Fire Gus

TitanTiger

He got what he wanted in security and money. Jacob's made sure of that. Now his ego won't let him see he is not successful or capable. If the powers that be don't do something we have lost generations now and in the future. His offense looks slow motion and predictable to all SEC.

I love Auburn but I have never felt this frustrated or powerless and hopeless.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I heard a couple people today who have thought about this way more than me bring up some good points.

1) If Auburn does make the move its got to be a winner.  With as strong as LSU, Bama, UGA, and TaMu are on the recruiting trail and the emergence of Florida you have to hire someone who can compete with that.  If you bring in someone who struggles then its very possible that it could get worse and set Auburn back ala Tennessee or Florida State.  The payout Auburn would have to pay along with what they'd have to spend on the new staff plus the deficit the Athletic Department will run this year will mean whoever the next guy is will probably be untouchable for several years win or lose.

2) Its not guaranteed Auburn gets who it wants.  There could be other high profile openings that come available and I'm sure they would be going after the Cristobals and Freezes as well.  That goes back to #1 and Auburn ends up worse than it is now.  Also there's no guarantee that the coach we want is going to be successful at Auburn.  Hermann is an example of the flavor of the week when he was hired by Texas and he's done nothing.  Freeze wasn't setting the world on fire his last year or two at Ole Miss.  Cristobal has had an improving record at Oregon but he's had some head scratchers too.  

Auburn has to be very calculated if they make a move

There's always risk involved, no debating that, but when it comes to recruiting, Gus has so much baggage it is fairly easy to recruit against him if you are a top program.  All they have to do is pull out the yearly NFL assessments of Auburn offensive guys and the lack of understanding of basic football concepts.   That one is really tough to overcome.  

In addition, like Chizik, Gus doesn't always relate well with recruits, his enthusiasm for a recruit seems fabricated, or forced.  He just hasn't evolved that aspect to the level it needs to be an elite closer.  Which is what makes a HC valuable in recruiting.  Ogeron couldn't coach a successful middle school team if he were the X's and O's guy, but he is a helluva likable guy, that will bring in top talent because recruits love him.   

I couldn't care less about a high-profile hiring.  I want a motivator of men, a charismatic guy that recruits will gravitate to, above all, a HC that isn't too arrogant to believe his way is the only way.  Most importantly, a guy that listens to his coaches and players, and trust in them.  The anti-Gus basically.

23 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Nope, can't lay this off on Jughead. This is on Leath and Harbert

Absolutely!  Jacobs didn't do any favors hiring Chizik or Leath but this ridiculous contract isn't on him

8 minutes ago, AUnMS said:

It seems like we’re moving past apathy and getting to anger.  I think that’s a good sign.

Off topic, where in Mississippi are you? I'm in Amory. 

19 minutes ago, USATiger said:

There's always risk involved, no debating that, but when it comes to recruiting, Gus has so much baggage it is fairly easy to recruit against him if you are a top program.  All they have to do is pull out the yearly NFL assessments of Auburn offensive guys and the lack of understanding of basic football concepts.   That one is really tough to overcome.  

In addition, like Chizik, Gus doesn't always relate well with recruits, his enthusiasm for a recruit seems fabricated, or forced.  He just hasn't evolved that aspect to the level it needs to be an elite closer.  Which is what makes a HC valuable in recruiting.  Ogeron couldn't coach a successful middle school team if he were the X's and O's guy, but he is a helluva likable guy, that will bring in top talent because recruits love him.   

I couldn't care less about a high-profile hiring.  I want a motivator of men, a charismatic guy that recruits will gravitate to, above all, a HC that isn't too arrogant to believe his way is the only way.  Most importantly, a guy that listens to his coaches and players, and trust in them.  The anti-Gus basically.

