2021 OU TE Grant Calcaterra (Update 1/8/20: Decommits from AU)

GwillMac6

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

BTW, Let me say I like this kid, but I am skeptical on how we will use him here.

No doubt & since you said that I will say I know you meant it as frustration on the program & not to disrespect GC but saying things like "is this some type of sick joke" as you did yesterday without adding some kind of context to show what you meant could be seen as very disrespectful to the player. I know If I was a player that just committed to AU & saw that post as a response I would be very annoyed.

Kid looks like a great and unexpected pick up, and hopefully he is used "properly", but the biggest concern is his history of concussions. Hopefully he stays healthy for his long-term sake.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No doubt & since you said that I will say I know you meant it as frustration on the program & not to disrespect GC but saying things like "is this some type of sick joke" as you did yesterday without adding some kind of context to show what you meant could be seen as very disrespectful to the player. I know If I was a player that just committed to AU & saw that post as a response I would be very annoyed.

If you were a player who just committed to a school of his wanting and you took that much solace in what someone, who couldn't tie your shoelaces, thought, I would think you have bigger problems to be honest. These young men live in twitter world E.

Edited by DAG

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

If you were a player who just committed to a school of his wanting and you took that much solace in what someone, who couldn't tie your shoelaces, thought, I would think you have bigger problems to be honest. These young men live in twitter world E.

None of that is the point. Being annoyed that someone disrespected you does not show an indication of bigger problems. If it consumes you then that would indicate bigger problems. Without context the sick joke comes close to breaking the no disparaging remarks to players/recruits rule our site has. All I'm asking is please add context in the future so it's clear we aren't disrespecting or disparaging recruits.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You are back tracking all over the place. Kyle Pitts is absolutely not a traditional TE. He is athletic enough to do a lot of things, including line up at the Z (Something the typical traditional TE characteristically does not do). In fact, the traditional TE is a quality blocker which Pitts is not at the moment. It is one of the small flaws he has on his game. 

You just said we don't have catch passing TEs. I gave you an example of two guys who caught the ball out of high school. You then say, well we need traditional TEs. So why the hell have we not been recruiting these traditional TEs then?

This is most definitely an example of a typical Ellitor circular argument filled with fallacy and inaccuracy, as you just pointed out.

This kid, Grant Calcaterra, is not in any way shape or form a "TE that can stay on the field for all snaps" either. So really, he fills no different "position" than Fromm hypothetically does - the only difference is that he's actually had some success and track record of performance. At 6'3 or 6'4 and ~230-235 pounds he is actually SMALLER than Fromm, and most certainly not Ellitor's example of a guy who can be used as a run blocker. We already know that Oklahoma does not use traditional "do it all" TE's in their offensive system that is even more pass happy than our own, so how then does this guy buk any trend for us? If you go and read any NFL draft profile from his time at Oklahoma, they all state that his weakness is inline blocking and the lack of strength to be that sort of "do it all" TE.

So Ellitor's argument seems to be that we have 10 TE's on roster, none of whom are used in the passing game because supposedly they're not "do it all" TE's...and yet we're bringing in another guy who most certainly isn't a "do it all" TE. In actuality, we have no success or utilization at the position because its a fundamental deficiency in our coach's offensive system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, metafour said:

At 6'3 or 6'4 and ~230-235 pounds he is actually SMALLER than Fromm

I was actually going to point this out as well as the fact that he definitely does not fit the traditional mold TE. But at this point I digress.

Another question I had was how do people feel he will fair in our conference? A lot of his damage is done in space, matched up against secondary players. My question specifically is, can we put him in a position to utilize his skillset against the defensive competition we will be facing. 

Edited by DAG

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I was actually going to point this out as well as the fact that he definitely does not fit the traditional mold TE. But at this point I digress.

Another question I had was how do people feel he will fair in our conference? A lot of his damage is done in space, matched up against secondary players. My question specifically is, can we put him in a position to utilize his skillset against the defensive competition we will be facing. 

If we throw to him I’m sure he’ll be okay. SEC defenses don’t look any better than Big 12 defenses this year

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

SEC defenses don’t look any better than Big 12 defenses if you put 11 of us out there this year

FIFY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

With the signing of Grant count towards the 2021 class?

@auburn4ever From earlier in the thread yesterday...

On 11/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, ellitor said:

That's the earliest he could enroll. We are full til then. He will count to the 2021 25 limit.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not back tracking at at. Having a TE that's able to stay on the field in all situations was my point to begin with even though I didn't state it clearly.

We have been. We just haven't been able to land them most of the time. Also forget I ever said traditional TE & think of it as guys that don't have to be subbed based on situation. There's also something to be said for Mullen using his skill players better to their strengths & abilities than Gus has. Another also, as great of a recruiter he is, I'm not sure Porter is a good TE coach.

Lol we have no clue how good of a TE coach Porter is. We throw to the TE like 5 times a season if we are lucky!!!! 

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol we have no clue how good of a TE coach Porter is. We throw to the TE like 5 times a season if we are lucky!!!! 

Just passing on what people who are connected to the program see/feel.

• augolf1716 unpinned this topic
  • 5 weeks later...
  • ellitor changed the title to 2021 OU TE Grant Calcaterra (Update 1/8/20: Decommits from AU)

I wasn't happy about bringing in a guy who has already suffered multiple concussions. I didn't ever understand why we offered him. Then there was his "War Eagle, at least for now" comment. I think both parties will be better off if he seeks other opportunities.