Perspective

tigeraddikt

I come bearing math. The sting of the Saban era at UAT to me is that it has undermined pretty much any "leveling out" of the IB rivalry that occurred post-Paul Bryant. Dye won more IBs that he lost by a slim margin; we were about .500 with Bowden, and Tubbs was able to dominate the IB because of UAT's tumultuous days of sanctions and poor hires. The following data shows that Saban is not simply dominating AU, but he is dominating the entire SECW at a frighteningly similar clip. We have on avg fared more poorly in our Bama losses than LSU, yet since 2008, we are 1 game better against Bama than LSU. So, to me it is not that AU's Saturday performance was a horrible embarrassment. It is that Saban's Bama program is operating on a level of domination the likes of which CFB has never seen. And it just completely sucks that we share a state with his semi-pro team, and that we have historically considered them our biggest rival.

Ole Miss:

Since 2008: 2-11
Since 2011: 2-8

Avg losing score: 477/11 to 185/11 (43-17)

Miss State:

Since 2008: 0-13
Since 2011: 0-10

Avg losing score: 416/13 to 101/13 (32-8)

Arkansas:

Since 2008: 0-12
Since 2011: 0-9

Avg. losing score: 494/12 - 163/12 (41-14)

LSU:

Since 2008: 3-10

Avg. losing score: 244/10 - 109/10 (24-11)

Auburn:

Since 2008: 4-9
Since 2011: 3-7

Avg. losing score: 361/9 - 138/9 (40-15)

TAMU (entered the SEC IN 2012):

Since 2012: 1-8

Avg. losing score: 353/8 - 173/8 (44-22)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Tigerpaul53 said:

2139DEF8-F4B0-4EBF-9F33-1CCFCA7D16EC.jpeg

Those are all great numbers to reinforce the idea that Gustav is not the answer at HC for AU. I started the thread just to bring perspective to AU vs AL under Saban.

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I come bearing math. The sting of the Saban era at UAT to me is that it has undermined pretty much any "leveling out" of the IB rivalry that occurred post-Paul Bryant. Dye won more IBs that he lost by a slim margin; we were about .500 with Bowden, and Tubbs was able to dominate the IB because of UAT's tumultuous days of sanctions and poor hires. The following data shows that Saban is not simply dominating AU, but he is dominating the entire SECW at a frighteningly similar clip. We have on avg fared more poorly in our Bama losses than LSU, yet since 2008, we are 1 game better against Bama than LSU. So, to me it is not that AU is a horrible embarrassment. It is that Saban's Bama program is operating on a level of domination the likes of which CFB has never seen. And it just completely sucks that we share a state with his semi-pro team, and that we have historically considered them our biggest rival.

Ole Miss:

Since 2008: 2-11

Avg losing score: 477/11 to 185/11 (43-17)

Miss State:

Since 2008: 0-13
Since 2011: 0-10

Avg losing score: 416/13 to 101/13 (32-8)

Arkansas:

Since 2008: 0-12
Since 2011: 0-9

Avg. losing score: 494/12 - 163/12 (41-14)

LSU:

Since 2008: 3-10

Avg. losing score: 244/10 - 109/10 (24-11)

Auburn:

Since 2008: 4-9
Since 2011: 3-7

Avg. losing score: 361/9 - 138/9 (40-15)

TAMU (entered the SEC IN 2012):

Since 2012: 1-8

Avg. losing score: 353/8 - 173/8 (44-22)

But none of this is groundbreaking. 100 percent of the fanbase understand that Alabama is on an unprecedented run. I don't really know the point you are making here.

Until or unless Auburn makes the same type commitment to the program as they did when Dye was hired, then get used to what happened yesterday because there are a lot of those ahead. :banghead:

8 hours ago, DAG said:

But none of this is groundbreaking. 100 percent of the fanbase understand that Alabama is on an unprecedented run. I don't really know the point you are making here.

The point was clearly made in the post itself.

I don't want GM to be our head coach any longer, either. I haven't wanted him since dropping that fart in 2017 @ Baton Rouge. But for our fans to act all aghast at Saturday's outcome is silly to me.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

I don't want GM to be our head coach any longer, either. I haven't wanted him since dropping that fart in 2017 @ Baton Rouge. But for our fans to act all aghast at Saturday's outcome is silly to me.

It's not being aghast at the outcome.  Most of knew we were losing that football game a long time ago.

It's being aghast at the complete lack of effort from the coaching staff on Saturday.  No imagination.  Not even trying to attack Bama.  Get into 2nd and long and run the ball up the middle?  Sorry, that's piss poor.

