Saban tests positive for Covid

Maverick.AU

I can totally see them canceling this game.  There is no time to make it up and there will be way too many affected if they start doing the trace contaminations.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m honestly not sure how I feel about this. I’ve always felt that Saban’s actual coaching skills were meh. His teams are mostly great because he puts together elite staffs and gets insanely elite players to fit the schemes of those staffs perfectly. In games, all I see from him is constant complaints to the refs, belittling his players and coaches over every little error, and honestly quite a bit of bad decision making (hello last decade of iron bowl history). I actually kind of wonder if they’ll play better without him there.

59 minutes ago, wareagle7298 said:

Outcome will probably be the same, but it does make for an interesting story for the game.  Does the SEC have any rules about the coach 'phoning it in'. In other words, can he talk with the coaches during the game remotely?

Yes they cannot phone in during the game or be involved in anyway. That’s the rule .

Wish Nick a fast and complete recovery . I hate having to play against a well coached Saben team but I have a lot of respect for Nick. I used to think he cheated, but have grown ( by the fact) that he is just a great coach that uses all things at his disposable to create a winning team. 🙏👍

I don’t see how this changes anything. Everybody always says , at least on here, NS is only good because he can recruit. Did his recruits catch COVID? 

21 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I can totally see them canceling this game.  There is no time to make it up and there will be way too many affected if they start doing the trace contaminations.

Cant unless they have multiple cases. Sec conducts the test with a third part y. All they or the schools get now us the results. So they have to have like 20% or more either test positive or contact quarantined .

26 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

He benefits from a scheme that that fits his strengths and really good players around him

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29ep2ma5woib71zu5nrl

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don’t see how this changes anything. Everybody always says , at least on here, NS is only good because he can recruit. Did his recruits catch COVID? 

Head coaches may not call the plays but they do decide when to aggressive and when not to on both sides of the ball. But like all successful coaches it is they have command of the players and affect their attitudes whether in a pregame or halftime speech , or chewing out or praising players after a play. 

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Head coaches may not call the plays but they do decide when to aggressive and when not to on both sides of the ball. But like all successful coaches it is they have command of the players and affect their attitudes whether in a pregame or halftime speech , or chewing out or praising players after a play. 

You aren’t wrong. I am just going off the logic that I see typed on this forum.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You aren’t wrong. I am just going off the logic that I see typed on this forum.

I agree . Nick is actually a good defensive backfield coach. Probably why that unit is always strong each year, but I thinks it is Nick’s management skills as well as his ability to close the deal with a recruit us what makes uat successful these days. He approaches it like a business leader and attacks weak points and uses his strengths when he can. I don’t like uat at all but I think Nick is a hell Of a coach. 

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree . Nick is actually a good defensive backfield coach. Probably why that unit is always strong each year, but I thinks it is Nick’s management skills as well as his ability to close the deal with a recruit us what makes uat successful these days. He approaches it like a business leader and attacks weak points and uses his strengths when he can. I don’t like uat at all but I think Nick is a hell Of a coach. 

Correct , kind of like almost every other successful leader. Maybe I am different but as a leader I would like to have elite people and workers under me, but maybe my logic is off.

16 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Cant unless they have multiple cases. Sec conducts the test with a third part y. All they or the schools get now us the results. So they have to have like 20% or more either test positive or contact quarantined .

The third party conducts the test, however they are not responsible for the folks involved in the contact quarantined.  Maybe I am wrong about that, but I don't see how 3rd party can say who has been in contact with person.  Based on that, they can easily say 20% of the team has been in contact with the HC.  Not to mention the other coaches may fall into the contact quarantine.  Again, these are all things that can be manipulated outside of the 3rd party.  I am not saying it will happen.  Just that I would not be surprised if it did.

57 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

My thoughts exactly.  Could get interesting. 

I would think there's a high probability that others will test positive before Saturday; it's a very contagious disease...

Reading the "Contact Protocol" posted previously, it would seem likely that other coaches would have been within 6 feet of Saban for more than 15 minutes over the previous 2 days, in meetings and during practice. If that is the case, wouldn't they also be required to quarantine, even if they do not test positive?

45 minutes ago, DAG said:

.... Did his recruits catch COVID? 

That is the catch!   Supposedly he has no idea where he got it,  there are no other problems with players or coaches.  He seems to be the only one having to isolate.  Seems suspicious.  

A  lot of things could change in the next few days...       A player  that gave it to Saban but had a false negative still around other players and coaches.   Since the day before his test, enough time will have passed that the tests can pick up the virus and give a positive in some he passed it on to.  etc.

One thing we know about this virus is that it can change storylines very quickly. 

48 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Wish Nick a fast and complete recovery . I hate having to play against a well coached Saben team but I have a lot of respect for Nick. I used to think he cheated, but have grown ( by the fact) that he is just a great coach that uses all things at his disposable to create a winning team. 🙏👍

See, that's the thing. At bama, the head coach doesn't have to cheat. The REC (Red Elephant Club) does it for them. Remember all those Dodge Chargers? Those sweet suits from that Tuscaloosa men's shop? The never ending "house sitting" gigs for parents in luxury homes? They have a machine...

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

Isn’t it protocol that if you test positive then people you have been in contact with also have to quarantine? I would think several players on the team would fall into that category?

Supposed to. He probably came in contact with all the coaches and most players.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Yes they cannot phone in during the game or be involved in anyway. That’s the rule .

I will miss seeing this at opportune moments. 

PastelLiquidBarracuda-max-1mb.gif

5 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

That is the catch!   Supposedly he has no idea where he got it,  there are no other problems with players or coaches.  He seems to be the only one having to isolate.  Seems suspicious.  

Well, since Saban is actually showing symptoms, I don't see how the SEC's quarantine guidelines can fail to have some effect on coaches and players. Basically, the way I read the guidelines, Saban would have to have had close contact for less than 15 minutes cumulatively with coaches or players in recent days. Is that even possible? 

(Guidelines for quarantine in my earlier post.)

Well since Gary Danielson and Nick are such good friends, Gary can just call the plays down. The CBS broadcast will probably become the Nick Saban show for 3 hours.

Archived