love him or hate him lets

aubiefifty

send some prayers out for gus. many of us might not be happy with him but he does love auburn. and watching him post game last week i believe the man was hurting. can you put aside your personal feelings a few moments to try and lift him up? some of you will roll your eyes but i am dead serious. i would love to see this thread get a ton of responses to show many of us are not happy but we still wish the man well. it would be a classy thing to do.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't dislike the person at all. I just don't think he's the right guy for this program. I respect his journey. Not many people go from living in a trailer to the success he's had. 

I think if he went somewhere like Texas Tech or Tulane he would find success.

No I'm good, he falls under my blanket and prayer for all people but he's not any more special than any other coach or the many many players that he comes in contact with. The man lives a privileged life, he's not a sympathy figure. He doesn't fight a greater battle as far as uplifting the politics of the players that serve him, he stays in his lane as a football coach and he doesn't deal with anything less than any other coach does, except he has a cushion of a contract underneath him.

I pray for the players that didn't even get a chance that put their future in his hands that have nothing though

There is not one AU fan that wanted GM to fail. I was dead set against his hire, but I wanted him to succeed and prove me wrong. He is a good dude and the players seem to like him and play hard for him, but man, Gus is what Gus is. He does a good job in the discipline part of the program and that is amazing with the athletes of today. He makes 7 million per year. This is not some poor guy with a wife and 4 kids that gets fired from a $25G a year job. Gus does a lot things well, but this is a results based business and Gus has had 8 years to get the results and 8 years is enough

59 minutes ago, chizhead said:

There is not one AU fan that wanted GM to fail. I was dead set against his hire, but I wanted him to succeed and prove me wrong. He is a good dude and the players seem to like him and play hard for him, but man, Gus is what Gus is. He does a good job in the discipline part of the program and that is amazing with the athletes of today. He makes 7 million per year. This is not some poor guy with a wife and 4 kids that gets fired from a $25G a year job. Gus does a lot things well, but this is a results based business and Gus has had 8 years to get the results and 8 years is enough

i did not mention anything other than sending a prayer out to gus. nothing more. he was plainly hurting after the ironbowl. the man is a coach and wants to excel and he is not. i did not know that people with money did not qualify for prayers. gosh i may have to rethink Christianity now. almost a hundred and fifty people have read this post and yet only a handful have thrown a prayer out there. this is not a keep gus thread this is a lift the man up thread. just wow at some of you.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

send some prayers out for gus. many of us might not be happy with him but he does love auburn. and watching him post game last week i believe the man was hurting. can you put aside your personal feelings a few moments to try and lift him up? some of you will roll your eyes but i am dead serious. i would love to see this thread get a ton of responses to show many of us are not happy but we still wish the man well. it would be a classy thing to do.

I am confused by this? What are we sending prayers for? Because he loss a football game ?

Just now, DAG said:

I am confused by this? What are we sending prayers for? Because he loss a football game ?

if you guys think a loss to your arch rival does not hurt i do not know what to say. watch him for a minute or two on his post game interview and it is plain as day. he loves auburn and he is failing and he knows it. because he knows his days are numbered. by why are we discussing who deserves prayer and who does not dag? i just do not get it.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

if you guys think a loss to your arch rival does not hurt i do not know what to say. watch him for a minute or two on his post game interview and it is plain as day. he loves auburn and he is failing and he knows it. because he knows his days are numbered. by why are we discussing who deserves prayer and who does not dag? i just do not get it.

Well you just said send prayers for him and I am asking why does he need prayers at the moment? You never clarified anything . What are we praying for ? And what does the responses of this thread have to do with Christianity?

The narrative is CGM doesn’t care about winning so how could he be hurting? Of course that’s bull, but that’s the narrative.

dag as one of my fav posters you disappoint me.as for the rest i am not getting into a dog fight over prayer.

Well I am about to disappoint more people . I don’t play about this Christianity thing. 

1. I can empathize with anyone who felt like they failed in regards to last week game. From fans to players to coaches 

2. I am not going to sympathize for a coach who legit has a very good life. PERSPECTIVE. As much as we love football, there is much more bigger things than that going on right now. Now I will sympathize with the fan who can’t make ends meet, who might have a compromising condition or who does not seem to have any faith on how they are going to make it the next day. If losing a game is the biggest worry most of us have , then consider ourselves blessed and lucky.

3. Don’t dare tie Christianity into football results or the reactions to fans. 

28 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

What a ridiculous thing to pray for.  There are so many more important things to pray for than Gus not feeling sad he lost a game. 

His chitty coaching causes a lot of fans and alumni to hurt.  Is he praying for you?  He should be praying that God gives him  some competence.   

He should hurt.  He sucks money from Auburn to suck at coaching.   He should hurt.  He should be humiliated that he is such an incompetent coach.   Screw his feelings. He should hurt..  He isn't payed to feel good after a loss.   He isn't payed to feel good at all.   He is payed an obscene amount  of money to  win football games and he is not doing that. his little feeling are hurt because of his own incompetence.   If anything start praying he gets fired.

40 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well I am about to disappoint more people . I don’t play about this Christianity thing. 

