Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Some perspective on the 'home run' or 'slam dunk' hire argument

Current coaches in the FBS who have won a NC:

Nick Saban - 2003,2009,2011,2012,2015,2017
Jimbo Fisher - 2013
Dabo Swinney - 2016,2018
Mack Brown - 2005
Les Miles - 2007
Ed Orgeron - 2019

The idea of hiring a 'proven' coach is a bit of an exaggeration. There aren't many 'proven' coaches that are winning big at P5 schools that are on the market or can be pried away from their current school.

Texas A&M hired Jimbo away from FSU but Jimbo went 6-6 his last year at FSU. He wasn't winning big when he left. He was slipping at FSU.

A lot of the successful coaches college football coaches in the last 20 years were not 'proven'.

Jim Tressel was at Youngstown State before he was hired at Ohio State.

Pete Carrol had never been a college HC before being hired at USC. 

Bob Stoops was a DC at Florida under Spurrier when he was hired at Oklahoma. 

Urban Meyer was at Utah(Mountain West) before being hired at Florida.

Dabo Swinney was the WR's coach at Clemson under Tommy Bowden before he was promoted to HC.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Jimbo Fisher - 2013
Dabo Swinney - 2016,2018
Mack Brown - 2005
Les Miles - 2007
Ed Orgeron - 2019

The idea of hiring a 'proven' coach is a bit of an exaggeration. There aren't many 'proven' coaches that are winning big at P5 schools that are on the market or can be pried away from their current school.

Texas A&M hired Jimbo away from FSU but Jimbo went 6-6 his last year at FSU. He wasn't winning big when he left. He was slipping at FSU.

A lot of the successful coaches college football coaches in the last 20 years were not 'proven'.

Dabo Swinney was the WR's coach at Clemson under Tommy Bowden before he was promoted to HC.

Well put together! Very insightful. 

22 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Jimbo Fisher - 2013
Dabo Swinney - 2016,2018
Mack Brown - 2005
Les Miles - 2007
Ed Orgeron - 2019

I get what you are saying but should left off Tressel

His record at YSU was 135-57-2

4 1-AA National Title

I would say that was proven

Urban built winners at Bowling Green and Utah before going to Florida. Could debate if that was enough to be proven before going Power 5   

1 hour ago, Auburn Tiger said:

posting this from a Reddit thread:

amazing how even the people with connections are like "yeah....I don't think they should do that." 

Harbert, Rane, Lowder, all terrible. It's amazing how AG is probably the only person in those conversations that has a lick of sense and he's the smallest voice in the room. I don't give a damn if Harbert sold the Magna Carta to fund Auburn, firing Gus to promote a backstabbing career loser will KILL auburn. Him and his damn press coverage against day 1 NFL starters 

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

amazing how even the people with connections are like "yeah....I don't think they should do that." 

Harbert, Rane, Lowder, all terrible. It's amazing how AG is probably the only person in those conversations that has a lick of sense and he's the smallest voice in the room. I don't give a damn if Harbert sold the Magna Carta to fund Auburn, firing Gus to promote a backstabbing career loser will KILL auburn. Him and his damn press coverage against day 1 NFL starters 

I said this in many conversations over the last year with rival  friends and family. I feel for AG! I hope at the end of the day his voice of reason prevails. 

Sounds to me like Greene knows what he’s doing and the buffoon big money boys need to shut their pie holes and let the man work. Enough good ole boy networking at Auburn! We’ve had enough of that junk over the years! 

Just now, Barnacle said:

We won't have any trouble beating that. 

We better beat that. 

7 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Wonder if he’ll sign it 🤔🤔🤔

I could see him turning that down if the $7M+ per year is accurate that we offered.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I could see him turning that down if the $7M+ per year is accurate that we offered.

He probably would turn it down for 5.5 to 6mil.

Is it a lock that Oregon's trustees will even approve this? I could see the attitude of that state not being so keen on spending huge money on a coach extension during a pandemic. I could see people making it political and wrecking it.

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I think $6M for sure would get him.  But we've already put a number in front of him I'm sure.  Can't backtrack now.

I see I got beat to the punch on Crepea's tweet. Shooooot, we absolutely can and should beat that by at least a million and let him pick his staff.

Now of course, there's still other factors at play. Maybe Oregon wins and he makes the emotional decision to stay? Maybe he signs tomorrow and we're sitting on our hands this weekend... The ride's not over yet, gents...

14 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Wonder if he’ll sign it 🤔🤔🤔

Crapea?!? Oh yeah he covers the ducks now. 

Don't miss that guy

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I was thinking 5.75M.     PLUS ,  pick your own coaching staff,  and HUGE bonuses for SECCG appearance, # wins  AND  I stated if he comes to AU and brings mustache guy with him, I will grow  that mustaches,  and bonuses for  any other mark we want to reach. etc.  

Just now, Barnacle said:

At least Oregon can now say they made a good faith effort at retaining him. 

Very well may hitting the nail on the head.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Is it a lock that Oregon's trustees will even approve this? I could see the attitude of that state not being so keen on spending huge money on a coach extension during a pandemic. I could see people making it political and wrecking it.

Yes, the Oregon BOT will have a vote for approval tomorrow afternoon. It is possible I suppose that it could approved. If Phil Knight has already cut a check I think it's a matter of formality... But boy how juicy would it be if they reject 😋

Hmm, he's still behind Shaw and Kyle Wittingham. Potential to move up but that's not what I expected.

I sure hope we low balled them. 

Archived