Bo Nix vs Mac Jones

auburn4ever

11 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Never forget that we ran his competition out of here, one of which is now a top prospect for the NFL draft showcasing a howitzer for an arm, rare athleticism that you don't see in a QB, and excellent poise and fundamentals as a passer. Don't give me anything about the level of competition either, because you don't need equal competition to be able to see the traits.

The other went to Kentucky where the cupboard is bare admittedly as far as WR talent and offensive weapons, but when he was here, was apparently neck and neck with Nix and at the very least gave you a 2nd option and an easier playstyle to win with, in complement with our weapons. 

TOP NOTCH ROSTER MISMANAGEMENT. (See MAR for a most-recent example of talent mismanagement.)

Correct. The only problem is, I don't know if MW would have developed like this if he stayed. Your point still remains, just like the others point matters regarding coaching, scheme and talent. Just like my point mentioning competition and individual skillset matters even with great coaching and teammates. The frustration seems to be that all of these can hold true, yet we can't seem to understand this. I am just glad MW is getting the best chance with a great coach. I hope Bo is smart enough to get private QB coaching and not hitch is wagon to Gus tutelage. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The mismanagement and inability to develop THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD should, by itself, be justification for firing Gus. Every QB during his tenure has either regressed or left the team for one reason or another. Nix came as a flawed but very talented QB prospect and looks no better at the end of his second season than he did at the start of his true freshman season. Hell, even Danielson was repeatedly pointing out his flawed mechanics/fundamentals during the broadcast (and he’s usually too busy being an Alabama sycophant to notice anything). The lack of development lies at the feet of both the coaches and the player. The repeat of this same storyline and the lack of a real option behind the starter falls on one person only- and he’s making $7 million/year for that incompetence. People continuing to defend this coaching staff and justifying keeping it is just surrendering to mediocrity.

These are things I still get attacked for.......I mean really guys mad like you are talking about their son.....I remember being called all type of things because I said it's crazy that we don't even give MW to throw the ball in blow outs......people matter of factly saying mw was a horrible QB and I would say we don't even know he's not allowed to run passing plays and the thought was well if Gus doesn't let him throw he can't.

I felt like it's the Twilight zone.....Nobody else thought it was weird the only QB on the roster that can throw is Bo??? And it turns out he's not really accurate and not even strong in basic fundamentals??

21 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Malik is the Hero we need, Bo is the Hero we deserve.

I think this speaks volume to the coaching ability of Hugh vs Gus. 

Everyone assuming Malik would just come in and be gangbusters here is forgetting one very important detail...hed be in Gus's offense coached by Gus's staff. Common denominator in all these qbs that seemingly had potential flaking out is Gus. 

26 minutes ago, 1716AU said:

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!

Bo is not a.performance qb.  He may be a very good practice qb, but when there is pressure, he is erratic and plays with fear, meaning he does not listen to any teaching.  He just does what he does, much to the detriment of the team.

To add to this; Bo has yet to take personal responsibility for his play, if he had, we would have seen results by now.  He is the only one that can do that, obviously his coaches are alright with his performance.  

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!

Bo is not a.performance qb.  He may be a very good practice qb, but when there is pressure, he is erratic and plays with fear, meaning he does not listen to any teaching.  He just does what he does, much to the detriment of the team.

Name me the last QB that wasn't a Juco transfer, that came in here and actually improved as a QB under our coaching staff. It is 100% coaching. 

I bet if you put Bo behind Alabama's offensive line, he isn't dancing around like some fool, making erratic throws and throwing off his back foot. Saban would pull him if he did. The problem is Auburn is ok with mediocrity and Alabama is not.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

To add to this; Bo has yet to take personal responsibility for his play, if he had, we would have seen results by now.  He is the only one that can do that, obviously his coaches are alright with his performance.  

If I may, listen to JBoy's Sunday podcast.

They are NOT coaching on the Offensive side of the ball, outside of the OL coach.  They're NOT.

Top players that take plays off, playing favorites with playing time, and calling an incredibly VANILLA gamelan on offense.

Gus quit.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Also to add: 

I fully agree with you!

I’m not debating QB development at all with my statement. 

I don’t blame PAT Nix for BOs fundamental flaws either. I have coached my kids and no matter how talented my son was or is I couldn’t coach his bad habits out. 

Based on BOs season thus far, body language and sideline conversations with CM, Do we have a coachable QB?  

3 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

Also to add: 

I fully agree with you!

I’m not debating QB development at all with my statement. 

I don’t blame PAT Nix for BOs fundamental flaws either. I have coached my kids and no matter how talented my son was or is I couldn’t coach his bad habits out. 

Based on BOs season thus far, body language and sideline conversations with CM, Do we have a coachable QB?  

Pat Nix has done all he can in developing Bo.  There does come a time when your kid just thinks he knows more than you and stops listening.  If Bo thinks he knows more than CM and/or Gus he has become un-coachable.  He may need a change in scenery to a coach he respects.  I’m not saying this is the case and I hope he looks in himself to correct his trajectory.

3 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

Why?

Why stay? Coaches aren't helping him develop. Not putting him in a position to succeed. Fans aren't behind you.

Have we seen any improvement from freshman to sophomore year? Hell, have we ever seen improvement in a quarterback under Gus?

