If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

45 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Bill Curry in 1989 after going 10-1 in the regular season and never beating Auburn for his career.

30 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

That was 32 years ago - the poster you're responding to said 30 years - , and Curry left for another school (UK?) because he couldn't handle the pressure cooker. Despite fan pressure, he was not fired.

Pretty much, my memory goes back to stallings, and really only his last 3-4 years. And the original reply was in response to someone claiming Bama fires coaches after 10 win seasons because they demand excellence.... Which I just have never seen them do in my time watching football.

Maybe it's just people being disgruntled after last nights game, but I'm seeing a lot more erroneous claims here than usual :lol: .... and that one just stuck out to me.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AUFriction said:

You just referenced arguably the two best recruiting coaches in the modern history of college football though. And, with Saban, his recruiting has gotten better over time, and his classes at Bama have been better than his classes at LSU. He was an unnaturally good recruiter when he got to LSU. Once he got more connected around the southeast, his already good recruiting became unmatchable. I'd say that Saban and Meyer were the exception, not the rule. I'd challenge you to name 3 more coaches that have been able to recruit successfully in a region where they had no connection or history. 

1) You don't get to change the rules now that examples have been pointed out to you.  Saying, "Well they are two of the greats" doesn't absolve you from making a bad point.  Neither one had succeded in recruiting the South before they got to LSU or Florida and Saban in particular wasn't lightning the world on fire at Michigan State.

2) If you want to go down that road though, here's a quick list:

Pete Carroll, Jimmy Johnson (Miami years), & Chip Kelly (Oregon years).

All built conference and national title caliber programs.  None of them had college ties to the region.

Even on a football forum this is a stupid thread - flip it around, if you think Auburn as an institution of higher learning should be judged exclusively on whether or not it retains Gus Malzahn, YOU are a loser, and a clueless one who needs to expand your horizons beyond sportscenter. You also have no concept of budgets and buyout clauses. Just an all around childish thread. 

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Tennessee 22 years ago but when your excusing 4/14 teams that puts us in the middle of the pack.

The last 10 years we have been beyond middle of the pack with SEC championship appearances and national championship appearances. Middle of the pack is only a rally call to those that want Gus gone. It is not however reflective of reality. Coukd we do better with another coach? Thats the question that should be discussed. And it should be done so in a way that accurately reflects our achievement level under Gus

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Even on a football forum this is a stupid thread - flip it around, if you think Auburn as an institution of higher learning should be judged exclusively on whether or not it retains Gus Malzahn, YOU are a loser, and a clueless one who needs to expand your horizons beyond sportscenter. You also have no concept of budgets and buyout clauses. Just an all around childish thread. 

The guy's thread title is a loosely worded generality. Seems to me like everyone else gets it and is carrying on with the actual point of the thread. But go ahead and call him loser, I bet he doesn't care.

4 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

The guy's thread title is a loosely worded generality. Seems to me like everyone else gets it and is carrying on with the actual point of the thread. But go ahead and call him loser, I bet he doesn't care.

If you know this guy's posting history, he is a huge Gus apologist so it makes sense.

1 hour ago, TigerHorn said:

That was 32 years ago - the poster you're responding to said 30 years - , and Curry left for another school (UK?) because he couldn't handle the pressure cooker. Despite fan pressure, he was not fired.

Mims asked “ummm, when did they do that” and gave him a factual answer.  He just did go back far enough in his search.  No worries.

33 minutes ago, shabby said:

The last 10 years we have been beyond middle of the pack with SEC championship appearances and national championship appearances. Middle of the pack is only a rally call to those that want Gus gone. It is not however reflective of reality. Coukd we do better with another coach? Thats the question that should be discussed. And it should be done so in a way that accurately reflects our achievement level under Gus

Out of your mind Shabby.

Gus has been here 8 years now. Without his first season here he has no conference championship and no playoff appearances. We're irrelevant my friend. Twist it all you like.

I'm exhausted of the lemmings asking about what coach could do better. That's such a pathetic loser mentality. We should just stop playing football then until Saban retires? Quit accepting the current situation as the way it will be.

