If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

Also, the naming thing isn't even a priority. It is just another thing to take note of in this Auburn culture. The whole family mantra. The special season adjectives we like to have. Just watch. We will beat the Aggies next week and end the season 7-3. The consensus will be it wasn't that bad and next year is setting up for us to have a special season. Bookmark this.

7-3 would be in line with what a lot of people expected going into the year.  Most thought those 3 loses would be from a combo of LSU, TaMu, Bama, and UGA.  As the season’s progressed I think this team would actually have been undefeated up until yesterday if they could have had a spring to figure out the Oline.  Auburn needs to handle business next week against a top5 team at home.  

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

Idk man. Back in the day the Iron Bowl was everything, and I'm not down to poo-poo that; those old nick-names belong to the old Auburn that created them.

But these circus wins in this era are the culmination of Auburn making a legit run at a season, facing the gauntlet of amen-corner, playing the goat win lose or draw on the last day of the season. It's pretty high drama Dag. And where (not rhetorical) are the nicknames from? I seem to remember a thread on here a few yrs ago fishing for kicknames after an Iron Bowl win, but Idk. I'll quit here though, it is a little off-topic.

The Ironbowl is a classic rivalry. That ironbowl should not just be everything that makes or break Auburn. People legit use the fact that Gus has the most active wins against NS as a strong reason as to why we should keep him here. WHY? 

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

7-3 would be in line with what a lot of people expected going into the year.  Most thought those 3 loses would be from a combo of LSU, TaMu, Bama, and UGA.  As the season’s progressed I think this team would actually have been undefeated up until yesterday if they could have had a spring to figure out the Oline.  Auburn needs to handle business next week against a top5 team at home.  

Context matters though. If we loss to three out of the four teams you named in a competitive fashion, most people including myself probably could handle it. However, we loss to UGA and Bama in blow out fashion then loss to a very bad USCe team. That is what makes this so unsatisfying to me.

Just now, DAG said:

Context matters though. If we loss to three out of the four teams you named in a competitive fashion, most people including myself probably could handle it. However, we loss to UGA and Bama in blow out fashion then loss to a very bad USCe team. That is what makes this so unsatisfying to me.

not to mention a couple of those other wins were gifts and easily could have been L's

The apathy I have for auburn football is the highest ever in my 51 years as an Auburn fan.  It is very disheartening. I am looking for cable channels that cover NCAA equestrian events. Bruuuuuce Is committed to winning. Gus and staff?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

The Ironbowl is a classic rivalry. That ironbowl should not just be everything that makes or break Auburn. People legit use the fact that Gus has the most active wins against NS as a strong reason as to why we should keep him here. WHY? 

It's a BS stat. We play them every year for starters. The remainder of the west, and the entirety of the east has been in turmoil every day of his tenure. 

So the appearance of contrast between us and the turmoil of the rest of the conference, and his record against NS is the hill folks want to die on. It's LBS at it's finest(unlike the nicknames imo, lol). 

I really don't care about Bama. They're running swashbuckle, folks will beat them when they can, but mostly not. They're doing what they do, we're doing what we do. I'm LMAO about what we do though. It's beyond good or bad coaching here: it's incompetence- without citing the 8 year list of seriously stupid ish that any other basic coach on the planet either would'nt mess up, or would self-scout and evolve. The details have become too tiresome. He's walking the plank. We don't have a coaching problem at Auburn, it's a contract problem. 11-29-21. Write it down lol.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

And what does Alabama name their games when they win? Again, I am find with naming the games as it pokes fun, but it also drives the point that this game is what many Auburn fans live for. Last year, after we loss to Minnesota, there were several on here saying well we at least beat Bama. Same thing in 2017. For me, I am over that. And mind you, Bama won the dang NC in 17, ugh.

They don’t win in memorable fashion. There’s a reason the Titans have the Music City Miracle but a whole bunch of other games without names. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

They don’t win in memorable fashion. There’s a reason the Titans have the Music City Miracle but a whole bunch of other games without names. 

They did in 2009. However , trying to be less like the Titans and more like the steelers. Need a coaching change and hopefully a culture change with that as well. 

We weren't naming games when we were beating them under DuBois and Shula. I understand the recency bias but also understand that this is a new phenomenon in which Bama has been unnaturally dominant and it takes a Herculean effort to knock them off their pedestal.

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

We weren't naming games when we were beating them under DuBois and Shula. I understand the recency bias but also understand that this is a new phenomenon in which Bama has been unnaturally dominant and it takes a Herculean effort to knock them off their pedestal.

