AU Self-Imposes 2020-21 Postseason Ban

Maverick.AU

36 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Is the NCAA using Sharife Cooper as leverage? 

i.e. self impose a ban, be cooperative and maybe you'll get your point guard back?

@AUDevil I've wondered the same thing but I haven't seen any AU reporters or connecteds comment on that line of thinking.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, keesler said:

Auburn has punished themselves harshly - for all the public knows, Auburn hasn't even received a NOA from the NCAA.  We were told a couple of months ago in the investigation thread that Auburn would "lawyer up" if the NCAA tried to impose a post-season ban.  NOW we see that Auburn self-imposed a post season ban on their own.  So where the hell are the lawyers on our side?

Supposedly, we have the NOA and have had it for some time. Auburn has just chosen not to publicly release it. We aren't just pulling this stuff out of thin air. By all pertinent and informative accounts, we've been working with the NCAA on appropriate punishment and this is where things seem to have settled. I still expect scholarship reductions, fines, probation, and possibly more recruiting restrictions before all of this is done. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Bruce receive some type of individual punishment under the HC Responsibility charge. 

41 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Is the NCAA using Sharife Cooper as leverage? 

i.e. self impose a ban, be cooperative and maybe you'll get your point guard back?

Don't believe so. Apparently, Sharife's issue doesn't have anything to do with Auburn or his recruitment. It's all to do with his dad starting and agency and the NCAA wanting questions answered about certain things. According to Hooks, the Coopers have lawyered up in their quest to solve this issue. He just can't play at Auburn until he's made eligible by the NCAA, which apparently still hasn't happened. 

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUDevil I've wondered the same thing but I haven't seen any AU reporters or connecteds comment on that line of thinking.

I'll take the trade if it's just this year (realistic prognosticators don't have us making it far in the postseason let alone the SEC right now). 

FWIW Autigers07 says the ban was a move, that has approval from the NCAA as a part of the penalty related to the NOA. We'll still lose scholarships once it is final, but after they handed OSU their penalties, a postseason ban was inevitable. The coaching staff as well as Auburn's administration agreed with a decision to self impose a post season ban now instead of waiting the NCAA to do it for a later season & affect us with Jabari, Trey, & other recruiting in the immediate future.

Unfortunate kudos to those of you who still expect more from the NCAA as that's now what 07, JGT,very intuitive Boomstick up above, & a number of others connected to the program now feel.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Autigers07 says the ban was a move, that has approval from the NCAA as a part of the penalty related to the NOA. We'll still lose scholarships once it is final, but after they handed OSU their penalties, a postseason ban was inevitable. The coaching staff as well as Auburn's administration agreed with a decision to self impose a post season ban now instead of waiting the NCAA to do it for a later season & affect us with Jabari, Trey, & other recruiting in the immediate future.

Unfortunate kudos to those of you who still expect more from the NCAA as that's now what 07, JGT,very intuitive Boomstick up above, & a number of others connected to the program now feel.

My guess is we agreed with the NCAA that we'd announce the self-imposed postseason ban and that the NCAA would announce "more" punishment in the form of the scholarships, probation, and fines, which is all in line with what OKSt received.

22 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Autigers07 says the ban was a move, that has approval from the NCAA as a part of the penalty related to the NOA. We'll still lose scholarships once it is final, but after they handed OSU their penalties, a postseason ban was inevitable. The coaching staff as well as Auburn's administration agreed with a decision to self impose a post season ban now instead of waiting the NCAA.

We played shorthanded in 17-18 and 18-19 as a direct result of the suspensions and then the empty 2018 signing class. It really seems like AU should get time served here. Just hard to fathom why they would want more scholarships after all this- essentially 4 years of probation already and counting. Unreal.

39 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

We played shorthanded in 17-18 and 18-19 as a direct result of the suspensions and then the empty 2018 signing class. It really seems like AU should get time served here. Just hard to fathom why they would want more scholarships after all this- essentially 4 years of probation already and counting. Unreal.

@Sani-FreezeLikely because even then the sanctions aren't as strong as what the NCAA gave Okie St. who committed similar violations.

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Sani-FreezeLikely because even then the sanctions aren't as strong as what the NCAA gave Okie St. who committed similar violations.

At first glance, based on what you say others in the know are reporting, our punishment will be similar to OSU. The only difference I see is we will get our NCAA ban this BB season and not next season. We still will get scholarship reductions, limits on recruiting visits, reduced recruiting period, other recruiting limitations for coaches and who knows what they will zap on Coach Pearl.

So unless they know we only will lose scholarships and the Post season ban, it looks about the same to me, not less.

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

At first glance, based on what you say others in the know are reporting, our punishment will be similar to OSU. The only difference I see is we will get our NCAA ban this BB season and not next season. We still will get scholarship reductions, limits on recruiting visits, reduced recruiting period, other recruiting limitations for coaches and who knows what they will zap on Coach Pearl.

So unless they know we only will lose scholarships and the Post season ban, it looks about the same to me, not less.

@steeleagle I didn’t say it would be less. I said it had been less to this point. We made the ban announcement which probably came from an agreement with the NCAA and we also probably agreed with the NCAA for them to  announce whatever the rest is. That’s the trending thought from people connected to the program which I thought I had made clear in my previous post.

