Bo Nix vs Mac Jones

auburn4ever

• auburn4ever changed the title to Bo Nix vs Mac Jones

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why even debate it? Mac Jones has 1000x better coaches around him than Nix. He has been taught fundamentals and coached on playing the position. He has better opportunities, better receivers, better OLine and better running backs and it is not even close. 5* recruits have to be coached up and developed on the college level same as 3* recruits. Jones has the advantage in every category to succeed. Kid is damn good.  

29 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Ha. Mac Jones would have thrown at least three INTs behind this line!

So you say.... that hypothetical argument may be the weakest out of them all

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Mac Jones was a 3 star QB. Bo Nix was a 5 star QB. Which QB would you have wanted today?

Well, he was probably a 4 star QB. He got one star because of his name. 

People can say what they want about development, Bo has had every opportunity on his own to not aimlessly throw off his back foot or continuously fail to identify when a play isn't there

Chad's O has been a drastic improvement schematically (and has improved over the season). In aggregate...I don't think we've seen that same level of improvement from Bo. Just got about 4 games that matched the hype some of you guys were giving him 

It all goes back to coaching.  Jones has had the benefit of very good QB position coaches.  Jones has had the benefit of very good OLine and WR coaching.   Bo has had very little coaching of the fundamentals of a D1 QB. As with every QB that Gus has had, Bo is no better now than his first day in camp.  Our receivers coach is a Gus yes man and poor position coach.  I like Cadillac as our RB coach but he still has to learn.  Who knows about our OLine coaching because Gus and our coaches can’t or won’t recruit top tier OLinemen.   It all goes back to coaching.  

I don't understand this scared to hold Bo accountable...I'm still trying to figure it out......Bo still throwing picks because he won't get his feet straight isn't the coaches fault.....I mean it is because they let him do it but you can't be this old and still doing that and just say it's on the coaches......all these QB's that's come and gone but now we want to focus on coaches? What about all the other guys that were criticized by everybody on here? 

I've had about all I can take of the Bo special treatment. Yeah he doesn't have the best everything but guess what 95% of the QB's don't and they don't get coddled. It's did you make it happen or not. The QB's that make it happen in spite of are deemed special and they get looked at by the pros. 

He gets all the praise when stuff goes right, he can get some blame just on him

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So you say.... that hypothetical argument may be the weakest out of them all

He threw two INTs last IB while under less duress than Bo had today. So it’s an easy argument to make. It doesn’t take away from your Bo bashing. So carry on. 

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't understand this scared to hold Bo accountable...I'm still trying to figure it out......Bo still throwing picks because he won't get his feet straight isn't the coaches fault.....I mean it is because they let him do it but you can't be this old and still doing that and just say it's on the coaches......all these QB's that's come and gone but now we want to focus on coaches? What about all the other guys that were criticized by everybody on here? 

I've had about all I can take of the Bo special treatment. Yeah he doesn't have the best everything but guess what 95% of the QB's don't and they don't get coddled. It's did you make it happen or not. The QB's that make it happen in spite of are deemed special and they get looked at by the pros. 

You’re not wrong but good coaches will coach the bad habits out of their QBs.  We’re almost two full seasons into the Bo era and we’re still seeing the same things we saw in game one. IMO, that is lack of fundamentals coaching. 

16 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

He threw two INTs last IB while under less duress than Bo had today. So it’s an easy argument to make. It doesn’t take away from your Bo bashing. So carry on. 

He did this thing called getting better......and stop being a child, it turns out what you called Bo bashing I was completely right about.....but actually just sit this one out. 

Lol to hypothetically say he would suck you went to last year. Point out his bad play this year to make logic......🤡

21 minutes ago, around4ever said:

You’re not wrong but good coaches will coach the bad habits out of their QBs.  We’re almost two full seasons into the Bo era and we’re still seeing the same things we saw in game one. IMO, that is lack of fundamentals coaching. 

I agree, I'm just saying some stuff is so basic. I remember in middle school position coaches fussing about not setting up before throws

31 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Did you ever consider that he...improved? Mac Jones is light years ahead of Bo Nix. 

When Gus called on for a 3rd FG when we were way down, that told me that Gus just flat out quit. 2 FG's can see, but that 3rd FG try was the call of someone who stopped coaching all together.

What Bo needs is:

1).  True competition for QB1

2).  Better coaching that holds him accountable (motivated by 1) above)

3).  Xanax to calm his butt down

Mac has better coaches and a better system for sure. However, as an individual Mac has definitely improved you cannot take that away from him. Bo may not have a system suited for him or the coaching staff around him but he definitely has the tools and resources to work on his game INDIVIDUALLY. He honestly has minimally progressed from that point since high school and it is baffling because his dad was his high school coach. 

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

Mac has better coaches and a better system for sure. However, as an individual Mac has definitely improved you cannot take that away from him. Bo may not have a system suited for him or the coaching staff around him but he definitely has the tools and resources to work on his game INDIVIDUALLY. He honestly has minimally progressed from that point since high school and it is baffling because his dad was his high school coach. 

