If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

I think I've made my thoughts on Gus fairly well known but here is the hard truth...

What does Auburn want to be in football and if its more than just mostly good, some bad and a few exceptional seasons when all the planets align then something has to change.  I don't know what so I'm not going to pretend to understand what all has/does happen behind the scenes at Auburn that prevents them from reaching a different level.  Is it boosters meddling? Politics?  Famblee issues?  I have no idea.  So its hard for me to say what the fix is.  Truth is that if this is what Auburn WANTS to be then we HAVE the right guy.  Gus is 8-4.  Thats it.  He may slip up and win 10 here and there and may even back into another SEC title at some point if all the right things come together but he will never be consistently more than that.  Look at Iowa under Ferentz.  They are the very definition of mostly good, sometimes bad and rarely great.  And that dude has been there for like 20 years because Iowa folks are good with it.  They apparently don't aspire to be Ohio State or Penn State.  They are good with being middle tier.  Maybe this isn't a coach problem but an expectation problem.  Maybe we're just Iowa?  I don't know. 

I say again, if THIS is what Auburn wants to be then we have the right guy.  We probably won't have to worry about a 3-9 type season under Gus but we won't see many 10 plus win seasons either.  

So this whole debate is really just a difference in perspective about where we want the program to be.  We've seen that Auburn can compete at a high level, but its been rare that we've seen it compete there for more than a season or two at a time.  Maybe its just not in the cards.  

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AUBourne said:

It is at Penn State. Not a neutral site. 

Possibly the neutral site thing saved us.

But can I say how nice it would've been if JJ hadn't been so in love with Clemson?

4 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Possibly the neutral site thing saved us.

But can I say how nice it would've been if JJ hadn't been so in love with Clemson?

What’s the big deal? We only played Clemson 243 times in 4 years. 🤷‍♂️

On 11/29/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bo Didley said:

Personal beliefs of speaking positive and things come true is a thing among a lot of people especially in the Bible Belt. 

HMMM!?? If positive thinking works,   then this might work too.  not that I advocate that.    Great short film..

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Well since nothing has been done, that makes Auburn look like the biggest loser in the SEC. More so then Vandy.

Especially when muschamps buyout was over $15 mil total. We have way more money and resources than the Gamecocks so this BS about COVID and not having the money is bull crap. January 1 2021 his buyout is $16.2 mil. I’d honestly fire him then but before that let my top candidates know this is happening 100%. Or have Gus amend his contract so he can get out and find a new job somewhere else now. 

It makes you wonder if Malzahn has some incriminating pictures on some of the PTB and threatens to release them. Or, it could be as nixtosanders wrote, the PTB are perfectly content with a mediocre program, as long as he beats Bama every 2-3 years. Apparently beating Georgia or a fully-loaded LSU team on a somewhat regular basis doesn't matter to them. AU has already lost the future at RB, who was committed for over a year to Auburn. Maybe he'll re-commit, but I kinda doubt it. Matthew Hill, one of the top 4 recruits from 2018 has put in to the transfer portal. Two of our top OL recruits flipped to other teams. I just fail to see what keeping this man one more year is going to accomplish for Auburn. My fear is he'll push us further behind than he already has. 

On 12/1/2020 at 1:35 PM, tbone1430 said:

Especially when muschamps buyout was over $15 mil total. We have way more money and resources than the Gamecocks so this BS about COVID and not having the money is bull crap. January 1 2021 his buyout is $16.2 mil. I’d honestly fire him then but before that let my top candidates know this is happening 100%. Or have Gus amend his contract so he can get out and find a new job somewhere else now. 

75% guaranteed, right?  That gets it down to $12.1MM and just for being the stubborn arse that Gus has been, AU should take him to the table and negotiate it be paid out over 12-18 months.  If he has an issue with those terms then he can get a lawyer.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

75% guaranteed, right?  That gets it down to $12.1MM and just for being the stubborn arse that Gus has been, AU should take him to the table and negotiate it be paid out over 12-18 months.  If he has an issue with those terms then he can get a lawyer.

I’m not sure but either way it shouldn’t be enough cash to hold up the inevitable if our PTB truly care any about this program’s direction. 

On 11/29/2020 at 7:08 PM, Bo Didley said:

Personal beliefs of speaking positive and things come true is a thing among a lot of people especially in the Bible Belt. 

Well, there's your proof that Joel Osteen is not an Auburn fan...

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, there's your proof that Joel Osteen is not an Auburn fan...

Jokes aside. I made the statement because it seemed people were dogging the optimistic people. The forum drama of people getting upset etc etc is beyond my scope. 
I was simply making a point that people have personal convictions that shouldn’t be judged by the masses. 

On 12/1/2020 at 12:05 AM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

HMMM!?? If positive thinking works,   then this might work too.  not that I advocate that.    Great short film..

I enjoyed the film. 

The statement was made because it seemed optimistic people were under fire for not dogging their team. 
I grew up in a home with the speak it, it will happen mentally but it’s not me. I’m a greasy guy who is about to retire from the Army. I didn’t understand some of the forum dynamics before I posted. 

On 12/2/2020 at 8:57 PM, Bo Didley said:

The statement was made because it seemed optimistic people were under fire for not dogging their team.

Haven't seen anyone dogging the TEAM. A lot of folks dogging the performance of the Head Coach, the PTB, the BoT, the administration that's running football, etc. Big difference IMO.

Archived