Losing Saturday was inevitable, just like 1998, 1999, and 2009.  But you know the difference between those years and this one?  We actually fought our asses off in those seasons and at least threw everything we had at Bama.  If anyone feels like we did that on Saturday, then I really question what the hell they were watching.

1 hour ago, tigeraddikt said:

Please see the post above and try again. Most of us knew it would take a crazy effort to win. That was not the issue/. Again, what you are bringing to the table is not new. 

I am not upset about the loss to Alabama. That was inevitable. I am upset about the loss to Georgia and the loss to South Carolina. 
If we were sitting here right now with one loss, I would be fine. 

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

Is it silly for our fans to expect better coaching and on-the-field performance when the HC is in his 8th (EIGHTH) year with the program? 

Fans are no longer aghast when we see Saturday's outcome, they're just floored that the Auburn Administration allows the silliness to continue while paying this staff +$8MM/yr for mediocre results.

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

I didn't see any real fight in this team or coaching staff in this year's IB.  It was almost surreal.  

But but but.....Gus' players always fight and play hard for him, right?

i doubt it gets better anytime soon. i read where no one in the athletic department are getting bonuses due to covid. that tells me we are doomed hardy.........

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i doubt it gets better anytime soon. i read where no one in the athletic department are getting bonuses due to covid. that tells me we are doomed hardy.........

Well I know other schools who coaches took pay cuts this year. They can live without their bonuses 

i personally do not think there is any chemistry at all with this football team. i am so confused with our secondary i have no idea what the hell is going on there. we are not tackling very well right now. ole miss showed us how to play bama but i am not sure we got the message. and i am upset for gus letting tank play. he just seemed like he was still hurt and had no business on the field. now i am just a fan so i am sure i miss stuff. and i think there are times bo needs to sit a series and clear his mind and settle down. right now he still seems to be trying to do it all and i am not sure that he has not regressed some. maybe he is the only option we have but it comes off making bo look like a primadonna to the rest of the team. did our receivers even catch half their balls saturday? i think the gus giving back to hiring certain coaches has bit us in the behind. and we know now rhett can coach. it is just a bad look all around.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I know other schools who coaches took pay cuts this year. They can live without their bonuses 

my apologies i was referring to the buyout and was not clear.............

also too often i believe our players minds are not in the right place. i think trash talking with sc was a huge reason we lost that game. and saturday we just did not look like we were playing hard. i can take losses but i want at least the other team to by gawd know they played us and wake up banged up the next day and remembering the cost it took to beat us. this is what hurts my very soul.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my apologies i was referring to the buyout and was not clear.............

No need to apologize buddy! 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

also too often i believe our players minds are not in the right place. i think trash talking with sc was a huge reason we lost that game. and saturday we just did not look like we were playing hard. i can take losses but i want at least the other team to by gawd know they played us and wake up banged up the next day and remembering the cost it took to beat us. this is what hurts my very soul.

Auburn is not a dominating team under this staff Fifty.  That is a sad but true fact. 

They occasionally show "flashes", but they rarely impose their will on any of our main rivals and it's spilled over to some of the other lowly SEC teams.  An even sadder fact is that they (coaches/Admin/some players) appear to be ok with the fact that this team doesn't dominate in old Auburn fashion.  

3 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

But for our fans to act all aghast at Saturday's outcome is silly to me.

Huh? Who was aghast? Most on here predicted a blowout. Vegas predicted a blowout. Gus probably predicted a blowout.

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think trash talking with sc was a huge reason we lost that game.

Nah. We lost that game because Bo threw 3 picks on his own end of the field. Our 2nd and last touchdown came 2 minutes into the 2nd quarter. 

We only gave up 297 yards of total offense.

Defense could've played better but them trash talking an SC team that was doing plenty of their own wasn't even a top 10 reason we lost. Especially since it didn't materialize as penalties. 

22 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How does trash talking make you lose?

If our yearly losses were to bama alone it'd be one thing. The bama game is only ~20% of our yearly loss totals. Even when we best bama we end up with ~4 losses.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

If our yearly losses were to bama alone it'd be one thing. The bama game is only ~20% of our yearly loss totals. Even when we best bama we end up with ~4 losses.

I've posted for years on here that if the only loss Gus sustained was to Bama, then he'd be in an elite status as AU's HC and he'd be riding high and would deserve that hefty salary.

Bama is not the problem with the consistent mediocrity of this coaching staff.

16 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Until or unless Auburn makes the same type commitment to the program as they did when Dye was hired, then get used to what happened yesterday because there are a lot of those ahead. :banghead:

I hate losing to Bama, but I could weather that if we were competitive vs UGA, and not losing to the likes of USCe, UCF, and Minnesota. 

Archived