Jump to content
Null

If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Gus versus Cristobal- Toss up with a slight Gus lean. Cristobal had a senior heavy team and a first round QB last year, and they couldn’t win that wimpy conference. This year... well I address that specifically in my post. He just lost to a horrible team. For me, my biggest Gus complaint is one unacceptable loss a year. So, to me, Cristobal seems like he could be even with Gus. In that case, I’d rather stick with the status quo... the devil you know if you will. 
 

Ficknell versus Gus- Still Gus. Ficknell has done good things with that program, but he’s never been in charge of a power 5 team. On top of that, he has not left Ohio in his career. That makes me think he’d be hesitant to come here anyway, but that could also lead to recruiting problems especially early on. So much of recruiting is knowing the local coaches in the areas you want to recruit in. For me, there’s just too many question makes with hiring him, and that’s assuming he wants to leave Ohio. 
 

Napier versus Gus. Gus hands down would be my answer. He’s achieved modest success in a group of five conference. There’s nothing in his history that screams likelihood of success here. As a case for comparison, someone else had almost similar success with a group of five school from Louisiana... Derek Dooley.

 

The best option in this bunch I think would be Ficknell, but I still have concerns that he could actually bring the program down from where it is now. He’d either be a great hire, or he’d completely flop. But again, I don’t see him leaving the Midwest. 

 

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

i agree though i suspect we lose one of the next two games. Gus isn't going anywhere this year. It is delusional to think he will be fired. Next year sets up nicely for a run at it all. if it doesn't manifest I'll join the chorus of fire gus but he has done enough and shone enough to make me believe this team will be pretty damn special next year. 

Lol it's always next year with gus but yet when next year doesn't happen we still hear the same thing which is next year!

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here is what I believe and have believed: Auburn fans in real life are addicted to the role of the underdog. It just provides such an awesome storyline and Auburn fans love storylines. Its the li

You have to give Gus credit for one thing he is never short on excuses. He is a guy that can blow up a building and look you straight in the eye and say “ a few more bricks and we would have been just

Whats covid got to do with it? They developed a 3 star qb, surrounded him with talent and run a modern offense. This not Bama best team under Saban.  They recruit well. Alabama's current oline cl

Posted Images

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

 

Lol it's always next year with gus but yet when next year doesn't happen we still hear the same thing which is next year!

9 years. It isn't changing one bit. Say we win a bunch of games and lose to one strong caliber team by a fg, but we still don't win our division or play for the SEC championship, folks will still be saying one more year. I treat some of these folks like undecided voters a weekend before the election, if you can't figure it out now, you never will.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, shabby said:

i agree though i suspect we lose one of the next two games. Gus isn't going anywhere this year. It is delusional to think he will be fired. Next year sets up nicely for a run at it all. if it doesn't manifest I'll join the chorus of fire gus but he has done enough and shone enough to make me believe this team will be pretty damn special next year. 

And then what? 7 more years of 4 loss seasons?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Okay. This recruiting knock is nonsensical. Gus has put together some of the best recruiting classes we’ve ever had. The lowest ranked one I believe had several players like Seth Williams that were way under ranked. If you are talking about this year’s class, I don’t think you should fixate on it too much. Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet. So, the recruiting knock really doesn’t hold up.

 

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Okay. This recruiting knock is nonsensical. Gus has put together some of the best recruiting classes we’ve ever had. The lowest ranked one I believe had several players like Seth Williams that were way under ranked. If you are talking about this year’s class, I don’t think you should fixate on it too much. Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet. So, the recruiting knock really doesn’t hold up.

Pfffffffffffft that's a got damn lie. We are not in it for any elite level recruits let alone several. This will be our worst recruiting year since chiziks first make shift class and it won't be close.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Okay. This recruiting knock is nonsensical. Gus has put together some of the best recruiting classes we’ve ever had. The lowest ranked one I believe had several players like Seth Williams that were way under ranked. If you are talking about this year’s class, I don’t think you should fixate on it too much. Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet. So, the recruiting knock really doesn’t hold up.

Has is the key word. Our recruiting class right now is borderline tragic and we haven't signed a legitimate OT in forever outside of transfers.

The problem is the difference between a top 15 and top 5 class is HUGE

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Have no answers for your questions but I guess your OK with....................

PXL_20201129_021602624.jpg

lets just keep going the same old same old if so lets justs

God we have got to do something this is just misery

Im a whiskey drinker. I’m not really a fan of Makers Mark, a relative inexpensive drinkable yet unimpressive bourbon. I find Jack Daniels revolting. I love Angels Envy, a delicious yet more expensive option. Letsvsay someone set two glasses in front of me one was identified as makers Mark. For the other, they tell me there’s a small chance this is Angels, but a better chance it is Jack Daniels. In this scenario, I’m taking the Makers Mark. As much as I’d love to have Angels Envy, I’d really really rather not have Jack. Even though I’m unimpressed with makers Mark, it’s not worth the risk for angels when the probability of me getting it is so low.