Under Gus we've consistently underperformed LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and honestly now Florida. At best we're the 5th best team in the conference out of 14. Above average sure but is that really what we want to be? 11 teams have made it to the college football playoffs (3 from the SEC) and we're not one of them.

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Maybe it's just people being disgruntled after last nights game, but I'm seeing a lot more erroneous claims here than usual :lol: .... and that one just stuck out to me.

There is more to the story then just *firing* a coach after a 10 win season as it was Bill Curry formally of Georgia Tech.  Alabama and Tech were feuding back in the day and one reason Tech is no longer in the SEC (old Southern Conference).  A lot of Bama people didn’t want Curry to begin with and they were just biding their time to get rid of him.

The story:  Minutes after his Alabama team had lost to Georgia Tech 7-6 last Saturday, in just about the biggest football upset of the year, Alabama Head Coach Paul (Bear) Bryant appeared in the winning team's dressing room, smiling and completely unbearlike, despite the hurt of having been beaten for the first time in 27 games. But after an exchange of compliments with Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Dodd, Bryant's affability was suddenly dampened by Dodd's offhand comment, "I believe that was the cleanest game I've ever seen. What do you think. Coach?" Bryant, looking down at his shoes, muttered, "Huh? Oh, yeah. It certainly was. But I didn't expect anything different."

Most of the 53,000 spectators who jammed into the 52,000-seat stadium did. Last year an Alabama player, Darwin Holt, had smashed Georgia Tech's Chick Graning in the face with his left elbow and forearm, in an unnecessary block when an Alabama teammate signaled for a fair catch on a punt. After the catch, though possibly before the referee's whistle had sounded. Holt hit Graning, rising off his feet as he drove his arm up under the taller Tech player's face guard. Graning was helped off the field with injuries diagnosed later as 1) fracture of the alveolar process (facial bones), 2) five missing upper front teeth, 3) fracture of the nasal bone, 4) fracture of the right maxillary sinus and the sinus filled with blood, 5) fracture of the right zygomatic process (bone beneath the right eye), 6) cerebral concussion and 7) possible fracture of the base of the skull.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1962/11/26/a-rough-day-for-the-bear

Evidently, it is not nice to embarrass the Bear.

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Out of your mind Shabby.

Gus has been here 8 years now. Without his first season here he has no conference championship and no playoff appearances. We're irrelevant my friend. Twist it all you like.

I'm exhausted of the lemmings asking about what coach could do better. That's such a pathetic loser mentality. We should just stop playing football then until Saban retires? Quit accepting the current situation as the way it will be.

Under Gus we've consistently underperformed LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and honestly now Florida. At best we're the 5th best team in the conference out of 14. Above average sure but is that really what we want to be? 11 teams have made it to the college football playoffs (3 from the SEC) and we're not one of them.

Lemmings? Pathetic Loser mentality? Triggered much by different opinions? Malzahn will be your coach this year. He will be your coach next year. I will continue to enjoy Auburn football. Something I Imagine  your fanboy rage hasn't allowed you to do since 2010. 

14 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I am a fact guided person. Lying on a message board isn't in my personality. I'm so known for being brutally honest that I've been described as being a robot. What I described are the events as I remember them from 2017. I can go pull stuff out of the message board from back then if necessary. But the accepted fact was that Arkansas really wanted him, and all the Auburn reporters were reporting that they put out an incredible offer to Sexton to get him. 

I feel you, but I was talking about the Michigan fans wanting Malzahn.

1 hour ago, shabby said:

Lemmings? Pathetic Loser mentality? Triggered much by different opinions? Malzahn will be your coach this year. He will be your coach next year. I will continue to enjoy Auburn football. Something I Imagine  your fanboy rage hasn't allowed you to do since 2010. 

Do you think this attitude makes you a better fan than the rest of us or something? It doesn't. It makes you look like the guy in Waterworld who spends his life in darkness and says "Thank you!" when Dennis Hopper sends a loogie down the hole. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:15 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

There’s no defending it.

