Genuine Q about Iron Bowl

AUght2win

19 hours ago, aubaseball said:

People forget that besides the running backs being injured, Auburn was on equal footing in all other areas if not better.   

As an AU fan, I'm looking for reasons to believe that AU can win. Nothing personal towards you or Viper or anyone else, but I'm not looking for "fans" to give reasons that AU will lose. That has gotten way past old on this forum for me.

War Eagle!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

As an AU fan, I'm looking for reasons to believe that Au can win. Nothing personal towards you or Viper or anyone else, but I'm not looking for "fans" to give reasons that AU will lose. That has gotten way past old on this forum for me.

War Eagle!

Absolutely agree! I have been on this board for years. I never posted and eventually forgot my username and password. I’m a “negative Nancy SOB” but some folks on here make me look like Pollyanna! 
War Eagle beat bama! #60minutes 

3 hours ago, fredst said:

People love to say “It’s a rivalry game, anything can happen”. But the truth is the favorite almost always wins the AU-UA game, particularly when one team is clearly superior. Bama is the better team in all phases of the game and at all positions. Like it or not point spreads are usually pretty accurate. If we lose by less than 20 I’ll be pleasantly surprised; if we won it would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the series. I’ll be pulling and hoping for an Auburn victory but the odds are so long I’ll probably go deer hunting instead of sitting in front of the TV. Hope I get in my truck and get shocked by word of an Auburn win but I won’t be holding my breath.

What will happen is these same folks posing questions and not being able to handle the opposite opinion will say Alabama is a great team. They are more talented and of course they beat us, they have better recruits . Just watch. 

24 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

As an AU fan, I'm looking for reasons to believe that Au can win. Nothing personal towards you or Viper or anyone else, but I'm not looking for "fans" to give reasons that AU will lose. That has gotten way past old on this forum for me.

War Eagle!

Then “forums” that include “realists” and not just “fantasy” are not for you. 

1 hour ago, fredst said:

You’re right. And, that ‘72 team was the definition of “special”. This team is trying hard but just has limitations that are hard to see them overcoming 

It also took two blocked punts to become the reigning all-time IB upset. 

Sure, if we hold bammer to 16 points tomorrow, we can win...no blocked punts needed. 

That ain’t happening unless Jones, Harris & Smith all test positive prior to 2:30 PM.

6 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I think that's a silly way to look at football or any sport. It's a product of marketing by Nick Saban. Every press conference after an L: "We didn't play well. We didn't execute." Well, I imagine they'd execute just fine against air. Maybe their struggles have something to do with their opponent?

I have always found that argument to be flawed as well. I mean, based on that, any and every game could be narrowed down to one team playing well and one team not playing well. 

I ultimately am a believer that when it comes to two teams with similar talent, there are a handful of plays that determine the outcome. Usually 4-5 max. Win those plays..win the game. When its a game like this one and one team is favored by 25, you need a little more help from the Grid iron Gods.

If you go back throughout history though, nearly every NC has at least one game where the argument could be made that they didn't play well, or their opponent played up to the competition and made the game very close. Bama has not had that game yet. Even Clemson in the weak ACC has one every year against a far inferior opponent. Is this game tomorrow in BDS? I hope so. 

Either way I will support the team 100% and hoping for a victory. War Damn Eagle!.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Every week you guys fall for the same set up thread by the same person.....

I can't imagine what kind of human you are if you are half as vindictive and petty IRL. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Every week you guys fall for the same set up thread by the same person.....

It definitely could be copy and paste at this point. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

You fellas are so above it. So elite. So wise. I am humbled you even read what I write. 

Just now, AUght2win said:

You fellas are so above it. So elite. So wise. I am humbled you even read what I write. 

I don't have an issue with your thread as much as the tangents that these threads get off on. They tend to run full circle and repeat a lot of things in other threads. And they may or may not be your threads, that wasn't really the point of my post because I wasn't directing it at you. You aren't the only one posting. Just in general some of the arguments and excuses are tired. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't have an issue with your thread as much as the tangents that these threads get off on. They tend to run full circle and repeat a lot of things in other threads. And they may or may not be your threads, that wasn't really the point of my post because I wasn't directing it at you. You aren't the only one posting. Just in general some of the arguments and excuses are tired. 