Thats how I feel here. I’m not a Gus fan. But I see few scenarios where we trade up. It is more likely that we end up like Tennessee than we end up like Clemson. It’s more likely that we make a hire that’s worse than Gus than us making a hire that’s better. This isn’t about me liking Gus or being okay with things. It’s more about me not believing we can get a better option. That’s probably why you can’t answer my questions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

 

Lol it's always next year with gus but yet when next year doesn't happen we still hear the same thing which is next year!

This year we have two very young offensive lines. What did you think this year would be like. 5 and 3 playing only conference games with zero experience on either line. So yes. Next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Has is the key word. Our recruiting class right now is borderline tragic and we haven't signed a legitimate OT in forever outside of transfers.

The problem is the difference between a top 15 and top 5 class is HUGE

This the secret to success for the UA,

clemson, OSU. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Zac Blackerby in my opinion is the most objective of the Auburn podcasters/reporters. He said earlier this week that his sources are all saying the recruiting class is actually likely to finish very strong, citing that he’d heardseveral elite level players have essentially picked Auburn but haven’t announced yet

The unannounced elite doesn't usually turn out well for us. Hope they didn't watch this game to help them make a decision. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, shabby said:

This year we have two very young offensive lines. What did you think this year would be like. 5 and 3 playing only conference games with zero experience on either line. So yes. Next year. 

Next year we will still have another underwhelming OL and DL we are trending in the wrong direction. So no. Next year is not our year nor is any year under Gus.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Has is the key word. Our recruiting class right now is borderline tragic and we haven't signed a legitimate OT in forever outside of transfers.

The problem is the difference between a top 15 and top 5 class is HUGE

Don’t think you’ve read my whole post. The expectation from insiders is that this class is actually going to finish pretty strong.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Im a whiskey drinker. I’m not really a fan of Makers Mark, a relative inexpensive drinkable yet unimpressive bourbon. I find Jack Daniels revolting. I love Angels Envy, a delicious yet more expensive option. Letsvsay someone set two glasses in front of me one was identified as makers Mark. For the other, they tell me there’s a small chance this is Angels, but a better chance it is Jack Daniels. In this scenario, I’m taking the Makers Mark. As much as I’d love to have Angels Envy, I’d really really rather not have Jack. Even though I’m unimpressed with makers Mark, it’s not worth the risk for angels when the probability of me getting it is so low.

Thats how I feel here. I’m not a Gus fan. But I see few scenarios where we trade up. It is more likely that we end up like Tennessee than we end up like Clemson. It’s more likely that we make a hire that’s worse than Gus than us making a hire that’s better. This isn’t about me liking Gus or being okay with things. It’s more about me not believing we can get a better option. That’s probably why you can’t answer my questions. 

Lol here we go. Took long enough. Can't believe it took this long for one of the sunshine pumpers to bring up the "BuT wE CoUlD eND uP LiKe Tennessee" recycled talking point.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, shabby said:

i agree though i suspect we lose one of the next two games. Gus isn't going anywhere this year. It is delusional to think he will be fired. Next year sets up nicely for a run at it all. if it doesn't manifest I'll join the chorus of fire gus but he has done enough and shone enough to make me believe this team will be pretty damn special next year. 

It’s insane that 3 of the top non game threads in this forum are basically the same.  It’s when are we going to fire Gus, How much is the buyout if we fire him today, and who do we hire? Cristobal/Freeze/Napier/stoops/leach/brohm/smart/Kiffin/etc.  The mods should just lump it into a Gus sucks thread.  There are some people who need to put their money where their mouth is and stroke some checks.  If you aren’t willing to spend $30 million then don’t ask anyone else to.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Im a whiskey drinker. I’m not really a fan of Makers Mark, a relative inexpensive drinkable yet unimpressive bourbon. I find Jack Daniels revolting. I love Angels Envy, a delicious yet more expensive option. Letsvsay someone set two glasses in front of me one was identified as makers Mark. For the other, they tell me there’s a small chance this is Angels, but a better chance it is Jack Daniels. In this scenario, I’m taking the Makers Mark. As much as I’d love to have Angels Envy, I’d really really rather not have Jack. Even though I’m unimpressed with makers Mark, it’s not worth the risk for angels when the probability of me getting it is so low.

Thats how I feel here. I’m not a Gus fan. But I see few scenarios where we trade up. It is more likely that we end up like Tennessee than we end up like Clemson. It’s more likely that we make a hire that’s worse than Gus than us making a hire that’s better. This isn’t about me liking Gus or being okay with things. It’s more about me not believing we can get a better option. That’s probably why you can’t answer my questions. 

