Worst Road Coach in SEC History

AUght2win

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Probably thinking about how much better our offense would be if Chad wasn't screwing everything up.

image.png

Chad called plays a couple of Games but lately Chad is calling what Gus tells him too. It has become to easy to spot when Gus is calling plays. First their will be no passes across the middle. Second the TE passes will disappear. And thirdly and most visible is the offense will begin to look like a cluster Cluck. 😁 I’m trying to be nice here.

Few trends I see in that is that it's almost an absolute a coach here will finish with a losing record in B.R and that we're the "Camback" away from being shutout as a program in these venues since 09 

I think we need a program defining type of hire. Can't really afford to fire Gus and get another middling potential guy. 

4 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

that historically, to be retained long enough to produce such lousy road records, coaches have to be extremely impressive at home

It would have almost no relevancy to this thread, as the OP makes no major point about the tenure duration being what's impressively terrible about this streak lol. just the wealth of coaches that aren't as embarrassing 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It would have almost no relevancy to this thread, as the OP makes no major point about the tenure duration being what's impressively terrible about this streak lol. just the wealth of coaches that aren't as embarrassing 

It actually hurts his argument. All the coaches listed got FEWER chances yet more wins. I didn't even list guys who were fired, promoted, or retired after a year or two. But for instance, Jim McElwain won in Baton Rogue while only coaching 2 and a half seasons. 

2 hours ago, aucat said:

recruiting and motivating disability kills a good program. coach Chizik @ least know how to find good recruits

Reeling in talent is not Malzahn's problem. We have a lot of talent. But its stockpiled at only a few positions and isn't developed. We just don't have a coach.

A real coach - a leader, motivator, and developer would do wonders with Auburn the way we recruit nowadays. If Tommy Tubberville was able (or more like, willing) to sign classes like Auburn does now, he'd have won 4 or 5 SEC titles and stayed at Auburn longer than Dye. 

He only really had two top-10 level classes in 00 and 01 (Campbell, Brown, Cadillac, Dansby, Rogers) and look what he did with 'em. 

Watching Gus is maddening. He's like a guy trying to build a house. He orders the finest lumber and bricks. He draws up a brilliant design. But he doesn't know how to use an effing hammer. It's all futile. 

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

It actually hurts his argument. All the coaches listed got FEWER chances yet more wins. I didn't even list guys who were fired, promoted, or retired after a year or two. But for instance, Jim McElwain won in Baton Rogue while only coaching 2 and a half seasons. 

I don't know what premise one could operating on that would make Gus look less embarrassing here. Percentages, there's a ton of guys that are higher than zero percent on that list. Raw numbers, already ran through that. Whittle it down to coaches that played in a semi-comparable amount of games, they still have more wins lol 

4 hours ago, aucat said:

recruiting and motivating disability kills a good program. coach Chizik @ least know how to find good recruits

I think some middle ground between what Gus has done here and what Gene seemingly aspired for, would have Auburn in a pretty decent spot. Gene was pretty much Dabo before Dabo in terms of the image he presented to the media, I don't think he was quite as committed to the bit nor as exuberant, but very few coaches are. I think he could've fought back against negative recruiting better than Gus seemingly has. I think I prefer what he did with the trenches more, specifically the offensive trenches. 

But Gus is just world's better at keeping guys wanting to play (sounds funny after the last game huh) and running a coherent ship. I think Gene, probably in part due to who his lead assistants were, had a constantly shaking ship that could've crashed at any moment. We've had less major incidents in the 8 years of Gus than in the 3 Gene had, IMO. Not to mention overall talent development has been better with our current staff

14 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Chad called plays a couple of Games but lately Chad is calling what Gus tells him too. It has become to easy to spot when Gus is calling plays. First their will be no passes across the middle. Second the TE passes will disappear. And thirdly and most visible is the offense will begin to look like a cluster Cluck. 😁 I’m trying to be nice here.

I wonder if Gus has given him the restaurant week menu to choose off of like he did Chip Lindsey. 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

But Gus is just world's better at keeping guys wanting to play (sounds funny after the last game huh)

It's a mysterious super power. Even after the last game. That he's been so consistently mediocre and we can count on one hand the number of times the team has quit... it's really quite an accomplishment. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's a mysterious super power. Even after the last game. That he's been so consistently mediocre and we can count on one hand the number of times the team has quit... it's really quite an accomplishment. 

The players love him! And I think he put the right coordinators in place to mitigate uprisings. Gene did the complete opposite 

On 12/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, auburn4ever said:

If Barfield was still coaching, I have no doubt that his team could beat a Malzahn team with no trouble.

This is the most deflating post in the history of AUFamily.  When you long for the days of Doug Barfield, you've lost all hope.  Sadly, this is true.  I'm surprised there are any recruits left.  

I'm still afraid he does something...anything positive... in the next few weeks and it allows him to remain HC for an additional year.

Heck, Derek Mason might still be employed if he could have just gotten close enough just ONCE to try a FG against Mizzou. 

I think Mason got fired for a publicity stunt gone wrong...read the Vandy press release...they try to make giving Mizzou the ball at the 35 to start the 2nd half was the equivalent of the kick-6 return.  Vandy should be kicked out of the SEC for that cluster-****.  

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I think Mason got fired for a publicity stunt gone wrong...read the Vandy press release...they try to make giving Mizzou the ball at the 35 to start the 2nd half was the equivalent of the kick-6 return.  Vandy should be kicked out of the SEC for that cluster-****.  

I think she's trying again this week.

Chad is calling what Gus tells him to. Heck, that's nothing new for Gus, he's done that to every OC he's had since taking the AU job in 2013. By keeping him another year will not make things any better. It will just make things worse. A lot worse.

There's no place like home. In Gus Malzahn's case, home is Arkansas and the Auburn Family should do all that we can to send him back there THIS YEAR.

Archived