2021 OU TE Grant Calcaterra (Update 1/8/20: Decommits from AU)

GwillMac6

Update 1/8/20: Decommits from AU

9 TDs in 20 college games. His 2018 season he had 26 receptions for 396 yards and 9 TD's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/grant-calcaterra-1.html

• Like 1

ewre.jpg

Former Sooners TE Grant Calcaterra commits to Auburn

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 5 minutes ago 

Share0 Comments

Former Oklahoma tight end Grant Calcaterra will be a Tiger. Calcaterra, who retired from football late last year before announcing in August he'd return, has committed to Auburn.

"A year ago, I would’ve never pictured my life the way is it now,"Calcaterra Tweeted. "I don’t believe in bad situations, just opportunities for growth. I’m more than grateful for this past year, but even more excited for my future challenges. Thanks again Sooner Nation. #WarEagle.

That’s a lot of TEs on the roster.  May have to start running a 5 TE set.

Edited by Win4AU
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

9 TDs in 20 college games. His 2018 season he had 26 receptions for 396 yards and 9 TD's.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/grant-calcaterra-1.html

And he can probably catch ten more in the next two years. 

Just saying 

Edit: Passes, not TD's

Edited by Eagle-1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

One of life's great mysteries is how we can load up on so my TEs, but offensive tackles avoid us like the plague. 

Before Morris got here I frankly was surprised we were able to even sign one at all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

One of life's great mysteries is how we can load up on so my TEs, but offensive tackles avoid us like the plague. 

We have a STUDLY recruiter at TE. All our worst recruiters in the Malzahn era have always been the OL coach. Bicknell seems like he is doing a better job just because we have taken the backup plans earlier instead of waiting till after we swing for the fences and missing because duh that is what we almost always do with stud OT's/OL and then going after the backup plans. The OG from North Shore who is DD teammate was all because of Chad Morris. Jaeden Roberts is one of the highest OL recruits we have had in a awhile. Or at least it certainly feels like it.

rwqrqw.jpg

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

• ellitor changed the title to 2021 OU TE Grant Calcaterra Transfers to AU!
24 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

So it looks like he’s enrolling in January 

That's the earliest he could enroll. We are full til then. He will count to the 2021 25 limit.

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

... you have my attention Chad Morris 👀

fsfsa.gif

22 minutes ago, shabby said:

So he will have one year of eligibility to play?

@shabbyTBD. Since he had some bad concussions that forced him to quit football early last season plus the ongoing global bastard it's possible the NCAA will give him 2 more seasons.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

@AUDevilMost of the TEs we have added the last 7 years or so have been pass blockers. Frazier & this guy are the only true pass catchers in that time.

• Like 1

• ellitor pinned and featured this topic

Auburn is adding an established weapon to its tight end room next season.

Former Oklahoma tight end Grant Calcaterra, an All-Big 12 first-team selection in 2018, announced on Twitter that he has committed to Auburn. Calcaterra plans to enroll at Auburn in January.

The 6-foot-4 tight end has not played since Oct. 5, 2019, when injuries cut his junior season short after five games. He announced last November that he was stepping away from football due to a series of concussions he had sustained over his career.

Now, almost a year to the day that he made that decision, Calcaterra took the next step toward a return to the field.

“A year ago, I would’ve never pictured my life the way is it now,” Calcaterra posted on Twitter. “I don’t believe in bad situations, just opportunities for growth. I’m more than grateful for this past year, but even more excited for my future challenges. Thanks again Sooner Nation.”

A former four-star prospect, Calcaterra was an All-Big 12 honorable mention as a freshman in 2017 when he came off the bench for Oklahoma and finished the year with 10 receptions for 162 yards and three touchdowns. He followed it up with a breakout sophomore campaign, when he caught 26 passes for 396 yards and six touchdowns for the Sooners, averaging 15.23 yards per reception and earning first-team All-Big 12 honors.

He had just five catches for 79 yards in five games as a junior before he was sidelined due to injury.

Calcaterra will join a crowded tight end group next season, with the Tigers set to return redshirt junior John Samuel Shenker, redshirt freshmen Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm, and true freshmen J.J. Pegues and Brandon Frazier. Auburn also holds a commitment from three-star 2021 tight end Landen King.