If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

1 minute ago, JBiGGiE said:

From what I saw, Auburn lost big in the trenches. The lack of OL recruitment and development has hurt us immensely and going into this season that was one of my biggest fears... I believe Bicknell is a step in the right direction but 2020 was not the year we'd patch things up.

The defensive step back is a concern. I know we haven't been awful at least by the numbers but it's been painful to watch this year, especially our secondary. And if we don't find a way to salvage this year's recruiting class we're going to be in a world of hurt sooner rather than later. As much as I  appreciate what Steele has been able to do, our top-down failure to support Malzahn's requests for facility upgrades is killing us in COVID year.

I heard it said best- Auburn didn't get beat by a better team today. It was beat by a better program. I wouldn't she'd a tear if Malzahn were let go tonight, but he's not the root. It's like I said at the end of the 2018 season, either Auburn needs to be all in on Malzahn or cash out. The longer we keep playing that game, the deeper the hole we dig for ourselves.

Re-hiring, then keeping Grimes after 2018 was unbelievably stupid.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AUwent said:

Re-hiring, then keeping Grimes after 2018 was unbelievably stupid.

Completely forgot about this. He just couldn’t relate to recruits, not to mention other schools knew he was on the clock. He could coach , but not a recruiter. 

2 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Completely forgot about this. He just couldn’t relate to recruits, not to mention other schools knew he was on the clock. He could coach , but not a recruiter. 

That wasn’t really the issue. Grimes was great when he was here at first at both.  He left after having cancer, and that apparently took a toll on him. His wasn’t energetic enough on the recruitment trail or passionate enough in practice to be effective. A guy who was originally taken as the type to push you to your potential now gives off the impression of a tired old man. That’s what I heard at least. 

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Wasn’t saying anything about Gus.  I was saying Auburn isn’t a Mississippi or a Tennessee.  

You missed the point.  The point is 1/2 of the coaches in the country can produce what Auburn is currently getting.   

Some of the best coaches that have ever coached, always say it’s the jimmies and Joe’s, not x’s and o’s.     Now I believe in most of this way of thinking , but I do believe that good coaching levels the playing field when talent is an issue.   

13 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

It all goes back to Gus' trust issues. Many have diagnosed Gus to be a self-absorbed narcissist who fancies himself a genius and only hires yes-men... I believe it is more neurotic than anything else. I believe it has more to do with him being comfortable with his staff and players. We've seen countless examples of players who disappear into obscurity after a turnover, and players who seem to be favored over apparent studs...

Kodi Burns, Cadillac, JB Grimes... even Chad Morris. Those are instances where I believe Gus (in his mind) chose to make a comfortable trustworthy hire.

Just my theory. But again I think it's but one piece of the puzzle. And until Auburn is committed to competing with Bama and Georgia and LSU at all phases of college football, we willl continue to linger in Mediocrityville

13 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

That wasn’t really the issue. Grimes was great when he was here at first at both.  He left after having cancer, and that apparently took a toll on him. His wasn’t energetic enough on the recruitment trail or passionate enough in practice to be effective. A guy who was originally taken as the type to push you to your potential now gives off the impression of a tired old man. That’s what I heard at least. 

Which is why re-hiring him and keeping him after a year when it was clear his head wasn't in it anymore was such a terrible idea!

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

You missed the point.  The point is 1/2 of the coaches in the country can produce what Auburn is currently getting.   

Some of the best coaches that have ever coached, always say it’s the jimmies and Joe’s, not x’s and o’s.     Now I believe in most of this way of thinking , but I do believe that good coaching levels the playing field when talent is an issue.   

Can’t figure out where this line of conversation started, but I adamantly challenge your assertion. I think we can debate whether Auburn is capable of getting something better. But the idea that 1/2 the coaches out there are better than Gus is laughable. He plays in the top division of the top conference at the top level of football, and he has winning records. If your premise is correct, than Gus must have sold his soul to the devil for wins or something. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Can’t figure out where this line of conversation started, but I adamantly challenge your assertion. I think we can debate whether Auburn is capable of getting something better. But the idea that 1/2 the coaches out there are better than Gus is laughable. He plays in the top division of the top conference at the top level of football, and he has winning records. If your premise is correct, than Gus must have sold his soul to the devil for wins or something. 

Lol. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

He didn’t say 1/2 the coaches are better, he said they could produce the same results.

Gus isn't getting fired tomorrow.  And given what I've seen of aTm there's a better than even chance we beat both them and MSU and finish 7-3, and he's definitely not getting fired then.  Unless you just tank like Muschamp did, it's a mulligan year in most AD's eyes, including Auburn's.  It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

He didn’t say 1/2 the coaches are better, he said they could produce the same results.

Which is effectively the same thing. Half the coaches have losing records, and most of them play in bad conferences. Those coaches could never win an iron bowl. Heck Gus’s record isn’t even bottom half in Auburn history. Sorry. It’s a laughable premise. If you say he’s underachieving, I’d agree with you. If you say we can do better, I’ll disagree, but it’s still a plausible premise. But calling Gus below average is just utter nonsense. There’s a lot of really bad coaches out there who wouldn’t win a game in this conference. 

