If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

14 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

1. There’s a portion of the Auburn family (count me in this group) that believes in winning with class. We care who our head coach is and how he represents the program

Here’s what I would say to those folks: We are one of the nations most penalized programs with multiple probations through the years. We’ve had plenty of players arrested for crimes ranging from misdemeanors to armed felonies. Our last 2 SEC titles were led by QBs who were kicked out of other SEC schools. Any AU fan who is taking a ‘holier than thou’ approach is wrong to do so. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol WTF does any of this have to do to our experiences as a student? Nothing. They don't go hand in hand. I truly don't get "fans" like you who always say stuff like this.

It has a direct correlation to what you are saying.  All Auburn is to you is the athletics.  I am saying FANS like me don’t let a win or loss ruin my opinion of the school because we see it for more than the athletics.  We see it for the school, the town, everything.  It doesn’t sour my experiences as a student.  So yes, I still would say War Eagle to you or anyone else.  

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Here’s what I would say to those folks: We are one of the nations most penalized programs with multiple probations through the years. We’ve had plenty of players arrested for crimes ranging from misdemeanors to armed felonies. Our last 2 SEC titles were led by QBs who were kicked out of other SEC schools. Any AU fan who is taking a ‘holier than thou’ approach is wrong to do so. 

Flex on em webb!!! Dunk on these type of our fans heads!!! Lol. They pretend that we are vandy level clean.

2 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

As alumni, I will always say War Eagle and War Eagle forever but I am not about to pump sunshine about an absolute a$$ whipping where we were never even competitive.. the game plan was stupid.. and we looked like we didn’t care. Now having said that the game played out just about as I expected for one reason and one reason only.. our head coach. 

Did I pump any sunshine about this game or even talk about it?  I didn’t.  I am simply addressing what Gwill was saying that if we have the audacity to say War Eagle after a loss we are embarrassing as fans.

11 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

And the point is the image of Auburn is not based on the head football coach.  Nobody cares if the Auburn football coach goes to Sunday school.  Any Aubirn fan that would rather have Gene Chizik over Nick Saban or Kirby Smart as a football coach is a poor supporter and doing the players no favors.

Depends on whether the players want to play pro ball or not.  If my kid was an O lineman, TE specifically, or QB, playing for Gus would be a handicap.   

If nobody cares if the coach isn't a boy scout, then why not get one who knows what he's doing and can actually field a competent team?  

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It has a direct correlation to what you are saying.  All Auburn is to you is the athletics.  I am saying FANS like me don’t let a win or loss ruin my opinion of the school because we see it for more than the athletics.  We see it for the school, the town, everything.  It doesn’t sour my experiences as a student.  So yes, I still would say War Eagle to you or anyone else.  

Noooooo most of us can separate the two. But you fall in the category of people who think camp war eagle was the most magical couple of days ever... Thank you for reminding me why I absolutely unequivocally cannot stand your holier than thou self righteous attitude. 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Noooooo most of us can separate the two. But you fall in the category of people who think camp war eagle was the most magical weekend ever... Thank you for reminding me why I absolutely unequivocally cannot stand your holier than thou self righteous attitude. 

Go take a chill pill man.  You are flipping out on anyone who is disagreeing with you.  Even trying to question my fan hood for saying “War Eagle?”  How dumb is that?

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Unfortunately this is true. People hate Auburn. 

Are you serious? We are America´s team every time we play Bama. Practically everybody in the the whole country is an AU fan when the Iron Bowl is played.

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Well, like it or not, that part of the family is huge. I personally know 1 Auburn fan that wants to replace Gus. Everyone else I know seems to be okay with him because “he’s a good guy and he fits with Auburn’s culture. “ Those of you expecting that part of the fan base to disappear are really SOL. They are the majority of Auburn fans. Short of ending sports at Auburn, that voice isn’t going anywhere. 

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Did I pump any sunshine about this game or even talk about it?  I didn’t.  I am simply addressing what Gwill was saying that if we have the audacity to say War Eagle after a loss we are embarrassing as fans.

You misunderstood me.. I wasn’t talking about you. I was making a general statement about sunshine pumping fans after an a$$ kicking to your rival. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

Go take a chill pill man.  You are flipping out on anyone who is disagreeing with you.  Even trying to question my fan hood for saying “War Eagle?”  How dumb is that?

It's the context of what you and the other always sunshine pumpers behind the use of this War Eagle. What you mean by it is golly jeepers beav. It's totally ok we got our butt kicked yet again in ttown and our head coach is 0 for athens, ttown and baton rouge. You are trying to rationalize a loss by saying how great AU is and how a loss can't take away from your experiences as a student. Dude no one wants to hear that now. Read the room.

29 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It’s more complicated than that. In addition to the booster problem...

1. There’s a portion of the Auburn family (count me in this group) that believes in winning with class. We care who our head coach is and how he represents the program. That group is large enough to have a voice, even though few of them hang out on message boards. That group also includes influential voices like Bo Jackson. (We passed on Petrino and Kirby Smart in the past because they didn’t have “Auburn values.”) A coach with a “win first” mentality like Saban, Kiffin, or Mullen will never win over the fanbase just like Bowden never did, and is unlikely to even get hired in the first place.

