bengalese-on-the-Bayou." Personally, of all the SEC teams, I've always considered LSU the slimiest of the slimy, from fans to the entire university.

I made the mistake of going over to Tiger Droppings to see what the reaction to this news was amongst the LSU faithful.  Note that I said doing that was a mistake. Your "slimiest of the slimy" opinion would seem to have some merit.

Edited by CleCoTiger
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:27 PM, AUAlumnTN said:

From what I've read, this sounds like more than just a Coach O issue. The USAToday article in particular seems to implicate the athletic department as a whole and the administrative culture at LSU. If all of this is corroborated then O will likely and probably should go down with the ship but this problem seems to be MUCH bigger than just him. 

You're right, this is LSU's cultural attitude from every division of their Administration that failed to have a sense of urgency with a dozen allegations.  They failed to foster an environment of Title XI compliance and drug their feet on the investigations to the point that they were hoping the alleged victims would just give up and quit.

They have two tennis coaches (still employed at LSU) who blew off one girls story and told her father they didn't believe her allegations.  An everyday Student reported a fraternity guy took partially nude pictures of her and distributed them.  LSU extended that perverts appeal process so many times that the guy graduated before the had to even appear for his hearing.  This isn't all about athletics, it's the overall attitude of the LSU Administration and their Title XI Departments in conjunction with the LSU Athletic Department that has a problem.  They knowingly slow-played the allegations and failed to follow the proper Title XI protocols.  This will get very ugly.

Edited by keesler
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
theadvocate.com

LSU under federal investigation for 'safety practices' after sexual assault complaints

ANDREA GALLO | Staff writer
4 minutes

LSU is under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education over potential violations of the Clery Act, which requires universities to report crimes that occur on campus and to address incidents of sexual violence.

LSU acknowledged the investigation on Friday after The Advocate reported on it, citing two sources close to the investigation. One source with direct knowledge told The Advocate that the Department of Education had notified LSU "that they will be investigating their safety practices."

"This week, LSU was notified that the U.S. Department of Education would be conducting a campus crime program review related to Clery Act requirements," said LSU spokesman Ernie Ballard on Friday afternoon. "Campus safety and the well being of those at LSU is always our priority, ad following Clery guidelines for reporting and notifying the campus community is an important part of crime prevention that we take extremely seriously."

Alexandra Reyes thought she had an airtight case of sexual misconduct for LSU to investigate.

The investigation was triggered after several women came forward with allegations that they were sexually assaulted or abused by LSU students and athletes, but said that LSU officials failed to fully investigate their complaints.

LSU has commissioned its own investigation from the law firm Husch Blackwell over potential violations of Title IX, the federal law that prevents universities from discriminating against students based on their gender. The Husch Blackwell report is expected to be completed later this month. 

Two years ago, the NCAA, SEC and LSU’s president and top legal counsel were all warned that LSU’s athletics department had potentially run afo…

USA Today first reported last year that LSU had botched investigations into rapes and domestic violence incidents involving student-athletes, including former Washington Football Team running back Derrius Guice and former LSU wide receiver Drake Davis. Several other women also said that LSU did not thoroughly investigate their allegations of sexual misconduct involving non-athletes as well. And The Advocate reported last year that even when LSU found students responsible for violating Title IX, the university issued weak punishments in many instances. 

This is a developing story. Check back later for more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 3:52 PM, aubiefifty said:
theadvocate.com

LSU under federal investigation for 'safety practices' after sexual assault complaints

ANDREA GALLO | Staff writer
4 minutes

LSU is under investigation by the U.S. Department of Education over potential violations of the Clery Act, which requires universities to report crimes that occur on campus and to address incidents of sexual violence.

LSU acknowledged the investigation on Friday after The Advocate reported on it, citing two sources close to the investigation. One source with direct knowledge told The Advocate that the Department of Education had notified LSU "that they will be investigating their safety practices."

"This week, LSU was notified that the U.S. Department of Education would be conducting a campus crime program review related to Clery Act requirements," said LSU spokesman Ernie Ballard on Friday afternoon. "Campus safety and the well being of those at LSU is always our priority, ad following Clery guidelines for reporting and notifying the campus community is an important part of crime prevention that we take extremely seriously."

Alexandra Reyes thought she had an airtight case of sexual misconduct for LSU to investigate.

The investigation was triggered after several women came forward with allegations that they were sexually assaulted or abused by LSU students and athletes, but said that LSU officials failed to fully investigate their complaints.

LSU has commissioned its own investigation from the law firm Husch Blackwell over potential violations of Title IX, the federal law that prevents universities from discriminating against students based on their gender. The Husch Blackwell report is expected to be completed later this month. 

