2021 OU TE Grant Calcaterra (Update 1/8/20: Decommits from AU)

GwillMac6

9 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Why though?

Maybe we want one we can throw to. We only have 1 we can throw to but hew hasn't been able to play yet this season. If GC can get over his past concussions & be used effectively he could be a game changer for our O for a year or 2.

Just now, ellitor said:

Maybe we want one we can throw to. We only have 1 we can throw to but hew hasn't been able to play yet this season. If GC can get over his past concussions & be used effectively he could be a game changer for our O for a year or 2.

No like...why would he come here? I ask that about all our TE recruits. We don't get them the ball. It's beyond me. 

I believe that we are primed to make a run for the trophy over the next 2 years! We aren’t consistent, but haven’t been thru out the history of our program. We have some very good, young players. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We get 4* players? Damn. It's been a minute.

• Haha 1

I wish Grant had more than 1 year of eligibility. But still an awesome pickup for our Tigers. WAR EAGLE!!!

Edited by auburn4ever

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

No like...why would he come here? I ask that about all our TE recruits. We don't get them the ball. It's beyond me. 

@GTNupe11Well as I've said countless times most of the TEs we landed were not pass catchers. Plus we have Chad Morris now who may actually use a pass catcher if we get one.

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Calcaterra will join a crowded tight end group next season, with the Tigers set to return redshirt junior John Samuel Shenker, redshirt freshmen Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm, and true freshmen J.J. Pegues and Brandon Frazier. Auburn also holds a commitment from three-star 2021 tight end Landen King.

If King goes ahead and signs, that will be seven (7) TE's on the squad next season. If we had 7 QB's or 7 punters AU would be a laughing stock. 7 TE's is just as bad. Something ain't right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Since he had some bad concussions that forced him to quit football early last season plus the ongoing global bastard it's possible the NCAA will give him 2 more seasons.

This is what concerns me. I am hopeful he can overcome that history of concussions but....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

Same reason WRs keep coming here. We keep telling them that the other guys can't do the job, and that THEY're gonna be the guy to break the mold. 

So sick of this line that the players we have can't do stuff. If we're recruiting all these guys and after a season or two they can't do the thing we recruited them to do, then we need some new coaches, period. I don't care if it's because they can't evaluate, can't recruit or can't coach. They need to be replaced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Auskip said:

This is what concerns me. I am hopeful he can overcome that history of concussions but....

He should check with Terry Beasley before he straps on another football helmet.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Same reason WRs keep coming here. We keep telling them that the other guys can't do the job, and that THEY're gonna be the guy to break the mold. 

So sick of this line that the players we have can't do stuff. If we're recruiting all these guys and after a season or two they can't do the thing we recruited them to do, then we need some new coaches, period. I don't care if it's because they can't evaluate, can't recruit or can't coach. They need to be replaced.

Why would we recruit TEs who can't catch? That doesn't even smell right. Tyler Fromm can't catch? I do not believe that. We know Luke Deal can catch. Brandon Frazier?

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why would we recruit TEs who can't catch? That doesn't even smell right.

Gus is a heavy run coach who doesn't believe in using TEs much to catch passes. Not saying it's right or wrong but it fits his philosophy. For example, CJU was way underutilized as a receiver as it related to his actual talent level.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Tyler Fromm can't catch?

Not a real TE. More of a HB or Flex WR.

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

We know Luke Deal can catch

Yes but can he consistently get open?

Just now, ellitor said:

Not a real TE. More of a HB or Flex WR.

but he got recruited to play TE, correct?

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Yes but can he consistently get open?

I don't know. It is hard for me to say if that is a him issue or a scheme issue, but again, based on his HS stars, he  most definitely has shown he can catch.

The statement has been made that we don't recruit Catch passing TEs but the two examples above would prove that is not the case.

Just now, DAG said:

but he got recruited to play TE, correct?

Not as a true TE. Was recruited to play out of the backfield & as a Flex WR. He's going to have to get quite a bit bigger to expand that role to include more of a traditional TE. Also added a note on CJU in my original post FWIW.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

The statement has been made that we don't recruit Catch passing TEs but the two examples above would prove that is not the case.

What 2 examples? Fromm is not a true TE & Deal is a blocker who we've tossed a bone or 2 once in a blue moon. The only guy we have on roster that can be used as a traditional receiving TE is Frazier & he hasn't been able to go yet.

Just now, ellitor said:

What 2 examples? Fromm is not a true TE & Deal is a blocker who we've tossed a bone or 2 once in a blue moon. The only guy we have on roster that can be used as a traditional receiving TE is Frazier & he hasn't been able to go yet.

Why do we need to use a traditional TE! Mold him to a player you can use. Hell, Pitts from Florida is not a traditional TE, but I Guarantee you he will be the first one drafted. 

Just now, DAG said:

Why do we need to use a traditional TE! Mold him to a player you can use. Hell, Pitts from Florida is not a traditional TE, but I Guarantee you he will be the first one drafted. 

At 6'6 & 250 Pitts very much has the size & skillset to play numerous TE roles, including traditional, without having to be subbed based on the situation. On paper Frazier is our only guy on roster with that potential.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

At 6'6 & 250 Pitts very much has the size & skillset to play numerous TE roles, including traditional, without having to be subbed based on the situation. On paper Frazier is our only guy on roster with that potential.

You are back tracking all over the place. Kyle Pitts is absolutely not a traditional TE. He is athletic enough to do a lot of things, including line up at the Z (Something the typical traditional TE characteristically does not do). In fact, the traditional TE is a quality blocker which Pitts is not at the moment. It is one of the small flaws he has on his game. 

You just said we don't have catch passing TEs. I gave you an example of two guys who caught the ball out of high school. You then say, well we need traditional TEs. So why the hell have we not been recruiting these traditional TEs then?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you place an increased emphasis on blocking at the tight end position, then you may desire more from the Florida star, who is somewhat inconsistent in that area and doesn’t have the strength or density to be a force. But as a receiver, which is the primary function of tight ends in the modern NFL, Pitts has elite size, athleticism, and the over-arching versatility to be a matchup nightmare anywhere from the line of scrimmage to the boundary.

NFL scout analysis.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are back tracking all over the place. Kyle Pitts is absolutely not a traditional TE. He is athletic enough to do a lot of things, including line up at the Z (Something the typical traditional TE characteristically does not do). In fact, the traditional TE is a quality blocker which Pitts is not at the moment. It is one of the small flaws he has on his game. 

You just said we don't have catch passing TEs. I gave you an example of two guys who caught the ball out of high school. You then say, well we need traditional TEs.

Not back tracking at at. Having a TE that's able to stay on the field in all situations was my point to begin with even though I didn't state it clearly.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

So why the hell have we not been recruiting these traditional TEs then?

We have been. We just haven't been able to land them most of the time. Also forget I ever said traditional TE & think of it as guys that don't have to be subbed based on situation. There's also something to be said for Mullen using his skill players better to their strengths & abilities than Gus has. Another also, as great of a recruiter he is, I'm not sure Porter is a good TE coach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

. Another also, as great of a recruiter he is, I'm not sure Porter is a good TE coach.

Yeah Porter can bring the guys in but he’s not coaching anything. He’s the special teams coach too right?  And our ST’s ain’t too impressive either