Malik Willis wasn't allowed to throw the ball here and this season he looked like a borderline Heisman candidate at freaking Liberty

Joey Gatewood obviously wasn't developed in the slightest based off his appearance at Kentucky

Hell Nick Marshall and Jarrett Stidham, two of the best quarterbacks Auburn has ever had, regressed in their second year under Gus

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Why stay? Coaches aren't helping him develop. Not putting him in a position to succeed. Fans aren't behind you.

Have we seen any improvement from freshman to sophomore year? Hell, have we ever seen improvement in a quarterback under Gus?

Malik Willis wasn't allowed to throw the ball here and this season he looked like a borderline Heisman candidate at freaking Liberty

Joey Gatewood obviously wasn't developed in the slightest based off his appearance at Kentucky

Hell Nick Marshall and Jarrett Stidham, two of the best quarterbacks Auburn has ever had, regressed in their second year under Gus

I was curious what your thoughts were. What if playing Football at Auburn is his dream come true? Maybe he is loyal to the legacy his dad built for him. The young man has been a fan his entire life. 

7 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree the coaching is a big part for sure. However, this would said prior to his recruitment and some of us were met with "Well his dad is Patrick Nix." Like he will be his private coach. To me Bo did not look that fundamentally sound out of high school either, hence why I think even if he went to Bama, he wouldn't have beaten out Mac Jones. Do people forget Mac Jones beat out Bryce Young (look him up), Paul Tyson and Taulia to start? Guys considered at a much higher regard than him? People think Bo would go to Bama and be putting up Mac's number and that just shouldn't be the assumption. 

I totally agree 100%. My whole point is that Nix has not got the coaching that any of Alabama’s QBs (or any qb for that matter) have so we have a big unknown. What we do know is that he has not been coached on fundamentals period. and CGM has a pattern of not developing QB talent at all.  I know about Bryce Young and he is a stud and a lot of bama fans thought he would waltz in and take the job from Mac .. but Mac has been coached up and knows the system (because they have a system) he is fundamentally sound and smart.  

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I fully agree minus Nick Marshall. I do not think Marshall regressed at all.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

These are things I still get attacked for.......I mean really guys mad like you are talking about their son.....I remember being called all type of things because I said it's crazy that we don't even give MW to throw the ball in blow outs......people matter of factly saying mw was a horrible QB and I would say we don't even know he's not allowed to run passing plays and the thought was well if Gus doesn't let him throw he can't.

I felt like it's the Twilight zone.....Nobody else thought it was weird the only QB on the roster that can throw is Bo??? And it turns out he's not really accurate and not even strong in basic fundamentals??

We all wanted Gus to throw with MW and work on the passing game in blowouts. 

I am not buying for one second that Auburn coaches have not tried working on Nix's mechanics. It is absolutely silly to think they aren't. The fact that Bo has been a QB for a long time and has been to so many camps you can't keep count and his mechanics are still awful, the most obvious explanation as to why he hasn't improved is because he isn't good. Period. His recruiting ranking was clearly a farce. I cant help but believe he set records in high school simply because of volume, not extreme talent. He has never been accurate and never will be. Unfortunately Gus was stuck having to recruit him, and we are stuck as fans having to watch and wait until he is gone. 

Things for him would absolutely be different had he gone to Clemson or Bama or somewhere similar. He would be sitting on the bench and never starting a game.

3 minutes ago, Topher 1310 said:

I am not buying for one second that Auburn coaches have not tried working on Nix's mechanics. It is absolutely silly to think they aren't. The fact that Bo has been a QB for a long time and has been to so many camps you can't keep count and his mechanics are still awful, the most obvious explanation as to why he hasn't improved is because he isn't good. Period. His recruiting ranking was clearly a farce. I cant help but believe he set records in high school simply because of volume, not extreme talent. He has never been accurate and never will be. Unfortunately Gus was stuck having to recruit him, and we are stuck as fans having to watch and wait until he is gone. 

Things for him would absolutely be different had he gone to Clemson or Bama or somewhere similar. He would be sitting on the bench and never starting a game.

That being said, Malzahn's mismanagement of the QBs and having zero competition behind Nix is enough alone to fire him. 

37 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We all wanted Gus to throw with MW and work on the passing game in blowouts. 

That's definitely not true. I was in an argument for two or three days with multiple people about it. I was literally confused because I was thinking why would you not want it. Why would you argue against that. 

39 minutes ago, Topher 1310 said:

This. I haven't ever thought he wasn't any good but if you think he hasn't been told by coaches to fix his footwork then don't go make any major purchases right now because you can be sold anything. Something that basic over this amount of time is basically him saying no I can't or no I don't want to.....one or the other

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This. I haven't ever thought he wasn't any good but if you think he hasn't been told by coaches to fix his footwork then don't go make any major purchases right now because you can be sold anything. Something that basic over this amount of time is basically him saying no I can't or no I don't want to.....one or the other

Maybe isn't good is too harsh. Isn't good enough is probably more fitting.

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I fully agree minus Nick Marshall. I do not think Marshall regressed at all.

Moreso the record was worse and our red zone problems began

2 hours ago, Topher 1310 said:

That being said, Malzahn's mismanagement of the QBs and having zero competition behind Nix is enough alone to fire him. 

He had competition. The competition didn't want to stick around to get no playing time. 

Archived