If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Worried about being like Tennessee. Good Lord, we better start worrying about the fact we have become Tennessee, Mississippi(s), etc. At this point it's just freaking time to breakup with Gus. If someone made a movie about his Auburn coaching stint it would air on Lifetime. His neighbors would be saying things like how he seems like such a nice guy, and how they never thought he would ever kill a football program. 

Auburn is still better than Tennessee and the Mississippi’s and will continue to be.  Tier 1 - Bama, UGA, and now Florida

Tier 2 - LSU, TaMu, Auburn

Tier 3 - Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, UK

Tier 4 - Everyone else

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Okay. This recruiting knock is nonsensical. Gus has put together some of the best recruiting classes we’ve ever had. The lowest ranked one I believe had several players like Seth Williams that were way under ranked. If you are talking about this year’s class, I don’t think you should fixate on it too much. Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet. So, the recruiting knock really doesn’t hold up.

The offensive line recruiting has been atrocious for years. And I'll believe a strong finish in this class when I see it.

BTW, Oregon did win their conference last year.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Next year we will still have another underwhelming OL and DL we are trending in the wrong direction. So no. Next year is not our year nor is any year under Gus.

Why do you expect no i.provement on the lines. The offensive line play has developed significantly this year. The defensive line has improved as well. You really don't see that?

Just now, Win4AU said:

Auburn is still better than Tennessee and the Mississippi’s and will continue to be.  Tier 1 - Bama, UGA, and now Florida

Tier 4 - Everyone else

Well, TaMU, Ole Miss, Arkansas and to some extent, UK are on the rise.  LSU just won a natty, but took a one year hiatus. We'll see how they fare next season. We don't have a very good track record against them lately.

UT looks to be treading water, but recruiting has taken a bump upwards. (I personally can't stand Pruitt, but I don't think he is any less of a HC than Malzahn)

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I feel kind of the same about Blanton. It’s good, but I’ve had better bourbon. Tried anything from Rabbit Hole?

I have not.  Been drinking a lot of Texas bourbons lately.  The TX Pot Still is really good a cheap price point ($30 a bottle).

9 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Worried about being like Tennessee. Good Lord, we better start worrying about the fact we have become Tennessee, Mississippi(s), etc. At this point it's just freaking time to breakup with Gus. If someone made a movie about his Auburn coaching stint it would air on Lifetime. His neighbors would be saying things like how he seems like such a nice guy, and how they never thought he would ever kill a football program. 

Good grief. We haven't come close to the ineptitude of post-Fulmer Tennessee.

Just now, TigerOne said:

Everyone needs to go to bed and forget this disaster. Auburn will beat Texas Am next week.

Don't bet on it, and don't sleep on our inability to stop Leach after that.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is your problem.  You think Angel's Envy is expensive.  Angel's Envy is Gus.  Mid-range, mid-tier.

We're shooting for Pappy Van Winkle over here.  And if not that, at least some Blanton's.

Exactly. Comparing Gus to Makers or even Angels is an insult to decent (but not great) whiskey. Gus is more like Basil Hayden: expensive packaging but funky with a weak and underwhelming finish. I want a damn George T Stagg coach: high octane, kick-your-ass power with a smooth and satisfying finish. Hell, at this point Gus is Rebel Yell or Jim Beam white label poured into an expensive bottle

10 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I feel kind of the same about Blanton. It’s good, but I’ve had better bourbon. Tried anything from Rabbit Hole?

Blanton’s was better about 5 years ago when it was $20 cheaper and aged longer. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Don't bet on it, and don't sleep on our inability to stop Leach after that.

Just don’t be surprised when Auburn wins 

13 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tier 4 - Everyone else

Did you see the scores of those games with Bama?

UT- basically the same score. 

Ole Miss- they actually hung in there with them.

Miss. St.- worse beating but a blowout is a blowout in reality.

Yes, we beat Tenn and OM but  things aren't trending up for us. Tier 1 is the only one that matters. Tier 2-4 are runners up. 