2. Especially right now, it’s impossible to get elite coaches here. Even though we are historically a great program, we have to compete with Georgia and Bama every year both on the field and in recruiting. A lot of coaches will pass us over right now because of how strong those programs are. 

3. Our fans (rightfully or not) have developed an outward perception of excessively inflated expectations. Fans in other conferences (I have a lot of friends in Michigan in particular) think we’re nuts for wanting free of Malzahn. Arkansas keeps trying to lure him away. The irony is that, the harder the fanbase pushes to get rid of Malzahn, the worse the perception will probably get, making it harder to find a new coach when we do replace him.

Its a mess. I probably sound like a broken record at this point because I keep saying this. But, as frustrated as I’ve been with Gus at times, the expectation of us winning 10-11 games a year is insane. And, a new coaching hire will more likely just lead to records at or below what we’ve had with Gus. 

I’m reposting this because some of you need to actually read it. These are facts people, not opinions. We have disadvantages. Maybe you think we can overcome them, but they are real disadvantages. Giving a facepalm to this makes no sense. If you disagree, tell me why you think we can overcome them.  But don’t randomly facepalm as if these things don’t have any effect on our coach recruiting. 

35 minutes ago, creed said:

What? You’re the one who thought tank shouldn’t play because of a bruise. You’re a loser with a loser mentality. 

lol

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Well, like it or not, that part of the family is huge. I personally know 1 Auburn fan that wants to replace Gus. Everyone else I know seems to be okay with him because “he’s a good guy and he fits with Auburn’s culture. “ Those of you expecting that part of the fan base to disappear are really SOL. They are the majority of Auburn fans. Short of ending sports at Auburn, that voice isn’t going anywhere. 

Are you making fun of yourself and people who think like you? It seems like you know it's the wrong approach to be a sports fan yet do it anyway....

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:
37 minutes ago, creed said:

What? You’re the one who thought tank shouldn’t play because of a bruise. You’re a loser with a loser mentality. 

lol

Your and idiot.

I dont think anyone should be suprised at this loss or even the magnitude of it. Writing was on the wall based on past trends. It is sad we are at a point where we are consistently so far out of contention for anything meaningful almost every year under Gus. We rarely ever play well against really good competition away from home. 3 straight years of not sniffing a division crown, only really sniffed one 2 out of Gus's 8 years. Cant buy a win vs Uga, a clearly more consistent program than we are. It's time for the Groundhog day to end...not because of today solely, but because its par for the course. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

The part that wants Gustav the not so Great fires is also sizable and they aren’t going away either. I personally know no one that wants to keep Gus. Can’t say the majority wants to keep him. Either way this back and forth is useless until we finally get rid of him which I pray is tomorrow at 2 pm with a press conference. 

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Your and idiot.

Uh....You’re an idiot.  

It's the context of what you and the other always sunshine pumpers behind the use of this War Eagle. What you mean by it is golly jeepers beav. It's totally ok we got our butt kicked yet again in ttown and our head coach is 0 for athens, ttown and baton rouge. You are trying to rationalize a loss by saying how great AU is and how a loss can't take away from your experiences as a student. Dude no one wants to hear that now. Read the room.

You are not actually reading what I am saying then.  Did I rationalize our loss tonight anywhere?  I didn’t.  Don’t believe me?  Go on my profile and read every single post I made tonight. I haven’t said a word.  I am hurting just like you.  I am mad about the loss just like you.  I am sitting in Mobile, AL currently in the middle of Alabama fans.  It’s not fun, trust me.

You are attempting to put words in my mouth to try and vent on me.  But I did respond to you directly inferring that anyone who says “War Eagle” after a loss like this is embarrassing.  It’s not.  Chill out.

Are you making fun of yourself and people who think like you? It seems like you know it's the wrong approach to be a sports fan yet do it anyway....

No. I’m a middle grounder on this. I am not satisfied with Gus. But I also do really care who we hire. I want nothing to do with Huge Freeze after what he did. I wouldn’t ever be okay with a Saban like coach being here. I’d never be okay with Lane Kiffin. I was not okay with us considering Petrino a few years ago. Whoever we hire better represent the program well, and that is more important to me than winning. 
Differentiating myself from others, there’s a part of this base that doesn’t care about winning like at all. 

9 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

YOU are part of the problem.

There are some problems I have with Kiffin, but I don't give a flaming pile of Big Al's crap about our "culture."

2 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

The part that wants Gustav the not so Great fires is also sizable and they aren’t going away either. I personally know no one that wants to keep Gus. Can’t say the majority wants to keep him. Either way this back and forth is useless until we finally get rid of him which I pray is tomorrow at 2 pm with a press conference. 

Prepare to be disappointed. Unless Gus loses out, there’s pretty much no way he gets fired this year. COVID has given most of the coaches a buffer. Winning the games we’ve won so far has probably saved his job unless the players outright quit on him.

Archived