Greg Sankey to Make "Significant Announcement" at 5:00 PM Update: SEC Leaving CBS?

Zeek

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I can't wait to not have to hear Gary's voice anymore. 

Gary started his CFB broadcasting career with ESPN. Don’t be surprised if they hire him. Broadcasters jump ship all the time. Blackledge was CBS’ color guy prior to landing at ABC. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Viper said:

Gary started his CFB broadcasting career with ESPN. Don’t be surprised if they hire him. Broadcasters jump ship all the time. Blackledge was CBS’ color guy prior to landing at ABC. 

Dog let me have this one. 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I wish the SEC would stay with CBS. Not a fan of centralization.

Thank you. Don’t care for ESPN. Announcers suck. ESPN being owned by Disney is a complete joke. They lay more people off each year than a factory does. Absolutely hate MNF on there. Too many idiots that think they are Gods. I’d love 3 minutes in a empty room w Stephen A Smith. All the wires in the dental profession could not help him speak normally again after I knuckled up with him. Most irritating idiot on all of TV. He’s just loud and ignorant. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Never hearing Gary call a bama game again would be worth the extra 62 commercials.

Amen and Hallelujah!! 

1 hour ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Prime-time Iron Bowls

Will be interesting to see what time they slot their SEC game of the week. I think it'll stay at 2:30 so ABC can continue their 7:00 prime time game.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Actually it would be add it back to SEC.

Here is a BIO of Auburn Coach Swede Umbach

https://www.ashof.org/inductees/arnold-swede-umbach/

INDUCTEESArnold William "Swede" Umbach

swede.png

CLASS OF 1991

Born: November 4, 1903 in Weatherford, Oklahoma Territory

Category: Wrestling

The son of Swedish immigrants, Umbach went on to have an illustrious coaching career at Auburn. After coaching 14 years in Oklahoma high schools, Umbach joined the football staff of his former college coach, Carl Voyles, at Auburn University in 1944. Beginning in 1946, and for the next 27 years, Umbach coached the wrestling team. He produced 25 championship teams in the Southeastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association. Umbach’s Auburn Tigers won 249 dual meets, lost only 28, and tied five. During this period, he coached 127 conference champions and four national champions. Umbach’s career was highlighted by Auburn University hosting the 1971 NCAA Wrestling Championship. An outstanding individual, Swede Umbach was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 1981.

Man that is cool history! Thanks for sharing! I learned something today. I had no idea. 

1 hour ago, Viper said:

That will be the one thing I’ll miss. That intro music is as legendary as the NBA on NBC in the 90s. 

Did you hear this music being used on whatever channel Auburn played on to start this year? It was hilarious/nostalgic to hear it without Michael Jordan on the court

I would guess the SEC already has a contract with ABC, because of the ESPN games. So the $300M figure probably includes money we already get for the ESPN games plus the contract value of the ABC aired games. In other words, I would be surprised that there is a true $245M (300-55) increase over what the SEC currently gets from CBS & ESPN combined. Maybe... but that figure sounds manipulated for PR effect.

6 hours ago, Bo Didley said:

Absolutely!
Wrestling is huge in the BIG and BiG 12 and I’m sure it would take years to compete at their level but I think adding it to the SEC would create more wrestling programs at the HS and club level across the south. I have fought to change job locations so my kids could continue to wrestle.  

Back in the day we were a powerhouse in wrestling.  I think Oklahoma was the only school with a stronger wrestling program.   I would love to see it come back to Auburn.

edit:   I see now this has already been covered.   Posted before read the next page in this thread. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Did you hear this music being used on whatever channel Auburn played on to start this year? It was hilarious/nostalgic to hear it without Michael Jordan on the court

Yes, it was used on FS1.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:00 PM, Bo Didley said:

My guess Spring sports are conference only. 

I would like to see wrestling added to the SEC! 

I second this.  Have a son who started wrestling in 7th grade and is now a senior in HS and I have truly learned to love this sport and appreciate the dedication this sport takes.  By far the toughest and most rewarding sport to watch as a parent.

Just now, AUfan_UAgrad said:

I second this.  Have a son who started wrestling in 7th grade and is now a senior in HS and I have truly learned to love this sport and appreciate the dedication this sport that it takes.  Truly the toughest and most rewarding sport to watch as a parent.

Same with us. I worked around wrestling parents prior and I really never understood what they meant until my son started in middle school. I as well found a great respect for the sport because of the difference it made in my son. Those long grinding tournaments become shared hardship with them and creates a closer bond also. Making sure they hydrate, eat , rest, stretch etc. The best part is seeing the resilience in them when the match don’t do their way. 

Archived