1 minute ago, fredst said:

Exactly. Comparing Gus to Makers or even Angels is an insult to decent (but not great) whiskey. Gus is more like Basil Hayden- expensive packaging but funky with a weak and underwhelming finish. I want a damn George T Stagg coach- high octane, kick-your-ass power with a smooth and satisfying finish. Hell, at this point Gus is Rebel Yell or Jim Beam white label poured into an expensive bottle

But don’t go Stagg Jr. you wind up with a Mike Leach. 

6 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tier 4 - Everyone else

Without completely brain farting and hiring an idiot, isn’t this the level that 1/2 of the coaches could keep Auburn?

what Gus is doing isn’t anything earth shattering and something that numerous coaches couldn’t replicate 

Call me a sunshine pumper but nothing about Texas A&M screams a loss.  Miss State actually does make me nervous.  1). I’m thinking about trying to make that game and. 2) It would be very JABA to lose to Leach in year 1 after a good win against TaMu.

Bring on Northwestern or Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl!

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

But don’t go Stagg Jr. you wind up with a Mike Leach. 

True dat. Although the most recent Jr was really good. Before that, all fire and oak.....so, not Gus, lol

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Tier 4 - Everyone else

I disagree. For me it’s:

Tier 1- Bama, UGA

Tier 2- UF, Auburn, LSU

Tier 3- TAMU, UK, Ole Miss 

Tier 4- Everyone else

Tier 5- Vandy

UF looks good this year, but they also play an easier schedule. I’m also not convinced they are just going to reload next year and do it again like you see with Bama and Alabama. If they look just as good next year, I’d change my mind. 
I don’t buy the TAMU hype. TAMU is the Tennessee of the SEC west. Every year, the media claims this will be the year they turn it around, and it never happens. They have one marquis win this year over Florida. Other than that, they’ve looked pretty meh. I mean they barely beat vandy. Maybe it’s that I think Jimbo is a bad coach. Maybe it’s because I think they don’t have a legitimate threat at QB. But I have them on a tier below us.

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

Without completely brain farting and hiring an idiot, isn’t this the level that 1/2 of the coaches could keep Auburn?

what Gus is doing isn’t anything earth shattering and something that numerous coaches couldn’t replicate 

Wasn’t saying anything about Gus.  I was saying Auburn isn’t a Mississippi or a Tennessee.  

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Did you see the scores of those games with Bama?

UT- basically the same score. 

Ole Miss- they actually hung in there with them.

Miss. St.- worse beating but a blowout is a blowout in reality.

Yes, we beat Tenn and OM but we are things aren't trending up for us. Tier 1 is the only one that matters. Tier 2-4 are runners up. 

Bama also beat UGA 41-24 so comparing scores against them isn’t what I would go by but to each their own.

3 hours ago, AuMarine said:

The problem is that Alabama’s defense can be attacked .. but you actually have to have a sound game plan to do that.. something our head guy can’t do. 

Saban nor Dabocoaching AU could have willed a victory against this bama team. It was an easy dime for those paying attention. 

Now I give full credit for recruiting to Gus, and IIWII, but on this day, this game, the dime was predictable and expected. Hope you got it.

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

This. To continue the whiskey analogy: we ARE paying for Pappy Van Winkle but getting Jim Beam. Gus should be fired just out of principle if people don’t think the results justify it. People are using the contract to justify keeping Gus; it should be the justification for firing his incompetent a**

From what I saw, Auburn lost big in the trenches. The lack of OL recruitment and development has hurt us immensely and going into this season that was one of my biggest fears... I believe Bicknell is a step in the right direction but 2020 was not the year we'd patch things up.

The defensive step back is a concern. I know we haven't been awful at least by the numbers but it's been painful to watch this year, especially our secondary. And if we don't find a way to salvage this year's recruiting class we're going to be in a world of hurt sooner rather than later. As much as I  appreciate what Steele has been able to do, our top-down failure to support Malzahn's requests for facility upgrades is killing us in COVID year.

I heard it said best- Auburn didn't get beat by a better team today. It was beat by a better program. I wouldn't she'd a tear if Malzahn were let go tonight, but he's not the root. It's like I said at the end of the 2018 season, either Auburn needs to be all in on Malzahn or cash out. The longer we keep playing that game, the deeper the hole we dig for ourselves.

Archived