Correct. We also had serious swagger during that time. Granted Alabama was terribly coached, not necessarily lacking talent. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We named the sack game and a few others

Yeah I don't know if we actually named it but we did have honk if you sacked Brodie. Cool Moniker but again not much to show for it, which drives me crazy. 

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

A lot of that is the media, with people like Finebaum, Josh Pate, and Kirk Edward Herbstreit, repeatedly saying Auburn fan base is delusional and should count our lucky stars we have a coach with three wins against Saban.  Then for some reason try and compare Gus to Urban Meyer since they are the only two with three wins against the guy. 

For every win Gus has against Saban, he has multiple ridiculous losses to bad teams like this year's USCe, 2016 UGA, the previous UT game, etc...and epic folds or complete failures like the 2017 LSU game, the 2016 Clemson game, the 2017 Clemson game, the 2019 UF game, last year's Minnesota loss, the UCF loss, the 2014 bowl loss to Wisconsin...and of course, the ultimate bonehead loss to FSU after leading by 18 in the first half. 

Add to that the miserable track record of QB acquisition and development.

17 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Heck Bama fired a 10 win coach because they wants to win every year not just 10

games they wanted to be playing for titles every year. Shoot for the moon. 

Ummmm, when did they do that?

Shula's last season was a losing season, so he was gone'd... not to mention the year before all wins were 0'd out for cheating.

Dennis Franchione wasn't fired, He was loved at Bama, now he's hated at Alabama cause he promised he was there for the long haul and before the season was over he was at College Station accepting the HC gig there.

Mike Dubose last season was 3-8, that gets you fired most anywhere.

Gene Stalling wasn't fired, it was a planned retirement 2 years in the making after a long and successful coaching career.

And that covers the last 30 years so ... 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Ummmm, when did they do that?

Bill Curry in 1989 after going 10-1 in the regular season and never beating Auburn for his career.

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Bill Curry in 1989 after going 10-1 in the regular season and never beating Auburn for his career.

I was one year old at the time but after researching this it seemed like there was a contract dispute and he accepted another job. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I was one year old at the time but after researching this it seemed like there was a contract dispute and he accepted another job. 

I was at the 1989 Iron Bowl with my 8 yo son.  Man that’s a long time ago.  Curry had Bama fans outside the stadium as it was the first time Bama set foot on Auburn soil to play football.  After that game it was reported that people sent moving vans to his house and bricks through his windows.

In 2008, Tubs retired on his own.  I believe both were advised to find other employment and say what you want to the media.  A gentler time than today’s click bait tabloids. 

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

We, and other SEC teams, have been naming games FOR-FRIGGEN-EVER! You're not much of a SEC fan if you don't know that. Ask a UGA fan if they remember Fourth and Forever against us, or Run Lindsey Run - was that vs UF? There was the interception game vs LSU, Bo over the top, AU has a good Lawyer, The First Time Ever, Tie Dye, The Earthquake Game, Slack to Wasden, Honk if you sacked Brody, Fear the Thumb, Punt bama Punt, on and on. Most serious fans of the schools involved in those games will immediately know the game in question. It's one of the things that makes the SEC special. Every team in the SEC does it. Using that as a knock against Gus is doing the opposite of making a point for firing him - it's showing how many memorable games he's given us. 

WRT to the OP's title, that was simply dumb. Was AU a "loser institution" during Barfield? Or the 1940's until Shug? No, it wasn't. It was still all the things the alumni and the true sidewalk fans understand and love. As Chiz famously said, "This place was great before we got here, and it'll be great after we leave". The Gus era will end most likely next year, but no matter what the record is, AU will never be a "loser institution" due to the outcome of any football season. 

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

That was 32 years ago - the poster you're responding to said 30 years - , and Curry left for another school (UK?) because he couldn't handle the pressure cooker. Despite fan pressure, he was not fired.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Also, the naming thing isn't even a priority. It is just another thing to take note of in this Auburn culture. The whole family mantra. The special season adjectives we like to have. Just watch. We will beat the Aggies next week and end the season 7-3. The consensus will be it wasn't that bad and next year is setting up for us to have a special season. Bookmark this.

It could be special,  but I am afraid we’ve so under recruited the trenches and receiving corp we can’t compete with the big 3 ( Bama, Clem, OSU)

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I have never been more angry than I was walking out of the Rose Bowl and hearing an Auburn fan say "It's ok, we'll be back."

No.  It doesn't work that way.  You only get so many opportunities at greatness.  You have to strike when you can.

Which is exactly why the refs stealing our bball win against Virginia in the Final Four is the worst Auburn loss ever for me.  I know that's totally off topic, just wanted to bring it up.  We would have won a national championship in BBALL, think about that.

Archived