Insiders Hearing Anything? (Threads Merged)

AUght2win

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, wildlife alumni said:

It did when I screen shot it.

Literally anyone can go on wikipedia and edit stuff

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think there's ever been any question about who Gus is as a man. Just wish the results on the field translates better than they have. It's a tough business. Glad his players are standing up for him. I think that bodes well for the future, actually.

I may get blasted for saying this because there is no comparison between Gus and Mike Price's character but I remember Brodie Croyle and other players standing in support of Price and he wasn't even there but a few months. And that was a really bad situation there. It's what I'd expect our players to do at this point. I'm glad they love Gus but they'll love being more competitive too. It had to happen. 

Yo I'm dead serious, people are FIRED UP about my Chip Kelly comment. Can anyone elaborate on why? Maybe his time in the NFL turned some people off. But lots of elite college coaches bombed in the pros, only to return to their winning ways again at the college level (Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, etc.).

Maybe he really is past his expiration date. Or maybe he's a proven college coach who is unjustly forgotten because he is slowly building up a basketball school's football team. 

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on why they'd pick a guy like Napier or even Cristobal over Chip Kelly.

12 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Yo I'm dead serious, people are FIRED UP about my Chip Kelly comment. Can anyone elaborate on why? Maybe his time in the NFL turned some people off. But lots of elite college coaches bombed in the pros, only to return to their winning ways again at the college level (Saban, Spurrier, Holtz, etc.).

Maybe he really is past his expiration date. Or maybe he's a proven college coach who is unjustly forgotten because he is slowly building up a basketball school's football team. 

I'd like to hear people's thoughts on why they'd pick a guy like Napier or even Cristobal over Chip Kelly.

Because multiple players at Philly have alluded to racism and very odd tendencies while he was at the Eagles. That’s why I wouldn’t want him. 

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He has struggled at UCLA and has not recruited very well, either.  To me he is a bit like Gus and he hasn’t evolved with the game to some extent.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

He has struggled at UCLA and has not recruited very well, either.  To me he is a bit like Gus and he hasn’t evolved with the game to some extent.

He's actually a lazy recruiter

11 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Because multiple players at Philly have alluded to racism and very odd tendencies while he was at the Eagles. That’s why I wouldn’t want him. 

Never heard that. Yeah, that's a no-no if true.

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Chip sucks and Chip cant recruit

what does Chip do 

15 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

yeah hes a complete weirdo. havent heard about racism but I wouldnt be surprised. A completely pretentious dick...which isnt bad if you weren't terrible 

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He's actually a lazy recruiter

If that's true then also a no-no. But I look at his transformation of Oregon and how dominant they were. 

46-7 with four straight BCS bowls. That has NEVER happened in Eugene. They were historically a doormat. 

It looks like, aside from his first season, he always had top 15 classes. 

3 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Chip sucks and Chip cant recruit

what does Chip do 

46-7 in college with 4 straight BCS bowls in 4 years at Oregon. Currently resucitating a basketball school's football program. 

Biggest concern with Chip would be a personality misfit, in my opinion. Dude can absolutely coach at this level, and UCLA will be a machine within a year or two - mark my words.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

If that's true then also a no-no. But I look at his transformation of Oregon and how dominant they were. 

46-7 with four straight BCS bowls. That has NEVER happened in Eugene. They were historically a doormat. 

All true and he was a great college coach who came up with a great/gimmick offense that no one had seen in college. When I say he is a lazy recruiter I am talking about today not when he was at Oregon

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I think  the athletic shoe guy has been helping with recruiting, and that makes a big difference. I think Gus could do good work with good recruiters (with the occasional brain fart or two each season), but he isn't bringing in recruits, now, and he isn't apparently getting them coached up. I think we need an empire builder at HC, someone who can recruit, coordinate and demand attention to detail, then we need that person to hire some GREAT coordinators.

3 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I think  the athletic shoe guy has been helping with recruiting, and that makes a big difference. I think Gus could do good work with good recruiters (with the occasional brain fart or two each season), but he isn't bringing in recruits, now, and he isn't apparently getting them coached up. I think we need an empire builder at HC, someone who can recruit, coordinate and demand attention to detail, then we need that person to hire some GREAT coordinators.

Gus recruited stars, but he didn't recruit need. He put low priority on recruiting lines. The PTB basically had to bring in Muschamp to recruit a defense, we were so inept on that side of the ball. We recruited small receivers, small running backs, high star TEs that rarely saw the field... Malzahn didn't know how to build a team. We need someone who can recruit talent AND need...not just siphon off the high stars none of the big programs are recruiting. 

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Gus recruited stars, but he didn't recruit need. He put low priority on recruiting lines. The PTB basically had to bring in Muschamp to recruit a defense, we were so inept on that side of the ball. We recruited small receivers, small running backs, high star TEs that rarely saw the field... Malzahn didn't know how to build a team. We need someone who can recruit talent AND need...not just siphon off the high stars none of the big programs are recruiting. 

This all day. With some exceptions, Gus got most of his 4 star talent that Bama, GA, Clemson, passed on because they recruited someone just a little better, or were a better fit. It wasn't always lack of player development as much as it was lack of evaluation, or players who were probably a little overrated. Just my humble opinion.

8 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

I agree.  I've felt for a few years that we were working the system. We had decently ranked recruiting classes, but they didn't always meet our needs and seemed to sometimes rely on guys who were possibly overly highly ranked, or not didn't fit our system.

Archived