Tennessee score predictions

Win4AU

https://barning.substack.com/p/tigers-take-on-tennessee

Who? Auburn vs. Tennessee

When? 6:00 PM Central Time

Where? Jordan-Hare Stadium || Auburn, AL

Watch on: ESPN

Finally, after 21 days without Auburn football, gameday is tomorrow on the plains! The college football world was ravaged last week of almost all SEC football and Auburn was no exception. Now the Tigers are looking at their first game since riding high off a historic trouncing of the Bayou Orgeron’s.

This game has been circled on Auburn’s calendar for a hot minute. Most Auburn fans have a particularly nasty taste in their mouth after giving Pruitt one of his first SEC wins inexplicably in 2018; a game I, unfortunately, went to and left ready to burn it all down.

The difference this time should come from Auburn’s current momentum and a desire for revenge. Also, with the inexplicable loss to an awful South Carolina, it’s unlikely that Malzahn can get by with another atrocious loss. There are too many motivating factors and positives in Auburn’s favor for them to do anything other than coming out and having a commanding win over the Volunteers.

Here is the kicker, there is some mumbling that Pruitt might finally pull the plug on redshirt Senior and often lambasted Jarrett Guarantano. Lord knows Auburn likes to make backup quarterbacks look like the second coming of John Elway. Regardless of who starts at quarterback, the Vols have averaged roughly 12 points in their last three games in a year where teams are supposedly opting out of playing defense.

Conversely, the Vols have allowed an average of 35 points to their last three opponents (Arkansas, Kentucky, and Alabama). This should bode well for an Auburn team that has seemed to find its pulse on offense and settled in on defense.

It is worth noting that none of the three previous teams had a running back breaking 100 yards rushing. If you’re Tennesee it’s likely the focus becomes shutting down Auburn’s rushing attack and trying to force Bo Nix to beat you. The bad news for Tennessee? Bo Nix is at home and Tennessee’s passing defense hasn’t been phenomenal.

Bo Nix’s last three games at home (with no turnovers):

LSU - 300 passing yards 3 passing TDs 81 rushing yards 1 rushing TD

Arkansas - 187 passing yards 1 TD 30 rushing yards 1 rushing TD

Kentucky - 233 passing yards 3 TD 34 rushing yards

What could cause problems? Eric Gray can be a problem; against both Kentucky and Arkansas, he managed to eclipse 120 yards rushing. How our linebackers matchup with their run-fits will be tremendous in deciding this game.

Prediction:

Auburn 38 - Tennessee 21

On 11/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, gr82b4au said:

Depends on who is out. If Tank is out it will be closer. He is the best player on the field other than Bo. If Bo is out (I don’t think he is) we would lose. 

I think you will see rust and we will win by 10. 

Tank is the best player on the field, period. Bo is quite a bit more important, though, because the dropoff is significantly greater at QB than RB.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Tank is the best player on the field, period. Bo is quite a bit more important, though, because the dropoff is significantly greater at QB than RB.

Agree. You put it better than I did. 

I've been pretty accurate so far this year, but I'm going to stay away from this one. We haven't played in forever and have a lot of players out.  Don't know how many or who.

I’m nervous about who Auburn is possibly missing for this game.  I really want to see Auburn pick up where they left off.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, Zeek said:

I think after having time off we look a little flat. It is at home though. Auburn wins in a somewhat comfortable fashion. 

AU 31 Tenn 20

I agree. I’m afraid the 3 weeks off will hurt more than help, plus Pruitt always seems to give us problems no matter the team. As far as battles, can our D line get pressure against a very capable O line in TN. How rusty will Nix be? I would worry less if he was a 68-70% completion QB, but he just isn’t. I think we see even more TE usage and I think we try at least 3 long balls to AS. We should win in the neighborhood of 37-20, but I think it may be more like 29-19. A loss is completely unacceptable though and we should not need ref help to win this game. 

Archived