This is your problem.  You think Angel's Envy is expensive.  Angel's Envy is Gus.  Mid-range, mid-tier.

We're shooting for Pappy Van Winkle over here.  And if not that, at least some Blanton's.

Edited by Brad_ATX
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another humiliating loss led by an uninspiring HC, with a predictable offense and tiresome, lackluster play on both sides of the ball. I saw absolutely zero fight put up by our team in every phase of the game.  That would be unacceptable in any game, but in an Iron Bowl????? 

It was nigh unwatchable. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Next year we will still have another underwhelming OL and DL we are trending in the wrong direction. So no. Next year is not our year nor is any year under Gus.

At least we get a little help on the Dline.  Lots of young dudes that should be really good the next couple years.  I don’t get the Oline.  We’re losing guys that could start day 1 to go ride the pine somewhere else.  I’m still optimistic on Bicknell but geeze. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is your problem.  You think Angel's Envy is expensive.  Angel's Envy is Gus.  Mid-range, mid-tier.

We're shooting for Pappy Can Winkle over here.  And if not that, at least some Blanton's.

Ha! We actually agree on something. I just went with well named brands. I wouldn’t actually take makers go avoid Jack. They are both terrible. I just blanked on a high quality bourbon that I like that people know. 
 

By the way, I think Pappy is Jim Harbaugh. Everyone talks about him like he’s this great coach, but he just doesn’t really deliver. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Ha! We actually agree on something. I just went with well named brands. I wouldn’t actually take makers go avoid Jack. They are both terrible. I just blanked on a high quality bourbon that I like that people know. 
 

By the way, I think Pappy is Jim Harbaugh. Everyone talks about him like he’s this great coach, but he just doesn’t really deliver. 

I can agree on the Pappy comment.  It was underwhelming.  Blanton's though?  Gimme!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol here we go. Took long enough. Can't believe it took this long for one of the sunshine pumpers to bring up the "BuT wE CoUlD eND uP LiKe Tennessee" recycled talking point.

Worried about being like Tennessee. Good Lord, we better start worrying about the fact we have become Tennessee, Mississippi(s), etc. At this point it's just freaking time to breakup with Gus. If someone made a movie about his Auburn coaching stint it would air on Lifetime. His neighbors would be saying things like how he seems like such a nice guy, and how they never thought he would ever kill a football program. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol here we go. Took long enough. Can't believe it took this long for one of the sunshine pumpers to bring up the "BuT wE CoUlD eND uP LiKe Tennessee" recycled talking point.

That’s not what I said. Maybe if you’d read rather than skim my post, you’d catch that. I said it was more likely that it would happen than that we’d get a Dabo kind of a coach. What’s most likely is that we just hire a coach that wins 7-9 games a year. That’s what we have now possibly minus one win per year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Gus versus Cristobal- Toss up with a slight Gus lean. Cristobal had a senior heavy team and a first round QB last year, and they couldn’t win that wimpy conference. This year... well I address that specifically in my post. He just lost to a horrible team. For me, my biggest Gus complaint is one unacceptable loss a year. So, to me, Cristobal seems like he could be even with Gus. In that case, I’d rather stick with the status quo... the devil you know if you will. 
 

Ficknell versus Gus- Still Gus. Ficknell has done good things with that program, but he’s never been in charge of a power 5 team. On top of that, he has not left Ohio in his career. That makes me think he’d be hesitant to come here anyway, but that could also lead to recruiting problems especially early on. So much of recruiting is knowing the local coaches in the areas you want to recruit in. For me, there’s just too many question makes with hiring him, and that’s assuming he wants to leave Ohio. 
 

Napier versus Gus. Gus hands down would be my answer. He’s achieved modest success in a group of five conference. There’s nothing in his history that screams likelihood of success here. As a case for comparison, someone else had almost similar success with a group of five school from Louisiana... Derek Dooley.

 

The best option in this bunch I think would be Ficknell, but I still have concerns that he could actually bring the program down from where it is now. He’d either be a great hire, or he’d completely flop. But again, I don’t see him leaving the Midwest. 

Cristobal.. excellent recruiter. Would be a big upgrade over what we have now. (My opinion.) His teams are always competitive and he has SEC ties and coached in the SEC.. would be my pick to replace Gus.. 

I am not as sold on Fickell but he has done good things at Cincy.. not sure what he could do In the SEC .. 

‘Napier .. very good coach.. can coach and develop QBs and wrs.. has coached at Clemson and Alabama.. strong ties to the SEC.. I would take him over Gus right now.. but I believe South Carolina could possibly get him. 
 

‘who would you pick to replace Gus?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I can agree on the Pappy comment.  It was underwhelming.  Blanton's though?  Gimme!

I feel kind of the same about Blanton. It’s good, but I’ve had better bourbon. Tried anything from Rabbit Hole?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...