Two years ago, the NCAA, SEC and LSU’s president and top legal counsel were all warned that LSU’s athletics department had potentially run afo…

USA Today first reported last year that LSU had botched investigations into rapes and domestic violence incidents involving student-athletes, including former Washington Football Team running back Derrius Guice and former LSU wide receiver Drake Davis. Several other women also said that LSU did not thoroughly investigate their allegations of sexual misconduct involving non-athletes as well. And The Advocate reported last year that even when LSU found students responsible for violating Title IX, the university issued weak punishments in many instances. 

This is a developing story. Check back later for more.

AND the investigation un-earthed a secret settlement between Les Miles and an LSU student that accused him of sexual harassment while he was HC at LSU. 

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/24/les-miles-settlement-student-harassment-lsu

This culture very well could've started with Miles, as he hired and employed Ed Orgeron and Ed could've allowed it to carry over to his regime.  Who knows, but this is about to get really ugly real soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

AND the investigation un-earthed a secret settlement between Les Miles and an LSU student that accused him of sexual harassment while he was HC at LSU. 

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/24/les-miles-settlement-student-harassment-lsu

This culture very well could've started with Miles, as he hired and employed Ed Orgeron and Ed could've allowed it to carry over to his regime.  Who knows, but this is about to get really ugly real soon. 

i was afraid you were gonnaq accuse me of turning them in lol. the crawfish mafia willget dat azz fer sure..............ok that was not funny but i tried.

• Haha 3

I've been around a loooong time (hey, I'm not as old as Golf, but still old). LSU has **ALWAYS** been the dirtiest athletics program in the SEC. I'm not sure why they always seem to fly under the radar of NCAA and the feds, but they seem to never get penalized.

I mean, even Bama got penalized, but LSU has been above/below/behind the rules for some reason. It's like, fdor decades, the rules/laws just don't apply to them.

Here we are now -- the BB program with undeniable blatant recruiting violations, the football program with endless recruiting and sexual assault violations.

Years in process. And still MORE years in process.

Crickets!

Nothing!

LSU should be the second school to receive the DEATH PENALTY. Yet here it is, years and years and years ... with NOTHING from the NCAA or the Feds.

Hey, if LSU can do all this stuff and not get hammered for it, WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT ??!!!!!??? Because hey ----- No Consequences!

Not to mention Kansas BB. Just don't get me going on that!

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, AURex said:

I've been around a loooong time (hey, I'm not as old as Golf, but still old). LSU has **ALWAYS** been the dirtiest athletics program in the SEC. I'm not sure why they always seem to fly under the radar of NCAA and the feds, but they seem to never get penalized.

Maybe it's because down on the bayou at LSU they have a live Tiger for a mascot and gators in the swamps, both of which like fresh meat. And when NCAA investigators come calling at LSU, they get visitor name tags that say..."Fresh Meat." ;) 

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Maybe it's because down on the bayou at LSU they have a live Tiger for a mascot and gators in the swamps, both of which like fresh meat. And when NCAA investigators come calling at LSU, they get visitor name tags that say..."Fresh Meat." ;) 

They got the voodoo

• Haha 1

They have two of the dirtiest coaches in a conference that doesn't give much of a s*** about ethics. They've had horrendous things rumored in both major sports for over a year

The NCAA is ******* pathetic 

• Thanks 2

On 2/28/2021 at 9:47 PM, AURex said:

I'm not sure why they always seem to fly under the radar of NCAA and the feds, but they seem to never get penalized.

Emmert is tied to the dirt and bodies at LSU. It's why Saban will never be touched either, he an Emmert are tied to one another.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 3:31 PM, keesler said:

NO NO NO NO NO.  There were serious things going on when Emmert and your hero  the nickatator were at LSU. This is why Emmert will not touch bammer for any violations. He and lil'nickster each have something on the other, and they have "an understanding". You really should do a little reading about their time at LSU. And the nickster left LSU because if he'd stayed he would've gotten hit with all kinds of consequences. He and Pete Carroll both tucked their tails and ran away to the NFL. Saban had all kinds of rumors swirling about HIS behavior on a personal level as well as cheating in football, so do not try to say that Les Miles was the instigator of all things immoral and unethical at LSU. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

NO NO NO NO NO.  There were serious things going on when Emmert and your hero  the nickatator were at LSU. This is why Emmert will not touch bammer for any violations. He and lil'nickster each have something on the other, and they have "an understanding". You really should do a little reading about their time at LSU. And the nickster left LSU because if he'd stayed he would've gotten hit with all kinds of consequences. He and Pete Carroll both tucked their tails and ran away to the NFL. Saban had all kinds of rumors swirling about HIS behavior on a personal level as well as cheating in football, so do not try to say that Les Miles was the instigator of all things immoral and unethical at LSU. 

OK Belle, if the sexual misconduct and sexual assault all started when Saban was there and it was entrenched in the LSU culture of their Administration to ignore, slow play and outright fail to take the proper avenue of dealing with those issues, then so be it.  Do the current Federal investigators care when it all started, and will they go back as far as +20 yrs to delve into the LSU Administrative underbelly of Mark Emmert/Joe Alleva/ Scott Woodward & the number of coaches under their regimes at LSU? 