1. I can empathize with anyone who felt like they failed in regards to last week game. From fans to players to coaches 

2. I am not going to sympathize for a coach who legit has a very good life. PERSPECTIVE. As much as we love football, there is much more bigger things than that going on right now. Now I will sympathize with the fan who can’t make ends meet, who might have a compromising condition or who does not seem to have any faith on how they are going to make it the next day. If losing a game is the biggest worry most of us have , then consider ourselves blessed and lucky.

Well said. Gus gets $7 million a year, that’s $700,000 a game this year. I’d love for the consequence of such an epic failure at my job to be a $700k payday. I don’t hate anyone and I sure don’t hate Gus, but he knew the pressure cooker he signed up for when he agreed to be a coach in the SEC. His feelings should be hurt that he led our boys into Bryant Denny for the whipping that the world saw. He should be embarrassed, ashamed, and hurt and maybe that will help him to reflect and try to make some changes. What’s the saying? Some people just have to hit rock bottom before they change their ways?
Pray for Gus’ if he or someone in his family encounters health challenges or major life issues? Sign me up. But I’m not coming before my Father in prayer asking Him to help my team’s football coach with his feelings after losing a football game and getting paid an insane amount of money for it. Like Dag said, there are people out there struggling with real issues that need our prayers. Those people would love to to trade their problems with Gus’s.

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Well said. Gus gets $7 million a year, that’s $700,000 a game this year. I’d love for the consequence of such an epic failure at my job to be a $700k payday. I don’t hate anyone and I sure don’t hate Gus. But he knew the pressure cooker he signed up for when he agreed to be a coach in the SEC and his feelings should be hurt that he led our boys into Bryant Denny for the whipping that the world saw. He should be embarrassed, ashamed, and hurt and maybe that will help him to reflect and try to make some changes. What’s the saying? Some people just have to hit rock bottom before they change their ways?
Pray for Gus’ if he or someone in his family encounters health challenges or major life issues? Sign me up. But I’m not coming before my Father in prayer asking Him to help my team’s football coach with his feelings. Like Dag said, there are people out there struggling with real issues that need our prayers. Those people would love to to trade their problems with Gus’s.

Correct I don’t hate Gus either so when I saw this thread I was thinking holy crap what happened ?! Then I am seeing it’s based on the reaction of the iron bowl. 

That is not cool. Don’t play games with the man up stairs, using him to get a forum point across. Life is bigger than this. 

18 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

What a ridiculous thing to pray for.  There are so many more important things to pray for than Gus not feeling sad he lost a game. 

His chitty coaching causes a lot of fans and alumni to hurt.  Is he praying for you?  He should be praying that God gives him  some competence.   

He should hurt.  He sucks money from Auburn to suck at coaching.   He should hurt.  He should be humiliated that he is such an incompetent coach.   Screw his feelings. He should hurt..  He isn't payed to feel good after a loss.   He isn't payed to feel good at all.   He is payed an obscene amount  of money to  win football games and he is not doing that. his little feeling are hurt because of his own incompetence.   If anything start praying he gets fired.

Congratulations! You have typed the most mean-spirited post I've ever seen on this message board and I've been here a very, very long time.

and watching him post game last week i believe the man was hurting. 

I don't even understand this? He was hurting? He has complete control of the outcome of that game. He hires the assistants, he decides who to recruit, he controls the preparedness of the players. The guy did a piss poor job and will still be paid millions for those piss poor results. I am not going to offer sympathies for failures he caused himself.  

TBH, we get frustrated with his coaching quite often but I believe he does a lot of good Kingdom building off the field with his players. 

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i did not mention anything other than sending a prayer out to gus. nothing more. he was plainly hurting after the ironbowl. the man is a coach and wants to excel and he is not. i did not know that people with money did not qualify for prayers. gosh i may have to rethink Christianity now. almost a hundred and fifty people have read this post and yet only a handful have thrown a prayer out there. this is not a keep gus thread this is a lift the man up thread. just wow at some of you.

Giving a "like" doesn't mean someone prayed anymore than not giving one means I wouldn't. I'm not sure how else you quantify others prayers. I pray that Gus is well and his family is well but I won't pray for his spirits to be lifted over a football game. We have to learn how to win and lose in life and most of us will not be rewarded as handsomely as Gus has been. God has blessed Gus with much, but health and family are at the top. He is allowed to feel badly after failing on Saturday evening. He'll learn from it as God allows that for us. It may not be a from a coaching perspective, but hopefully from a personal perspective. I wish him well. 

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

First world problems right! It’s okay though to pray for CGM, but not about losing a football game. We agree here completely.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

That's kinda sorta close to taking the Lords name in vain.

Jus' sayin'.

39 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

You got a thumbs down from Mikey on this so that's an automatic thumbs up from me.

People with money absolutely do qualify for prayers. Had he been fired and you posted to ask for prayers in regard to his future in finding another job. 100% with that. "Hurting after the Iron Bowl" is no more prayer worthy than asking for prayers for a child who gets a Game Over screen on a video game and cries.

It's not "shame on Christians" for having a clear perspective on what merits a prayer and what does not.

TROLL!!!

As a sidebar to this discussion and the implication that Gus is all hot and bothered for Auburn...

I would say I'm not convinced Gus "loves Auburn" at all.  We "love" Auburn in that we can't imagine if WE coached there that we would ever want to leave but I guarantee you if Gus were a hot commodity on the coaching market and Texas came calling with 10-11 million a year he would bolt faster than Flash when he gets behind the secondary.  

Archived