If Gus isn’t fired tomorrow, AU is a loser institution

Swamp Eagle

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

$10 right now that we beat A&M.  I've seen this show before.

Christmas cards from Cincinnati are coming our way in that case.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sticking with Gus for as long as we have shows a lack of leadership and a crippling fear of the unknown. We have people that would rather keep the status quo than try something new and maybe get better. We got totally whipped by both our biggest rivals in year eight and we STILL haven't won a road game against ANY rival in this staff's tenure. We could hire Billy Napier away from Lafayette for $3 million and either keep getting these results or get better. It's not like hiring a dud coach is going to make us get beat worse by Georgia and Alabama. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

$10 right now that we beat A&M.  I've seen this show before.

IF we beat A&M next week, which fan base should be more upset though?  Auburn, or Texas A&M who is paying more for their head coach that has never beaten a team from the state of Alabama.

Just now, abw0004 said:

IF we beat A&M next week, which fan base should be more upset though?  Auburn, or Texas A&M who is paying more for their head coach that has never beaten a team from the state of Alabama.

Why does that even matter? 

Just now, abw0004 said:

I mean technically, Fisher has beaten us before.

The really sad part that came to the forefront today and vs Georgia is that Gus wasted the 2017 season and recruiting. The cupboard is so bare at OLine it is inexecusable especially after that great season with Kerryon. That was a poster with blinking lights to come to Auburn for any O Lineman. We got nothing there. There is no depth at all. Gus has to be held accountable for wasting the opportunity to reload - just a simple failure to reload not even the capability to take us to the next level based on that 2017 season? That is what good to great coaches do - build on the success and build continuity. Gus has been a failure at this simple part of the job.

Even on a football forum this is a stupid thread - flip it around, if you think Auburn as an institution should be judged exclusively on whether or not it retains Gus Malzahn, YOU are a loser, and a clueless one that who needs to expand your horizons beyond sportscenter.

Just now, DAG said:

Why does that even matter? 

It doesn’t, it was just a curiosity I had.  I was thinking about this the other day and wanted some opinions.  

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Sticking with Gus for as long as we have shows a lack of leadership and a crippling fear of the unknown. We have people that would rather keep the status quo than try something new and maybe get better. We got totally whipped by both our biggest rivals in year eight and we STILL haven't won a road game against ANY rival in this staff's tenure. We could hire Billy Napier away from Lafayette for $3 million either keep getting these results or get better. It's not like hiring a dud coach is going to make us get beat worse by Georgia and Alabama. 

Matt Campbell and Luke Fickell are just begging for a chance at a place with our potential.

And the bolded part is so spot on.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Auburn.  It's year 8 for Gus.  It's year 3 for Jimbo.  He's still building.

Just now, abw0004 said:

It doesn’t, it was just a curiosity I had.  I was thinking about this the other day and wanted some opinions.  

I am sure the Aggies will be pissed. But the stark difference is, The Aggies would absolutely pony up if Jimbo consistently continuous to underperform, no questions asked in my mind. Also, the fanbase is not nearly as accepting of results like our fanbase. 

Last comment tonight. Whoever on the board of trustees that argued for Gus’s 49 million contract needs to write a check for Gus’s buyout immediately ( in full) or else resign or be kicked of the board and forever banned from Auburn Alabama or Auburn University. Nothing else will work. We he fans should insist on it. We did not ask for Gus to get the contract and we should not have to pay for their stupid mistake . 

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

LOL   wut?

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Last comment tonight. Whoever on the board of trustees that argued for Gus’s 49 million contract needs to write a check for Gus’s buyout immediately ( in full) or else resign or be kicked of the board and forever banned from Auburn Alabama or Auburn University. Nothing else will work. We he fans should insist on it. We did not ask for Gus to get the contract and we should not have to pay for their stupid mistake . 

Out of likes sooooo...

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Sticking with Gus for as long as we have shows a lack of leadership and a crippling fear of the unknown. We have people that would rather keep the status quo than try something new and maybe get better. We got totally whipped by both our biggest rivals in year eight and we STILL haven't won a road game against ANY rival in this staff's tenure. We could hire Billy Napier away from Lafayette for $3 million either keep getting these results or get better. It's not like hiring a dud coach is going to make us get beat worse by Georgia and Alabama. 

I 110 percent agree with this. I am of the mindset of "Why are we overpaying for something Bill Clarke could probably do?" If the goal is to mostly lose to our rivals, win the gimme games and every once in a while pull off an upset, then let's pay much less to do it. Oh and btw, before someone says, We don't know if he can do that. I watched Eugene T. Chizik win a NC before. These results can be replicated for less. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I am sure the Aggies will be pissed. But the stark difference is, The Aggies would absolutely pony up if Jimbo consistently continuous to underperform, no questions asked in my mind. Also, the fanbase is not nearly as accepting of results like our fanbase. 

The Gus gets a pass this year because of Covid is so ridiculous.. I am not questioning if that is true or not I am saying it is ridiculous. Does this year look any different? The only thing is we had a 2 week bye when the state game got cancelled.. but the product on the field is the same.. Covid should not be an excuse to keep him.. 

2 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I am not sure why anyone is surprised. We have not been a good team all year. The LSU game was good but let’s admit that LSUs defense is trash. Alabama is well coached at every single position and we are not. The difference between us and Alabama? Coaching plain and simple.. hopefully someone with the money will end this nightmare soon. 

In my humble opinion the difference between us and Bama is that they are 5 and 4 stars held accountable to a professional standard, lest they get replaced by another 4 or 5 star breathing down their necks. We are 4 and 3 stars who aren't held as accountable for excellent play to a upper-high school standard.

Just now, AuMarine said:

The Gus gets a pass this year because of Covid is so ridiculous.. I am not questioning if that is true or not I am saying it is ridiculous. Does this year look any different? The only thing is we had a 2 week bye when the state game got cancelled.. but the product on the field is the same.. Covid should not be an excuse to keep him.. 

The only thing COVID has done for me was really expose Gus. Another poster pointed this out, but he usually has this type of conference record. The cupcake wins make it seem nicer than what it truly is. 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Bama is great.  I had zero illusions of winning today.

But the game plan and effort were pathetic.  When you play someone like Bama, you have to throw the kitchen sink at them.  We tried to slow it up and cover the spread.  I'm fine with losing if I think our entire sideline is giving everything they have to win.  Frankly, this is the fourth Iron Bowl of Gus's tenure where I've felt he hasn't tried to win, especially on offense.  2015, 2016, and 2018 all felt similar.

Credit where credit is due! We were terrible! Sark smoked Gus! 

1 minute ago, AuMarine said:

If something does happen to Malzahn, I hope Jack Bicknell, Jr. is retained.  I am impressed with the work he has done.  Even down three starters for the Iron Bowl, they held up pretty decently.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The only thing COVID has done for me was really expose Gus. Another poster pointed this out, but he usually has this type of conference record. The cupcake wins make it seem nicer than what it truly is. 

You could say (as I have) that 2017 looks better with just conference play. But that's about it.

Just now, tigeraddikt said:

In my humble opinion the difference between us and Bama is that they are 5 and 4 stars held accountable to a professional standard, lest they get replaced by another 4 or 5 star breathing down their necks. We are 4 and 3 stars who aren't held as accountable for excellent play to a upper-high school standard.

Correct! 

One of the posters on this forum, also Called out NS for "belittling his players." No! What I see from him, Dabo and even Dan Mullen lately is freaking excellence demanded.  NS doesn't care if he is playing Alabama State and winning by 100. If his players screw up he is on them hardcore. We have coaches celebrating barely beating Arkansas. 

Archived