I gotcha. No harm no foul.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:13 AM, AUght2win said:

I fully understand we are not a championship caliber team. We have serious holes. Including the ones in our coach's head. We are very fortunate to be 5-2, and I wouldn't pick us to win Saturday.

That said, why are so many convinced Saturday will be a blowout? Or that a win would be the biggest upset in the rivalry's history? I don't see it, and it's less to do with us and more to do with our opponent. 

Alabama has an otherworldly offense. But it's without its best player. And I don't see us giving up too many explosive plays to an offense sans Waddle.

On the other side of the ball, their defense is the worst, IMO, since Saban's been there - Ole Miss put up 650 yards on them, and they don't play very well against the run.

I think we actually may match up well against them. If we can run the ball (we should be able to) and limit huge chunks through the air (we should be able to), then I think the game will be shortened and we definitely will have a shot in the 4th.

But to those who say otherwise, aside from a lot of offensive talent (which Alabama always has), why are you convinced this one won't be close? 

big question is  is  our tank is wrecked

2 hours ago, Viper said:

It also took two blocked punts to become the reigning all-time IB upset. 

Sure, if we hold bammer to 16 points tomorrow, we can win...no blocked punts needed. 

That ain’t happening unless Jones, Harris & Smith all test positive prior to 2:30 PM.

nothing is impossible, as Saben said 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

The extreme legit changes on a weekly basis. It’s laughable at this point.

4 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I can't imagine what kind of human you are if you are half as vindictive and petty IRL. 

Lol what's with you? Are you a soap opera writer or are you really that dramatic? You don't realize you do something and when it's pointed out it's all this? And even though you make up most of what you say this is still real life......it's a forum. And what's up with the grown men on this board saying petty all the time? That was mostly feminine talk when I came up

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The extreme legit changes on a weekly basis. It’s laughable at this point.

What's most laughable in this thread is we have a very small handful that truly believe "we match up well against them," so it won't be a blowout. But they have provided no stats how we match up with them. Their only precedent in trying to win this debate is the bammer/Ole Miss game and omit the rest of the games and stats.

So let's check the tale of ALL the tape and not just cherry-pick...

Scoring Offense:

Alabama 49.4

Auburn 28.6

Rushing Offense:

Alabama 182.4

Auburn 170.4

Passing Offense:

Alabama 366.1

Auburn 232.4

Scoring Defense:

Alabama 19.3

Auburn 22.0

Rushing Defense:

Alabama 118.8

Auburn 165.4

Passing Defense:

Auburn 237.0

Alabama 240.3

Turnover Margin

Alabama 12 gained / 7 lost

Auburn 10 gained / 6 lost

Ahh yes...the only area "we match up well with them" is their Passing Defense, so let's exploit that because "we match up well with them." So our plan is to take our Passing Offense that's averaged 232.4/game and expose the defense that gives up a whopping 8 more yards per game? That's how "we match up well with them"???

Yes, that alone will overcome a 24-point difference...on the road...a place where Nix averages 1.1 INTs/game.

All I'm saying is, if the matchups on paper always played out as predicted, I wouldn't be nearly dead last in my fantasy league.

Focus on the ground game and play the time of possession. Keep it a low scoring game and we've got a puncher's chance.

War Eagle fellas! Keep the booze handy thought 😅

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

All I'm saying is, if the matchups on paper always played out as predicted, I wouldn't be nearly dead last in my fantasy league.

Focus on the ground game and play the time of possession. Keep it a low scoring game and we've got a puncher's chance.

War Eagle fellas! Keep the booze handy thought 😅

What? Fantasy is based on individual players talent. I am not following. I am all for optimism but I think it needs to be sprinkled with realism as well. I don’t understand why people are pissed because the fan base understands based on past performance this Auburn team may not have a high percentage chance against this Bama squad. It will be a pleasant surprise for lots if we win this game. 

The 25 point spread seems ridiculous if you ask me.  I know Bama has completely destroyed most of their  opponents this year, but I just don’t see it unless Bo throws 3 picks or something.  I don’t necessarily like our chances of winning the game, but I don’t feel like it would be the monumental upset of all time if we won either.  War Eagle 

35 minutes ago, Amwest20 said:

unless Bo throws 3 picks

Maybe Vegas sees the same. He is not known for playing well against good teams on the road. We need the hero called "Home Bo" but the hero we get is Road Bo.

Archived