Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

@cole256we should start a new thread, If Cole was the football coach. Do one for the basketball as well.  That'd be some cool insight. Your staff, but I'd hire Flex and Bird for football staff. Great scheme discussions with those. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I understand that thought, but IMO it's too long to wait as far as getting your name in the hat for a new coach, especially Mario if he's about to sign an extension.

It's really not for the reasons you stated in your next sentence.

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If I google “How to be an offensive coordinator” and promise to adjust to what the defense is doing can I join too? Or is that Bird’s position? If so, I guess I can google “How to be a defensive coordinator” but it’s definitely not my first choice.

Bird is a defense guy. We'll find somewhere to put you. Hell the fact that you're smart enough to ask questionsand use common sense means you're already good enough to not waste a guys redshirt and you'd raise your hand and say isn't it dumb as hell to go back to back years under recruiting o and d line if they are literally the foundations to success 🙋🏾

51 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't think this is 100% correct. Look at what the bama's, uga's, clemsons and ohio states have that AU doesn't. Real good fits with the university and the HC's. Everyone is in unison. All pulling in the same direction. That is what AU needs to find. The "Pat Dye". It can be done. 

IMO. 

Do you have any coaches out there whom you feel would fit that bill?

9 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

@cole256we should start a new thread, If Cole was the football coach. Do one for the basketball as well.  That'd be some cool insight. Your staff, but I'd hire Flex and Bird for football staff. Great scheme discussions with those. 

That probably would be a fun and entertaining thread. I think it would be both you could learn stuff with guys like you just mentioned and we'd cut up and have fun too 

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bird is a defense guy. We'll find somewhere to put you. Hell the fact that you're smart enough to ask questionsand use common sense means you're already good enough to not waste a guys redshirt and you'd raise your hand and say isn't it dumb as hell to go back to back years under recruiting o and d line if they are literally the foundations to success 🙋🏾

I’ve got dibs on being the cheerleader and/or Tiger Paws sponsor.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Last day of NSD, Dec 18th- Sunday Dec. 20th is more watch worthy IMO.

I honestly think for the program it's more dangerous to fire him after signing day.  That's a bait and switch precedent and it looks awful.  Fire him Sunday, make a quick hire, and let the chips fall where they may with recruits for a year.  The bigger recruiting job may be keeping several key pieces for one more year since no one lost eligibility.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Your confidence is an honor coach! Special teams here I come!

59 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I think @augolf1716 would always have that title. No one else is old enough to beat him for Dibs 😆 

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

Shooting too low I'm sure you could make better decisions than some of the people on the current staff have

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I honestly think for the program it's more dangerous to fire him after signing day.  That's a bait and switch precedent and it looks awful.  Fire him Sunday, make a quick hire, and let the chips fall where they may with recruits for a year.  The bigger recruiting job may be keeping several key pieces for one more year since no one lost eligibility.

Really sets a bad precedent. I agree.

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Out of likes, but agree 100% 

It also lets the new coach make the decision to keep or replace some of the committed recruits he feels may or may not fit the new direction. No reason to saddle a new regime with players they may or may not want. It's also not fair to the players, let them decide if they can play under the new coach.  Who knows, maybe the new coach can convince some of our misses to hold off till February and be able to flip a few.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It also lets the new coach make the decision to keep or replace some of the committed recruits he feels may or may not fit the new direction. No reason to saddle a new regime with players they may or may not want. It's also not fair to the players, let them decide if they can play under the new coach.  Who knows, maybe the new coach can convince some of our misses to hold off till February and be able to flip a few.

If it’s Mario nothings off the table as far as recruiting goes. He could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo. 

12 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

If it’s Mario nothings off the table as far as recruiting goes. He could sell a refrigerator to an Eskimo. 

And that's probably selling him short.  He's one of the best I've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

And that's probably selling him short.  He's one of the best I've ever seen.

Not gonna lie I’ve been thinking about what our recruiting class could look like next year if he has been pulling top ten recruiting classes at a place like Oregon what he could do down South. I mean we saw it at Bama but it’d be interesting to see him go toe to toe with Saban and Kirby and win some of those battles. I’m sure it’d make the Turds and leg humpers furious that we’d be snatching top talent instead of getting leftovers like now. 

34 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Technically that’s not hard, we would use coolers to keep our beers from freezing while ice fishing, just saying. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Shooting too low I'm sure you could make better decisions than some of the people on the current staff have

You’re probably right, I’m always up for multitasking!

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I agree 100%. The rumblings are that there’s a huge powder keg down in LSU that’s about to go off big time. They currently have the #4 recruiting class in the country and I don’t doubt for a second that Cristobal could reel in some of their top recruits.

3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree 100%. The rumblings are that there’s a huge powder keg down in LSU that’s about to go off big time. They currently have the #4 recruiting class in the country and I don’t doubt for a second that Cristobal could reel in some of their top recruits.

Just please let us get Cristobal before LSU becomes an open vacancy. 

Just now, AUBwins said:

Just please let us get Cristobal before LSU becomes an open vacancy. 

With what’s being said, I don’t know that they could convince a coach to take over what’s about to happen. Lack of institutional control type stuff.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't think this is 100% correct. Look at what the bama's, uga's, clemsons and ohio states have that AU doesn't. Real good fits with the university and the HC's. Everyone is in unison. All pulling in the same direction. That is what AU needs to find. The "Pat Dye". It can be done. 

IMO. 

I didn't say there are ZERO coaches capable of meeting high expectations. Bama, Clemson, and Ohio State certainly seem to have found them (UGA maybe. Georgia fans, unreasonable as they are, seem to be rapidly losing patience with Bowl Cut). I simply meant that there are more programs aspiring to that level of success than there are coaches that can take them there. Everyone's chasing the same thing. I point this out because I'm really tired of this argument that Auburn has stuck with Gus because "our standards aren't high enough". Our standards and expectations are as high as everyone else chasing consistent success. Have we stuck with Gus longer than we probably should have? Absolutely but a big part of the reason we've done so is because, as INCREDIBLY frustrating as Gus is, there aren't a ton of guys out there who are both head and shoulders better than him AND willing and able to come here. 

Having said all of that, I'm not a Gus apologist. I think his time here has run its course and arguably ran its course two or three years ago. We need someone new. I think it can be done (hell, if we can bring Bruce Pearl here and get a Final Four appearance out of the basketball team, we can ABSOLUTELY find a decent football coach). 

The elite recruiting programs look like they'll all stay that way with two exceptions: Auburn (currently 43rd) Florida State (currently 34th) Both have averaged just inside the Top 10 since 2012. Immensely disappointing for both program unless something changes.

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Someone on Facebook says they heard Gus is getting fired Monday. Just posting what I read 

Was it Allen Greene commenting to a Josh Moon blog?

Archived