In fairness to Nix, I think he has made an effort to stay in the pocket more, still runs out when he shouldn’t but it seems he has tried to clean it up. We do not have a coach that demands greatness from him and of course he is not looking over his shoulder either. I think that is the major difference. If Mac Jones was not producing and playing like crap, no doubt he would be on the bench.. if Nix had signed with Alabama or Clemson they would have cleaned up his game or he would not be on the field for them.. plain and simple. That is why we are who we are and they are who they are. 

14 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

In fairness to Nix, I think he has made an effort to stay in the pocket more, still runs out when he shouldn’t but it seems he has tried to clean it up. We do not have a coach that demands greatness from him and of course he is not looking over his shoulder either. I think that is the major difference. If Mac Jones was not producing and playing like crap, no doubt he would be on the bench.. if Nix had signed with Alabama or Clemson they would have cleaned up his game or he would not be on the field for them.. plain and simple. That is why we are who we are and they are who they are. 

I agree the coaching is a big part for sure. However, this would said prior to his recruitment and some of us were met with "Well his dad is Patrick Nix." Like he will be his private coach. To me Bo did not look that fundamentally sound out of high school either, hence why I think even if he went to Bama, he wouldn't have beaten out Mac Jones. Do people forget Mac Jones beat out Bryce Young (look him up), Paul Tyson and Taulia to start? Guys considered at a much higher regard than him? People think Bo would go to Bama and be putting up Mac's number and that just shouldn't be the assumption. 

Mac has a great line in front of him.  Bo does not.  When Bo gets protection he is still not as accurate as Mac but he is much better than he looked Saturday.  Give him the Bammer O line in front of him and DeVonta Smith to throw to and he would look like a much better QB.  

I'm saying when did we start the if this was this and he had that stuff? We didn't do it for jj. Wouldn't do it for SW unless it was directly compared to jj. 

We have been this guy isn't accurate get him out of here! We've been as cold to QB's as anybody now all of a sudden it's yeah he's not good but hypothetically if he had this and that he'd be good! 

Yes I agree if it wasn't as hard he'd be better.......he was a freaking 5 star. 5 star QB's carries you to wins. You win some games because they made you better than you were.....not in spite of

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

People can say what they want about development, Bo has had every opportunity on his own to not aimlessly throw off his back foot or continuously fail to identify when a play isn't there

Chad's O has been a drastic improvement schematically (and has improved over the season). In aggregate...I don't think we've seen that same level of improvement from Bo. Just got about 4 games that matched the hype some of you guys were giving him 

To add to this point, QBs are allowed to get QB Coaches and I thought most of the big buzz around Bo Nix was the fact that he was coached up by his father from day one. I thought he was TAUGHT all of these fundamentals that Mac Jones had to learn. This used to be all of the storyline around Bo Nix, that he was groomed to be everything and THEN SOME that Patrick Nix was for us.

Now, even with a bit superior scheme that has been tailored to Bo's style, we see him still going out playing like a Psuedo Manziel. (Too much freestyling and throwing bad reads + forcing the ball to the big WR a'la Mike Evans + No set footwork and follow-through on throws.) with overtones of a watered down Sam Ehlinger(Trying to do the QB Power shtick whilst being a marginally slower QB). At some point, the protection of inexperience washes off and then you're left with whatever you have underneath, be that polished or not. I always look to the example that we see from Cam Newton in NE, where he is basically going in EACH AND EVERY WEEK and focusing on what his weaknesses are and improving them, DESPITE a massive injury history that would hamper his playstyle. This is what QBs that have been coached from an early age and have the right mindset are supposed to do in between weeks. We haven't seen this from Nix. Every week looks the same, the only difference is the quality of the DBs and LBs covering the WRs. Balls aren't put in good places for our speed threats to get YAC, Deep throws usually require the WR to adjust heavily or turn around, and we rarely get lasers that were supposedly talked up in camp. (Only 50/50 prayer heaves).

Potential is awesome, but its like private stock, if you don't go public with the potential, IT ISN'T WORTH CRAP.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree the coaching is a big part for sure. However, this would said prior to his recruitment and some of us were met with "Well his dad is Patrick Nix." Like he will be his private coach. To me Bo did not look that fundamentally sound out of high school either, hence why I think even if he went to Bama, he wouldn't have beaten out Mac Jones. Do people forget Mac Jones beat out Bryce Young (look him up), Paul Tyson and Taulia to start? Guys considered at a much higher regard than him? People think Bo would go to Bama and be putting up Mac's number and that just shouldn't be the assumption. 

Never forget that we ran his competition out of here, one of which is now a top prospect for the NFL draft showcasing a howitzer for an arm, rare athleticism that you don't see in a QB, and excellent poise and fundamentals as a passer. Don't give me anything about the level of competition either, because you don't need equal competition to be able to see the traits.

The other went to Kentucky where the cupboard is bare admittedly as far as WR talent and offensive weapons, but when he was here, was apparently neck and neck with Nix and at the very least gave you a 2nd option and an easier playstyle to win with, in complement with our weapons. 

TOP NOTCH ROSTER MISMANAGEMENT. (See MAR for a most-recent example of talent mismanagement.)

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!

Bo is not a.performance qb.  He may be a very good practice qb, but when there is pressure, he is erratic and plays with fear, meaning he does not listen to any teaching.  He just does what he does, much to the detriment of the team.

Archived