Anyone here got COVID or know close family that do?

DKW 86

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I went to an urgent care center last Wednesday with a few systems including sore throat, back spasms and constipation which had nothing to do with covid. 

They took an x-ray of my abdomen and sent me immediately to the main hospital for a CT.  I received emergency surgery that same night to remove a mass near my appendix. (Fortunately, they reattached my small intestine and saved most of my colon.)  Haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but my surgeon assumed it was cancerous. I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

Meanwhile, my 70 year-old wife got her first covid vaccination dose on Sunday.

The hospital is receiving a LOT of covid patients.  They needed to move me once to make more space for them.

Hope the recovery of rapid and complete.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, homersapien said:

I went to an urgent care center last Wednesday with a few systems including sore throat, back spasms and constipation which had nothing to do with covid. 

They took an x-ray of my abdomen and sent me immediately to the main hospital for a CT.  I received emergency surgery that same night to remove a mass near my appendix. (Fortunately, they reattached my small intestine and saved most of my colon.)  Haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but my surgeon assumed it was cancerous. I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

The hospital is receiving a LOT of covid patients.  They needed to move me once to make more space for them.

I'm glad they caught it but wish it hadn't happened. Godspeed homer. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Thinking about you, my dude. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

I know you are a fighter so the cancer doesn’t stand a chance.  Fight on.

On 1/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, AuMarine said:

I tested positive last week. Wife is negative. Symptoms have been like a head cold.. no fever.. no coughing. A lot of congestion and head aches, weakness.. oxygen levels are fine. Will be tested again later this week. 

glad you are ok for the most part. my 82 year old neighbor got it and is fine believe it or not. and she never gets sick.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, jptiger said:

My wife tested positive Sunday and I started experiencing symptoms Monday. So far mild fever, dull headache and a little fatigue for both of us. Taste coming and going. My son hasn’t had any symptoms. Appreciate all the info on this thread. Prayers would be appreciated. 

you got them from this old geezer!

6 hours ago, AUDub said:

Sorry to hear that Homer, but glad they caught it early.

They discussed anything with regard to chemo yet pending results of the pathology report or are they assuming they got all of it and instituting heavy monitoring? They planning to check your lymph nodes? 

Nope.  But I have a follow-up appointment on Monday at the surgeon's office.

On 1/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, I_M4_AU said:

I know you are a fighter so the cancer doesn’t stand a chance.  Fight on.

Yeah, I guess so.  When I was starting to come out of the anesthesia - but not fully awake - I pulled my NG tube out.  I remember thinking at the time, hell, the operations over - I don't need this damn thing. :rolleyes:

Of course, this just meant they had to reinsert a fresh one - while I'm fully awake.  ;D

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

They took an x-ray of my abdomen and sent me immediately to the main hospital for a CT scan.  I received emergency surgery that same night to remove a mass near my appendix. (Fortunately, they reattached my small intestine and saved most of my colon.)  Haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but my surgeon assumed it was cancerous. I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

(Oh and I tested negative for covid.)  Meanwhile, my 70 year-old wife got her first covid vaccination dose on Sunday.

Sorry to hear this, but I am glad they caught it and hopefully it was early enough. 

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

They took an x-ray of my abdomen and sent me immediately to the main hospital for a CT scan.  I received emergency surgery that same night to remove a mass near my appendix. (Fortunately, they reattached my small intestine and saved most of my colon.)  Haven't gotten the pathology report yet, but my surgeon assumed it was cancerous. I was very, very lucky to have discovered this. I got back home yesterday and am recovering nicely. 

(Oh and I tested negative for covid.)  Meanwhile, my 70 year-old wife got her first covid vaccination dose on Sunday.

Glad to hear things went about as well as they could have.   Hope you have a fast & full recovery.  

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

Hope all goes well and that you get a positive report Brother Homer. Be thinking of you....

Nope.  But I have a follow-up appointment on Monday at the surgeon's office.

Well the good news here is that your prognosis is good given what you've been told so far (I'm sure you've researched by now), uncomfortable as you may be right now with part of your colon missing.

Keep us up to date. 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, homersapien said:

Yeah, I guess so.  When I was starting to come out of the anesthesia - but not fully awake - I pulled my NG tube out.  I remember thinking at the time, hell, the operations over - I don't need this damn thing. :rolleyes:

Of course, this just meant they had to reinsert a fresh one, while I'm fully awake.  ;D

Glad you are doing well, homer!

I had my 2nd Covid vaccine yesterday. It cause about the same amount of shoulder pain (feels kike a bruise) and maybe a little more aching and muscle soreness. I feel fine now.

I am fully recovered except I can’t smell. I got sick on 26 th back to work on 7 th. Still have a coworker out since 23 rd home on oxygen. There are 9 people in my immediate work department. 6 of us were positive. All symptomatic. They had to bring people in from the opposite shift to cover. Only one wife got sick no kids. We have strict mask, distancing polices plexiglass everywhere. Nobody wears masks at home. I was around 70 people in 4 different places 24 and 25th. Nobody else was sick although several got tested. So much don’t make sense. I just hope the older folks and the vulnerable get vaccinated ASAP. The rest of us are handling it.  
     And Trump should have appointed Chick-fil-A to administer the vaccine before he left office. ( and pardoned The Tiger King). 

On 1/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, homersapien said:

Of course, this just meant they had to reinsert a fresh one, while I'm fully awake.  ;D

Scarier than it sounds, for those not familiar with it. Having an NG inserted not fun, especially while aware of it.

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

Scarier than it sounds, for those not familiar with it. Having an NG inserted not fun, especially while aware of it.

Yeah, my nurse was a little intimidated about doing it and brought in a more experienced nurse to train her. (I assisted by swallowing at the right time.)

The NG was the worst thing about the whole experience.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, my nurse was a little intimidated about doing it and brought in a more experienced nurse to train her. (I assisted by swallowing at the right time.)

We have a family friend whose 6 year old is afflicted with Medulloblastoma and often requires an NG for nutrition during cycles. She's gotten close to being a pro about it but you can only imagine how difficult it would be for a little girl that age.

17 hours ago, AUDub said:

I had a stomach ulcer about a year and a half ago and had to go to the ER because it started to bleed and they had to insert a NG tube to check for blood in it. I had to do it wide awake and aware. They numbed my nose slightly with just a little bit of lidocaine. 

It absolutely was horrible!!! 

On 1/19/2021 at 8:59 AM, homersapien said:

I just saw this, Homey.  I'm am so happy that it was discovered and taken care of quickly. I hope you continue to recover without complications. Best wishes.

i have seen three more folks die this week from covid. a drummer, the singer from hotel, and an old friends brother and law who was a saint and pretty healthy. and now i have friends dealing with some kind of lingering effects after the virus is over. people with headaches and heart and lung issues. last week they buried a close friend that was a monster on guitar. it took a little over two months to kill him. it hurts me he is gone and it hurts me he suffered so much.

Archived