Coach Steele

auburn4ever

I usually have a lot of confidence in Steele, but last week he s*** the bed. Somehow, he thought his talent level was good enough to their talent level to play man nearly all night. And nearly all night he got Smoked (pun intended). Not only is the talent level not equal, but neither is the football IQ. We play dumb as hell far too often.  

I like Pritchett and Simpson, but the rest are feast or famine players. 

I really have no opinion as to will/should he retire; I do know that he is not the problem at the moment, nor has he ever been.

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I usually have a lot of confidence in Steele, but last week he s*** the bed. Somehow, he thought his talent level was good enough to their talent level to play man nearly all night. And nearly all night he got Smoked (pun intended). Not only is the talent level not equal, but neither is the football IQ. We play dumb as hell far too often.  

I really have no opinion as to will/should he retire; I do know that he is not the problem at the moment, nor has he ever been.

He coached like even he wanted Gus fired.

41 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I have often thought to myself, not only are we apparenty not that talented but we don't play very smart. This looking exactly like the end of the Chizik debacle.

2 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I have often thought to myself, not only are we apparenty not that talented but we don't play very smart. This looking exactly like the end of the Chizik debacle.

We’re scary good, though...🤣

I don't think I can both show respect to Steele and criticize aspects of our defense without people on here getting real touchy and defensive of him. If he chose to retire I hope he waits until we can wrap up some of these defensive recruits first. Would we allow T-Will or Garner to step up as DC? If not he likely walks imo.

43 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't think I can both show respect to Steele and criticize aspects of our defense without people on here getting real touchy and defensive of him. If he chose to retire I hope he waits until we can wrap up some of these defensive recruits first. Would we allow T-Will or Garner to step up as DC? If not he likely walks imo.

Supposedly Steele is fed up with Gus.

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

There's a lot of folks fed up with Gustav.

25 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Time for another Muschamp booty call?

I wouldn’t mind Muschamp stomping and screaming on the sideline.  Gus slowed down the offense the way he wanted.  What about TRob?  

43 minutes ago, cctiger said:

There's a lot of folks fed up with Gustav.

Of course but you wouldn't think it would be from someone thats been on the staff that long.

It wasn't that long ago when AU hired Muschamp for the DC job to replace Ellis Johnson. About 2 or 3 years later, our defense got even worse and Will was fired. He later became HC Florida then at SC. My question is this. Can we afford to give WM another go at DC?

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

It wasn't that long ago when AU hired Muschamp for the DC job to replace Ellis Johnson. About 2 or 3 years later, our defense got even worse and Will was fired. He later became HC Florida then at SC. My question is this. Can we afford to give WM another go at DC?

On what planet did that happen?

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

According to? I believe you, just curious.

I know as a guy who mostly played defense it can be upsetting when you are playing well and the offense doesn't take advantage of field position/turnover/momentum

12 minutes ago, woodford said:

Go on

I have no insider knowledge, this has just been stated by a couple of other forum members with insider knowledge

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I hope he stays but our defense this year is terrible. Ellis bad. 

This is just a major rebuilding year for the D.  However, the o-line is another story and will ultimately be Malzahns downfall.

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

This is just a major rebuilding year for the D.  However, the o-line is another story and will ultimately be Malzahns downfall.

Well I agree with that. 100% the offensive line is and will be his downfall.

But since we were talking about steele, his defense is terrible. They are not in position. They just do not look good out there. 
Gus deserves all of the heat he can get for the offense and the team in general. Recruiting especially. But steele deserves some heat for this defense. These are his players. 

1 hour ago, The Freak said:

Time for another Muschamp booty call?

Yes please. He's got to be one of the very few coaches to coach at AU and not get fired by AU. He even did it twice!

29 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Well I agree with that. 100% the offensive line is and will be his downfall.

But since we were talking about steele, his defense is terrible. They are not in position. They just do not look good out there. 
Gus deserves all of the heat he can get for the offense and the team in general. Recruiting especially. But steele deserves some heat for this defense. These are his players. 

To be fair as the highest paid coordinator in college football it does fall on Steele.

A4E never lets me down

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope he stays at least 3 more years. Steele's been coaching at top tier programs for so long that we have a good data set for predicting his cycle at a program. He has a work up period of a year or two with his new team followed by general brilliance and occasional legendarily horrible performances for 4-5 years. His player talent level then becomes less impressive  (he always has had some NFL caliber talent to work with however) and he moves on. I think and hope we're his last stop. If Swinney loses to Bama he'll go there when Saban reitres in 5 years and Venables will come here as our DC asst HC.😁

Archived