What we do know is that Les Miles secret settlement to an LSU student who accused him of sexual harassment was recently unearthed.   I think we have a pretty good inkling that sexual misconduct and harassment even from the Head Coach may have been overlooked and possibly tolerated to some degree under Les Miles.  I'll not trash Les until the case is made public for all to see, he may be a total innocent in that lawsuit and just felt like paying the woman off to keep it out of the news.  Was Ed Orgeron knowledgeable of the accusations and complaints while working under Miles?  Did Orgeron as HC know properly report accusations against Grant Delpit recording a nude female without her knowledge Or the two women that have accused Derrius Guice of rape while at LSU or ignore allegations against Drake Davis while LSU slow played his suspension and he continued to strangle and assault an LSU tennis player? 

We know that LSU's Administration under Joe Alleva, King Alexander, and possibly Les Miles failed to do their jobs.  Coaches in multiple sports failed to report properly, and a few were still employed as recently as Dec '20.  

LSU has/had an Administrative culture problem regardless of when it all started, and they should receive sanctions and severely reduced funding if the allegations are found to be true.  Scott Woodward has a family association with Mark Emmert, Woodward wants desperately to clean up this mess so that he will be a viable candidate to take over as LSU President in the near future.

Edited by keesler
  • Like 2

LSU routinely mishandled sexual misconduct claims against football players, report finds

By Molly Hensley-Clancy
March 5, 2021

LSU repeatedly mishandled sexual misconduct investigations within its storied football program, ignoring Title IX and violating university policies in the face of allegations against players and staff members, according to an investigation by an outside law firm released Friday.

The report comes on the heels of revelations Thursday that former LSU football coach Les Miles was the subject of multiple complaints from female students, including allegations he kissed a student and discriminated against female students based on their appearance. Miles was placed on leave from his position at the University of Kansas, pending the university’s own investigation, Kansas’s athletic director announced Friday.

LSU said it would briefly suspend two employees without pay as a result of the report, which was conducted by the law firm Hirsch Blackwell.

“I’m embarrassed of what’s happened in the past,” LSU Athletic Director Scott Woodward said during a board meeting Friday.

The report details a culture within LSU’s athletics department that normalized sex discrimination and stifled abuse claims by routing them through the athletic department rather than the university’s Title IX office, which is supposed to oversee compliance with the federal civil rights law that bars discrimination on college campuses. This was especially true of the 2013 allegations against Miles, which Husch Blackwell found were not handled in accordance with university policy.

While the athletic director wanted to fire Miles in the wake of the allegations in 2013, Husch Blackwell found, the coach remained at LSU for three more years.

“I always think that people are innocent until proven guilty and in this case I believe he’s guilty of insubordination, inappropriate behavior, putting the university, athletic dept. and football program at great risk,” former LSU athletic director Joe Alleva wrote to the university president of firing Miles, according to the report. “I think we have cause.”

It was the university’s mishandling of the Miles allegations, one longtime football staffer told the outside investigators, that fueled a culture of misconduct within LSU’s football program.

“It just baffles me, though, that for so long, this went on and that kind of became the normal, right? And you just don’t talk about it and you don’t say anything, you just kind of go, ’cuz we’re protecting LSU, we’re protecting our brand, we’re protecting our head coach,” the staffer said, according to the report.

The staffer told investigators that, had the university taken the allegations against Miles more seriously, “maybe that would have helped clean up a lot of other stuff that maybe wouldn’t have happened further down the line with not just him, with even players and anything like that.”

The Husch Blackwell report found problems within LSU that went far beyond the allegations against Miles, many of which were first detailed in a USA Today investigation last year. Many of the problems were widespread across the university, the report found, not just within the athletic department.

But a practice of keeping sexual misconduct allegations within the athletic department — and away from the school’s Title IX office — violated guidelines and resulted in insufficient investigations of accusations against players, the report found. Other confusing and convoluted processes made it difficult for victims to understand how to make reports.

Karen Truszkowski, an attorney representing several women who alleged abuse at LSU, said she and her clients were “shocked and appalled at the scope of the problems identified in the report.”

“Our clients are devastated to learn that the school they loved so much has not only broken their trust but hurt so many others,” she said.

Derrius Guice, the former Washington Football Team running back who was arrested on domestic violence charges, was accused of sexual misconduct at least three times while at LSU, the report said, but was never disciplined by the university in any of the cases.

Guice’s name was deliberately kept out of the file for an initial accusation of sexual assault against him that the victim chose not to pursue, the report said. That meant the allegation was never revisited when more accusations piled up. A second allegation of sexual assault against Guice was also met with “errors,” Husch Blackwell found, including failures to make reports and follow up with the victim.

In 2017, a 70-year-old security guard at the Superdome accused Guice of sexual harassment, the report found. The incident was again not properly reported to LSU’s Title IX office.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/05/lsu-football-title-ix-sexual-misconduct/

• Like 1