We got whipped up and down the field, as expected. I hoped we would have a better showing but it didn't happen. UAT is one of the best teams I've seen top to bottom in a long time, if ever. UAT has a team of mostly 5 and 4 star players whe we have mostly 3 and 4 star. So we are almost always the underdog.

It is time for a change, I halfhearted agree, but who is available that can really take our program to the next level? I really don't see much in the college ranks, being honest. I think we need to pluck someone from the NFL for the HC, OC and DC. I would hope we retain D-Will as our LB coach and Caddy as our RB coach but all other positions need an overhaul.  Just my opinions...

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU fan base is full of losers. Just like the administration. 

Ah, I've been waiting for your input.

I have no idea where these good feelings about A&M are coming from.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Which is effectively the same thing. Half the coaches have losing records, and most of them play in bad conferences. Those coaches could never win an iron bowl. Heck Gus’s record isn’t even bottom half in Auburn history. Sorry. It’s a laughable premise. 

You have no clue of knowing that, just like you have no clue of knowing if they could win a NC here. It is all assumption based besides what we have right now.

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Well we are great at other sports too  but my point is bigger than athletics.  Saying our school is a loser institution because of the results on the football field is ridiculous.  What about the school itself?  Do you only care about Auburn for the sports?  It’s just not a smart statement to make. 

there seem to be a systemic and passive pattern at Auburn from a brain trust point of view, and it seems to carry over to this fan base that is riddled in excused, good decision making at Auburn is ABSENT!!

Just now, AUwent said:

I didn’t watch the entire game but they weren’t setting the world on fire against a below average LSU team.  LSU wasn’t playing that great either.  Commentator made a comment about how the team feeds off Monds energy and then went on to say how Mond kept to himself and didn’t really interact with anyone else.  That didn’t scream leader to me.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

You have no clue of knowing that, just like you have no clue of knowing if they could win a NC here. It is all assumption based besides what we have right now.

I mean, I just don’t even know how to debate this idea. It’s that absurd. This is the most elite conference in football. You don’t get that kind of a job as a truly bad coach. Id even question whether Derek Mason is worse than 1/2 the coaches in the country. Again, that doesn’t mean I’m saying he’s doing well or that he’s achieving as well as he should. But to call Malzahn in the bottom half of all football coaches is just... absurd. 

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

They have no WRs that scare anyone.  

Mond is still their QB.  

Their running game is just ok.

They mustered only 13 points vs fairly bad LSU defense (the other 7 was from a defensive score).

The game is in Auburn where we play far better.

As bad as today was, it was no worse than what A&M did vs Bama, who is steamrolling everyone this year.

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Which is effectively the same thing. Half the coaches have losing records, and most of them play in bad conferences. Those coaches could never win an iron bowl. Heck Gus’s record isn’t even bottom half in Auburn history. Sorry. It’s a laughable premise. 

I don’t know who your math teacher was/is in high school, but mine taught me that greater than is not essentially the same thing as equal to. Eight seasons is an ample sample size from Gus to know what he’s capable of. Not to make light, but I feel like some of our fans have a battered wife syndrome-like mentality: he’s good to us some of the time and who else is out there that would have us or treat us better? It’s insane and the best attitude to have to ensure nothing will ever change. Auburn is a historically top 15 program. Saban had a title at LSU, but prior to coming to bama he didn’t have a world beater coaching record. It takes finding the right coach for your program and giving him the resources he needs to be successful. Most of us have been ready to give the next coach that opportunity and take that chance to see what someone else can do.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They have no WRs that scare anyone.  

Mond is still their QB.  

Their running game is just ok.

They mustered only 13 points vs fairly bad LSU defense (the other 7 was from a defensive score).

The game is in Auburn where we play far better.

As bad as today was, it was no worse than what A&M did vs Bama, who is steamrolling everyone this year.

And then there is their head coach. He ran FSU’s program into the ground, and has done pretty much nothing since moving to A&M. 

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I don’t know who your math teacher was/is in high school, but mine taught me that greater than is not essentially the same thing as equal to. Eight seasons is an ample sample size from Gus to know what he’s capable of. Not to make light, but I feel like some of our fans have a battered wife syndrome-like mentality: he’s good to us some of the time and who else is out there that would have us or treat us better? It’s insane and the best attitude to have to ensure nothing will ever change. Auburn is a historically top 15 program. Saban had a title at LSU, but prior to coming to bama he didn’t have a world beater coaching record. It takes finding the right coach for your program and giving him the resources he needs to be successful. Most of us have been ready to give the next coach that opportunity and take that chance to see what someone else can do.

No. I do statistics for a living, so I understood the premise completely. It’s still hogwash. How many stories are there of coaches doing well at the FCS level or in a group of 5 conference that weren’t good enough to succeed at the power 5 level? Coaches Gus is better than: most of the JUCOs, most of Division 3, most of division 2, most of FCS, most of the group of 5, most of the teams with losing records year after year in the power 5. Now some of those coaches could just be earlier in their careers. But for the most part, if those coaches were better, they’d have moved up by now. 

Archived