AU Self-Imposes 2020-21 Postseason Ban

Maverick.AU

• ellitor changed the title to AU Self-Imposes 2020-21 Postseason Ban

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Wow we penalize ourselves so the NCAA doesn’t have to?  Meanwhile every other school gets a slap on the wrist!  I don’t understand.

seems like they're starting to gradually inform programs that there might be fire to the smoke. Bama got a 3 year probation and fine, but no ban. I imagine whatever Auburn was told was more severe than that. LSU is probably about to be smited if half of the rumors they have (as an entire athletics dept) is tangible, so they don't really stand to gain by doing anything but fighting...

I guess the thing that bothers me, isn't this the 2nd round of self imposed sanctions?

Are we doing this because we know what is coming and are trying to prevent receiving this next year, when we expect to be a better team with lots more experience?

1 minute ago, lutzcammed said:

I guess the thing that bothers me, isn't this the 2nd round of self imposed sanctions?

Are we doing this because we know what is coming and are trying to prevent receiving this next year, when we expect to be a better team with lots more experience?

We didn’t recruit for a whole season as a self imposed punishment. 

Auburn is the NCAA's punching bag. $aban and Smart cheat like hell in football recruiting and nothing happens to their precious programs. Auburn self imposes player suspensions (Purifoy and Wiley) and now we can't play post-season BB?? I am sick of the double standards in sports! By the way, Director Green, resign NOW!

With the recent penalties for Oklahoma State for very similar infractions it did seem inevitable that we were going to see a postseason ban. Might as well do it this season when we are likely to take a step back with so many young players. And plus we have no seniors so everyone will have a chance to come back and try again next season. It sucks but I see why they did it. Just hope it is enough for ncaa. 

12 minutes ago, Sully to Beasley said:

Auburn is the NCAA's punching bag. $aban and Smart cheat like hell in football recruiting and nothing happens to their precious programs. Auburn self imposes player suspensions (Purifoy and Wiley) and now we can't play post-season BB?? I am sick of the double standards in sports! By the way, Director Green, resign NOW!

I completely agree. Such bs Bama players freaking driving around in Chargers while Kirby pulling insane amounts of 5 stars despite mismanaging many of them. Especially QBs. Auburn has always gotten the short end of the stick. This wasnt even a darn recruiting violation. Literally no advantage for Pearl or Auburn in the Person case yet we sit one player a year and the other a year and a half and that's not enough. Basketball was becoming fun again for me, but this is borderline making me not give a rip. F the NCAA. Such a garbage organization.

If what Chick Person did behind the back of his own program is worth a post-season ban and/or recruiting bans then nothing less than the death penalty is appropriate for the likes of LSU, Louisville, Michigan State, North Carolina, etc...

Absolutely Ridiculous.

As others have said, there may not even be a post season; however, even if there is one, I honestly don't think taking the hit this season will be a huge loss for us. Our team will get 27 regular season games to develop, grow, get stronger, and so on. It would be very unusual for us to just impose this ban on ourselves without NCAA input. This was probably a gentleman's agreement and we're just going for it.

Next season would have been a much bigger loss. Having way more overall experience as a whole, and bringing in Jabari and Trey will have us in the top 1-4 of the SEC again. 

I don't like it, but I understand where the leadership is coming from. Take the hit now when we're "rebuilding" so we can move forward and not be crushed when we are expected to be very good.

Better to do it this year than take away next year when we expect to make a big run. 

WTH?? I guess we are just being proactive and with us not anticipating a deep tourney run it’s probably best. Time to end this crap and move on. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is possible the smartest thing to do with Covid . I would be surprised if the NCAA is just okay with this 

One can hope, just really hope they don’t plan on making AU and BP the example.

29 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is possible the smartest thing to do with Covid . I would be surprised if the NCAA is just okay with this 

Yes hopefully this has already been take care of already. If we aren’t at least fairly certain this will end it then what’s the point in being proactive? 

1 hour ago, wareagle7298 said:

So does this mean no SEC tourney either?

It reads like the ban is for anything post season. 

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

So you're thinking more to come?

Archived