I like what you’re saying. Who’s your guy if you are doing the hiring (or top 3 choices)? No hedging here, we’re dealing in the theoretical, lol

1 minute ago, fredst said:

I like what you’re saying. Who’s your guy if you are doing the hiring (or top 3 choices)? No hedging here, we’re dealing in the theoretical, lol

Rhett Lashley.  

Freeze would be the obvious but I need some convincing to get on board.  Just doesn't feel right, and this nothing to do with his personal issues.

I just don't think chasing big name guys and throwing a ton of money at them is the answer.  There are great coaches that haven't been head coaches, like Dabo, but it takes a competent person doing the hiring.

My biggest fear isn't getting a new coach, it's who will actually make the decision.  Does Allen Greene have the clout to make that hire on his own?  Will the PTB, the ones ponying up the money, want their guy?  I believe that is most likely which is scary.  I'll take that over Gus but I just don't know.   If I'm looking at non-head coaches, I want an OC or an experienced O-line coach.   Those guys have the toughest job on staff trying to find 5 guys that will work as one, which ones are best at which positions.   More variables coaching O-line than any other group.   They are usually bright guys that can motivate.  If any of that makes sense.  haha

I'll marinate on it and get back with a list when I here Gus has been deleted from Auburn football

13 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Freeze would be the obvious but I need some convincing to get on board.  Just doesn't feel right, and this nothing to do with his personal issues.

I just don't think chasing big name guys and throwing a ton of money at them is the answer.  There are great coaches that haven't been head coaches, like Dabo, but it takes a competent person doing the hiring.

My biggest fear isn't getting a new coach, it's who will actually make the decision.  Does Allen Greene have the clout to make that hire on his own?  Will the PTB, the ones ponying up the money, want their guy?  I believe that is most likely which is scary.  I'll take that over Gus but I just don't know.   If I'm looking at non-head coaches, I want an OC or an experienced O-line coach.   Those guys have the toughest job on staff trying to find 5 guys that will work as one, which ones are best at which positions.   More variables coaching O-line than any other group.   They are usually bright guys that can motivate.  If any of that makes sense.  haha

I'll marinate on it and get back with a list when I here Gus has been deleted from Auburn football

HF is not the obvious

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

HF is not the obvious

haha trust me he isn't on any list of mine but that is the name that keeps popping up(no pun intended) 

He is just the hot name and who knows when the money folks start exerting their influence.  Forgive me if you are one of the money folks. 😁

1 hour ago, shabby said:

You don't get it. Im simply examining this game. Im not looking to make a statement about a coach. Thats all you. Im simply pointing out that the defense today didn't give the offense many opportunities to score. Its a product of a bend dont break philosophy which limits offensive productivity. 

More like the Defense is broken from trying to carry the team of an Offense "guru". At some point the damn breaks.

4 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

More like the Defense is broken from trying to carry the team of an Offense "guru". At some point the damn breaks.

Completely disagree. Gus should be fired clearly, but Steele’s defense is Ellis Johnson bad this year. He deserves to get heat for this. These are his players and his defense. 

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Completely disagree. Gus should be fired clearly, but Steele’ defense is Ellis Johnson bad this year. He deserves to get hear for this. These are his players and his defense. 

He is responsible but you have to remember who dictates scholly numbers on that side of the ball.  Gus wants Rodney to recruit a few blue chip guys every year.  That ain't happening, not Rodney's fault, we are just getting handled in recruiting like the D did today.   I just don't know what defense you can call, or scheme you can install to keep your undersized d lineman from getting destroyed like they did.  

Most importantly, we don't have the numbers to rotate Dlineman like in the past.  The defense held their own in the first half but you can't have the same 11 guys play spend that much time on the field and not expect them to fall apart in the 2nd half.  There is zero rotation along the line and at linebacker.  The offense had to score points.  

Fact is if you can't bring in studs that can play right away, you have to sign numbers and hope they can provide depth.

Well, I've prayed awfully hard to live long enough to see the 2nd coming ... Maybe I should have been more specific...not the 2nd coming of Doing Barfield

Archived