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

F#$K PAT FORDE is all I have to say. That dude will take any and every kind of cheap shot at AU. I really have no clue what we ever did to a got damn Mizzou grad to make him hate us that much. He is OBSESSED with taking down AU and writing copious amounts of negative articles about AU. Same as Wolken. Same as Thamel. The unholy trinity.

Forde made it his pinned tweet too... what a chode. Wolken called Hoke a moron too. Honestly, I think this all absolute garbage. I will thoroughly be pissed if we face more than KU, Arizona and LSU.

As long as Dave Didion is running point for us through this blatant overreach, then I'm good with their decision. 

On 11/22/2020 at 6:39 PM, NoALtiger said:

WTH?? I guess we are just being proactive and with us not anticipating a deep tourney run it’s probably best. Time to end this crap and move on. 

Bingo. It’s a gator in our pond and every so often we just chunk a pack of ribeyes out hoping it won’t come up and bite us.

NCAA needs to man up and do whatever they are going to do. 

This is death by a 1000 cuts. Self imposed bans. Self imposed player suspensions. Self imposed recruiting restrictions. Self imposed this. Self imposed that. Does ANY of it really matter to the NCAA? I hope they appreciate Auburn/BP's approach compared to the total opposite, antagonistic tone taken by the KU's and Arizona's of the world. OSU seemed to follow our script (less punitively though), and they got crucified. Having said that, apparently Lamont Evans DID NOT cooperate with the NCAA. That had to hurt OSU's cause. Can any of the insiders verify if Chuck has cooperated with the NCAA?

I know it’s easy to blame Chuck, but a half baked thought I have about it. Could he have taken a bullet for us in taking the plea?  The NCAA has no subpoena power.  The courts do. So by taking the plea he made it all that much harder for the NCAA to get information on that whole situation. Like I originally stated this is just a half-baked thought I had as I was reading thru this thread and how ppl are so upset with Chuck. Not saying he didn’t harm our program, but IF there was more to it. He may have saved this program at the same time by taking the plea. 

7 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

I know it’s easy to blame Chuck, but a half baked thought I have about it. Could he have taken a bullet for us in taking the plea?  The NCAA has no subpoena power.  The courts do. So by taking the plea he made it all that much harder for the NCAA to get information on that whole situation. Like I originally stated this is just a half-baked thought I had as I was reading thru this thread and how ppl are so upset with Chuck. Not saying he didn’t harm our program, but IF there was more to it. He may have saved this program at the same time by taking the plea. 

Sorry, i have read nothing....nothing that MAY have indicated that Person took a bullet for us or saved the program. To me taking a pleas is just his way of maybe getting a lesser deal than getting dragged through the media trying to fight it and then getting a worse sentence.

It would have been nice to think he tried to make amends in some way....but there is no 'reading between the lines' theory I can see.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:24 AM, GwillMac6 said:

F#$K PAT FORDE is all I have to say. That dude will take any and every kind of cheap shot at AU. I really have no clue what we ever did to a got damn Mizzou grad to make him hate us that much. He is OBSESSED with taking down AU and writing copious amounts of negative articles about AU. Same as Wolken. Same as Thamel. The unholy trinity.

He's mad because every time he writes a hit piece on AU, he gets proven wrong. It started with the Cam investigation, where he swore up and down there was something going on, and even the corrupt NCAA couldn't find anything. 

Auburn is clean and he wants so badly for them not to be so he can be right. 

36 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

That thought has crossed my mind, but by many accounts, Person is so out for himself that I don't think that came into play when he made his decision.

1 hour ago, TXaubie said:

Could he have taken a bullet for us in taking the plea?  

Interesting concept, the Rifleman taking a bullet for us. 

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

As long as Dave Didion is running point for us through this blatant overreach, then I'm good with their decision. 

For as much flack as he gets on here & other message boards Rich MxGlynn has supposedly put in some good work here too.

Question for myself as I am unfamiliar with the process. If/when the NCAA delivers scholarship reductions, does that typically mean current players on scholly as well as future schollys as well? How would they decide who keeps a scholarship and who doesn’t? 

NCAA does nothing but punish KIDS. They should honestly be disbanded.

2 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Question for myself as I am unfamiliar with the process. If/when the NCAA delivers scholarship reductions, does that typically mean current players on scholly as well as future schollys as well? How would they decide who keeps a scholarship and who doesn’t? 

NCAA does nothing but punish KIDS. They should honestly be disbanded.

@WarEagleHunter1221Penalties like that usually start the year after the current academic period the penalty is given.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

THis seems to be AUburn's MO when dealing with the NCAA these days. I hope that by Auburn making Wiley and Purifoy sit out a year and some months, that by doing that, then the NCAA when issuing our additional punishment, kept them from making us forfeit those games they COULD have played in.

And I assume by putting ourselves on NCAA postseason probation this year, that gets this out of the way too, since we were going to be a totally unknown, inexperienced team trying to even make the NCAAs this year. Next year is the year to put us back into top level contention.

Although, doing all this seems at times like the person who is going to hang for their crimes, and says "here, let me help by putting my own noose around my neck, so you(NCAA) don't have to deal with it". :)

Archived