Sharife Cooper Eligibility Concerns?

Win4AU

My buddy just told me Sharife hasn’t been in Auburn or practicing with the team for a couple weeks.  Anyone hear anything like this?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

My buddy just told me Sharife hasn’t been in Auburn or practicing with the team for a couple weeks.  Anyone hear anything like this?

Yeah, it’s been a hot topic on the pay boards. Almost none of the mods have commented at all. Sounds like this has been going on behind the scenes for a little while. Also sounds like it deals with Cooper’s dad being an agent and how that impacts Sharife’s amateur status. 

54 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Yeah, it’s been a hot topic on the pay boards. Almost none of the mods have commented at all. Sounds like this has been going on behind the scenes for a little while. Also sounds like it deals with Cooper’s dad being an agent and how that impacts Sharife’s amateur status. 

...uhhh wtf? First I've heard of any of this. 

Well that would royally suck. Are they saying he took/solicited money from someone for Sharife's play? Not Auburn I mean (pretty sure it would be a bigger deal if that were the case), but how else could Coop's father being an agent impact his amateur status? Are agents not allowed to have children who play sports now?

19 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well that would royally suck. Are they saying he took/solicited money from someone for Sharife's play? Not Auburn I mean (pretty sure it would be a bigger deal if that were the case), but how else could Coop's father being an agent impact his amateur status? Are agents not allowed to have children who play sports now?

The problem is there really isn’t any info out there other than him playing is in question and he hasn’t practiced in a few weeks. So, there’s not an exact reason as to why this is happening. Don’t think there’s an insinuation of a pay-for-play type situation. Every credible person I’ve seen speak about it says no other players nor Auburn itself is involved. That seems to suggest there was some type of violation prior to Sharife getting to Auburn. Something like Sharife receiving a benefit from the agency or possibly being used by the agency as a representative to benefit the agency. It’s a murky situation IMO because it’s not often that you run into an agent/athlete situation. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

The problem is there really isn’t any info out there other than him playing is in question and he hasn’t practiced in a few weeks. So, there’s not an exact reason as to why this is happening. Don’t think there’s an insinuation of a pay-for-play type situation. Every credible person I’ve seen speak about it says no other players nor Auburn itself is involved. That seems to suggest there was some type of violation prior to Sharife getting to Auburn. Something like Sharife receiving a benefit from the agency or possibly being used by the agency as a representative to benefit the agency. It’s a murky situation IMO because it’s not often that you run into an agent/athlete situation. 

That's what I was trying to get at, that if it affected Auburn (or other players, though I hadn't really thought about that), it would be a bigger stink than just one player. You answered my question about how he could have lost amateur status without being paid by the school. Hopefully this will get worked out pretty quickly.

22 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Are they saying he took/solicited money from someone for Sharife's play?

@Rednilla Nothing difinitive like that. I was trying to keep it off the public boards til there was an actual report since we don't deal in rumors on this site but this is what I told Steele when he asked about it earlier...

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

NCAA is investigating his dad because in their eyes he went from a small time coach to becoming an agent & having an agency in no time & also had 5 players who was on the AAU team he was associated with end up going to AU. They're looking to see if there is anything fishy about it. Also JGT & an insider on the Bunker say they don't expect Cooper to play next week.

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

@boomstickMy post above is what I took from the insider's post on the Bunker FWIW.

Oh crap. Well if Coop isn't playing next week, I guess we should kiss any chance of knocking off Gonzaga goodbye. That sucks. I wonder how competitive we'll be without a true point out there?

• ellitor changed the title to Sharife Cooper Eligibility Concerns?
1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

@Win4AU He has been in AU, just not practicing.

2021 can't get here fast enough. Apparently 2020 is going to suck till the bitter end. 

I was really hoping this would not make it from the Bunker to here. It went from the Bunker to Montgomery talk radio then somehow it took a couple of days after that to make it to 247 and now it is here. SMH. sighhhhhh.

18 hours ago, Grumps said:

Why would he not be practicing? Doesn't it seem like he would still be practicing if his eligibility was only in doubt?

@Grumps AU has a history in recent years of holding guys out of practice when there were unresolved eligibility concerns from the NCAA.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was really hoping this would not make it from the Bunker to here. It went from the Bunker to Montgomery talk radio then somehow it took a couple of days after that to make it to 247 and now it is here. SMH. sighhhhhh.

Agreed. I was waiting til there was an actual report but this thread was created & out long enough for many people to see it before I saw it so there was no point trying to put the cat back in the bag by deleting the thread. Thank you, @tigerbrotha12, & others I know who have seen this info for nearly 2 weeks & sat on it by not posting it over here.

16 minutes ago, wcware said:

Why would you do anything to jeopardize you own child’s eligibility?

I don’t think there was any intent to jeopardize Sharife’s eligibility. Omar being an agent shouldn’t automatically jeopardize his child’s eligibility. Plus, Omar represents his daughter, who was just drafted into the WNBA. It’s not like he chose to become an agent to represent Sharife in the future and knowing that decision was likely to hinder Sharife’s ability to play in college. 

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I don’t think there was any intent to jeopardize Sharife’s eligibility. Omar being an agent shouldn’t automatically jeopardize his child’s eligibility. Plus, Omar represents his daughter, who was just drafted into the WNBA. It’s not like he chose to become an agent to represent Sharife in the future and knowing that decision was likely to hinder Sharife’s ability to play in college. 

Soooo does anyone know what the issue is then?

1 minute ago, wcware said:

Soooo does anyone know what the issue is then?

Not that I’ve seen. Every indication is the NCAA is interested in Omar being an agent and if Sharife might have benefitted from that. Some have pointed to a really nice car Sharife got for his birthday, but that was almost a year before Omar became an agent. So not really sure what’s going on. 

The 2020-21 Tigers are opening their season this week with two games in Florida. There is a question if one of the team's newcomers, five-star point guard Sharife Cooper, will be making the trip to Florida due to a question of over his eligibility. Neither Pearl nor other AU officials have commented on Cooper's status for this week's games. The coach was expected to have his final preseason news conference early this week, but a date for that has not been announced.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-basketball-announces-a-postseason-ban-for-2020-21-155250136/?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=201122_165527_AuburnTigers&utm_content=Link

Archived