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! Let me get this straight. Because what was expected to happen and predicted to happen and that people like you said was going to happen actually happened, that being that an AU football team minus both starting tackles, a starting guard (Brandon Council) and with a gimped up star tailback got beat down just as Vegas and everyone but some fans (like me) said they'd get beat down by the number one team in the nation playing at their place, if Gus isn't fired then AU is a "loser institution." 

OK. Got it. It's not like your crowd calls for Malzahn to be fired after close wins, or close losses, or any other time. Just after this beatdown by bama in Tuscalosa exactly as expected by everyone. Because what was expected to happen actually happened. Good thing bama hasn't put the beatdown on good teams. Like UGA (41-24), aTm (52-24) teams too! 

Crikey! 

46 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! Let me get this straight. Because what was expected to happen and predicted to happen and that people like you said was going to happen actually happened, that being that an AU football team minus both starting tackles, a starting guard (Brandon Council) and a gimped up star tailback got beat down just as Vegas and everyone but some fans (like me) said they'd get beat down by the number one team in the nation playing at their place, if Gus isn't fired then AU is a "loser institution." 

OK. Got it. It's not like your crowd calls for Malzahn to be fired after close wins, or close losses, or any other time. Just after this beatdown by bama in Tuscalosa exactly as expected by everyone. Because what was expected to happen actually happened. Good thing bama hasn't put the beatdown on good teams. Like UGA (41-24), aTm (52-24) teams too! 

Crikey! 

I present the 2020 Auburn Football Forum Drama Queen winner. 👑

Take a bow...

7 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I present the 2020 Auburn Football Forum Drama Queen winner. 👑

Take a bow...

No drama here. That's all you guys.

196857_1.jpg

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick! Let me get this straight. Because what was expected to happen and predicted to happen and that people like you said was going to happen actually happened, that being that an AU football team minus both starting tackles, a starting guard (Brandon Council) and with a gimped up star tailback got beat down just as Vegas and everyone but some fans (like me) said they'd get beat down by the number one team in the nation playing at their place, if Gus isn't fired then AU is a "loser institution." 

Crikey! 

I think the bigger picture of why everyone is at the end of their ropes is HOW we got to the point that we were such a massive underdog to our biggest rival. It’s not because we had a few players banged up or out for the game, and I think most people who are honest with themselves know it.

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Gus is doing the best job he is capable of doing.  He is a 5 loss coach.  Some of our fan base is happy with that and are afraid of trying to get better.

I hate liking this , but it’s true . 

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Crikey! 

He should be fired for putting us in the position that the bama game beatdown  was expected. 

People act like people have just started complaining about Gus. We’ve been complain about gus since Nick Marshall left lol. Tubs always had the reputation that he was  going to have the team ready to play the big boys but that he was gonna lose one or two he shouldn’t lose along the way. Gus also loses the one  or two he shouldn’t lose and only beats the big 3 if it’s at home.

Biggest difference, back then, we fought it out and gave it everything we’ve got, we might lose but we were damn sure competitive and playing our hearts out. Now, we look soft, guys look like they aren’t interested at times. The fact that we have to recruit guys with certain mindsets instead of being able to take a talented player and put that mindset in their head is the problem.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:07 PM, DAG said:

What will happen is these same folks posing questions and not being able to handle the opposite opinion will say Alabama is a great team. They are more talented and of course they beat us, they have better recruits . Just watch. 

As expected. Some of the blind optimist showed their face and played out exactly how I figured the response would be 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

People act like people have just started complaining about Gus. We’ve been complain about gus since Nick Marshall left lol. Tubs always had the reputation that he was  going to have the team ready to play the big boys but that he was gonna lose one or two he shouldn’t lose along the way. Gus also loses the one  or two he shouldn’t lose and only beats the big 3 if it’s at home.

Biggest difference, back then, we fought it out and gave it everything we’ve got, we might lose but we were damn sure competitive and playing our hearts out. Now, we look soft, guys look like they aren’t interested at times. The fact that we have to recruit guys with certain mindsets instead of being able to take a talented player and put that mindset in their head is the problem.

And sometimes (2018) can't even do that.

Archived