The American Stimulus, where are we at?

DKW 86

I think everyone should know by now that the American Stimulus is not coming.

The $500BN is only for Big Businesses, not the American Public.
As of yesterday, "there were no serious discussions about a stimulus to include the American public."

If you hear talk of a $900BN Stimulus, for get it. it is probably dead. 
What happened to the $2BN Stimulus that we were talking about before the Election? COMPLETELY DEAD. 

The $500BN Stimulus has a liability clause inserted for politicians and social media. That seems to be the underlying focal point these days. Before the Election, Trump wanted it tossed. Pelosi and the Democrats demanded it be in there. Pelosi always the Political Animal, was not going to allow a check going to the American People with his name on it. She has joyfully told everyone "that is not going to happen."

So, Big Business gets rewarded for campaign contributions and politicians and social media orgs get liability coverage.
The American People get Nothing. 

Well they will get a stimulus check after biden is in office. After Biden is in office, the foreclosure and eviction suspensions will have gone away for months. the Cares Act ends 12-31-20. UNEMPLOYMENT EXTENSION AND EVICTION provisions run out at the end of the year. No one is even talking about this in DC. In fact Pelosi is daring you to even ask her about it. 
They are far more worried about govt funding bill that they have also refused to finalize. 

So, will we get a stimulus? Maybe, but it will be months after the Cares Act runs out and it will be timed so that any benefit will go to Biden, after he assumes office. 
I ask you, Trump is already out of office, why worry about the political optics of this? Are you so ate up in TDS that you would risk crashing the economy, ending 10,000s of businesses, and possibly millions losing their homes? 

The journalist asking the question is ManuRaju of CNN so I have to tip my hat to him and CNN. They actually have taken to standing up and challenging Pelosi on this. Last month, Blitzer went after her on this same subject.

if that is true then nancy is on my sh*t list. she is putting political bullcrap over the good of the american people. and i read i think on yahoo that as bad as it is now the day after christmas is really going to be tough because the unemployment help stops for everyone.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

if that is true then nancy is on my sh*t list. she is putting political bullcrap over the good of the american people. and i read i think on yahoo that as bad as it is now the day after christmas is really going to be tough because the unemployment help stops for everyone.

Unemployment and Eviction protection is all gone New Years Day. 

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

An epiphany. Progress. 👍

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

It pretty much is true. This is on par for her. She wanted 2.2T and rejected 1.8T and now she may have to settle for 900B. That must be the art of the deal!!! 

An suddenly DC wakes up and at least talks about stimulus checks. Now, imho, $600 is spit in the ocean. 

All this gamesmanship just shows that no one in DC gives a damn about average Americans. 

16 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

This thread outlines what has always been the objection to the Senate bill:

6 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

This thread outlines what has always been the objection to the Senate bill:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/08/bernie-sanders-admits-democrats-stalled-covid-19-relief/

Bernie Sanders admits that Pelosi could have had 1.8 Trillion Bill that included $1,200.00 for families because she didn't want Trump to have a victory but now thinks 900 Billion that does not include family relief is ok. So who is the Grinch that stole Christmas. Where was Rep. Katie Porter and why didn't she go public against Pelosi.  Oh I remember the Democratic party line Nancy is wonderful and does no wrong.  That money could have been in our families hands in November.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/08/bernie-sanders-admits-democrats-stalled-covid-19-relief/

Bernie Sanders admits that Pelosi could have had 1.8 Trillion Bill that included $1,200.00 for families because she didn't want Trump to have a victory but now thinks 900 Billion that does not include family relief is ok. So who is the Grinch that stole Christmas. Where was Rep. Katie Porter and why didn't she go public against Pelosi.  Oh I remember the Democratic party line Nancy is wonderful and does no wrong.  That money could have been in our families hands in November.

Her objection has been to Mitch’s insistence on providing broad legal immunity to businesses. If you actually followed the news, you would know that. You’re just in it in between wrestling matches.

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Her objection has been to Mitch’s insistence on providing broad legal immunity to businesses. If you actually followed the news, you would know that. You’re just in it in between wrestling matches.

Her objection has stopped families from getting any relief even Bernie Sanders admits it. The 900 Billion is only to help businesses not people but she is ok with that. Bernie said her real objection was giving Trump a victory.  Bernie like his views or not (Most of the time I don't) says what he believes. Pelosi like McConnell on the Republican side is a politician first and her aim was to hurt Trump and help Biden even if it hurt the American people which it did.

You have a problem admitting that Pelosi plays politics sometimes at the expense of the American people.

By the way the immunity is not carte blanche it says as long as company taken reasonable precautions to protect employees.  Why would anybody object to that. It says reasonable based on Government guidelines and also if two different sets of guidelines as long as they have followed one of them they get immunity.  Without that immunity a lot of business that are hanging on because of Covid would go under if had to pay legal costs on top of lost income from Covid causing more American's to lose their jobs.  

Looks like they want to punt the liability to protections to the state. Which there needs to be some. Really, both sides are using this as a political tool to get what they want and not what benefits the people. Pelosi and McConnell need to go along with other lifetime pols.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

CNN or bust. :gofig:

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This is what Wolf Blitzer and Manu Raju both blew Pelosi up over. I won’t even link Dore’s take on this. It is hilarious. Goes into real detail about the liability scam that was demanded by Pelosi et al. 

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

AND the Democrats wanted to add liability coverage for office holders, hello Gov. Cuomo! 

The original Stimulus Bill was $3TN, the Dems then conceded to $2.2TN.

The Republicans keep adding crazy poison pills and the Democrats keep backing up until there is no stimulus.

EDIT to correct:

There is now two proposals:
1) $500BN, bails out Businesses, Gives People nothing.
2) $900BN, bails out Businesses, Gives People $600. Basically spit-in-the-ocean.

Anything less than 1200/2400/500 is not worth wasting time on.

• 2 weeks later...

The Republican Party goes thermonuclear in its ignoring of the American People. 
How does anyone with a heart defend this? Some benefits end 12-26-20, that's two days from now. 

House Republicans Block $2,000 Coronavirus Stimulus Checks, Defying Trump

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/covid-stimulus-checks-house-vote_n_5fe3fb8dc5b6acb53456c949

House Republicans defied President Donald Trump’s wishes on Christmas Eve, blocking the passage of a proposal to include $2,000 stimulus checks — something the president demanded in an angry video posted to Twitter on Tuesday night while threatening to upend months of negotiations over government funding and coronavirus relief.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) dared Republicans to object to Trump’s call for bigger direct payments, something Democrats have been arguing in favor of for months, by putting up a clean bill for $2,000 stimulus checks on the House floor, while most lawmakers weren’t in town, and trying to pass it via unanimous consent.

In what was less than a minute of action on the House floor, Rep. Rob Wittman (R-Va.) rejected the unanimous consent attempt, as Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) said Republicans would do.

McCarthy put out a letter Wednesday night calling on Pelosi to reopen negotiations on government spending and the COVID-19 relief bill. Pelosi has scheduled for another round of votes on Monday, Dec. 28, when lawmakers are expected to come back to town.

Congress had passed — with overwhelming majorities in the House and Senate — a $900 billion coronavirus relief package Monday, alongside a $1.4 trillion government spending bill meant to fund federal agencies for a whole year. Trump was said to have been on board with the proposal, which extended an additional $300 per week in unemployment benefits for roughly three more months and approved a round of $600 checks to Americans making less than $75,000.

But on Tuesday, Trump released a video threatening to veto the legislation altogether, risking a government shutdown and leaving 12 million unemployed Americans in the lurch as federal programs for the jobless expire Dec. 26. 

Archived