Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He hated Gus. And I don't blame him. But I think it led to him making some poor choices about the questions he would ask players. To be fair, it's been a few years and I don't recall the specifics of how I came to think that way- on the second part; I'm certain about the first because of a specific situation at the Montgomery Quarterback Club early in Gus's tenure and the subsequent scathing article that Crepea wrote- and the years might have built it up a little extra in mind, as tends to happen. 

Oh yeah, forgot about that incident.  I know he really hated the pressers with Gus because they were always a waste of time.  Like we all ignored them for the last five years because he said the exact same thing at everyone.  Gus’ paranoia annoyed almost everybody but a couple people that we will leave nameless, lol!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Quinn wants the anyone who would be dumb enough to hire him job.

How often do the NFL guys work out?  Saban proved it in college before going to the NFL.  Same with Spurrier.  You've got shift your mentality in many ways.

Just now, JFDTiger80 said:

Loof:

I owe you for this. I have tried some of those dishes but definitely not all. My wife and I are addicted to Gochu Jang. The complex flavor is addicting. We use it at the house for chicken and hamburger dishes. We are blessed in Atl to have Buford Hwy. I call it the United Nations of Atl. I have found great Vietnamese restaurants on Bhwy, like Pho Bac but have found it complicated to figure out Korean. I will definitely try some of these. 

Hankook Taqueria towards town, Collier Road (not on BHwy) is a great very inexpensive place and made Alton Brown's best thing I ever ate list for the Bibimbap. Love breaking the over easy egg over the beef and crispy rice. So good. 

Nah JFD, you don't owe me a thing! You can tell that I get a little exuberant about this stuff. But if you don't mind sharing the details of your next amazing dinner on BuHi- any ethnicity- I'd love to read all about it. 

And if you're into Gochu Jang, then you are a man of impeccable taste and refinement and your wife is clearly a beautiful and intelligent woman, and the hit of every cocktail party she attends. 

Duuuuude, I used to work near Hankook and we'd make it there at least once a month. Those sesame fries... great got ahmighty.

United Nations of ATL- exactly! Man, that is perfect. A lot of people don't realize that the best French bread in ATL is at Vietnamese places, and that one of the best sandwiches in town is a bahn mi for less than $3. 

Seriously, please do share. I miss so much of ATL dearly and the next best thing is to enjoy it vicariously through other ATLiens. 

@Auctoritas, I think you might get some good traffic on that thread you're gonna start. 

Just now, AUDevil said:

How often do the NFL guys work out?  Saban proved it in college before going to the NFL.  Same with Spurrier.  You've got shift your mentality in many ways.

Pete Carroll did well, but then again...

Harbaugh succeeded at Stanford before the NFL, but hasn't panned out at Michigan.

I can't think of many that have started in the NFL and then made a successful move to college.  

2 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Pete Carroll did well, but then again...

Harbaugh succeeded at Stanford before the NFL, but hasn't panned out at Michigan.

I can't think of many that have started in the NFL and then made a successful move to college.  

Harbaugh hasn't been as bad at Michigan as the narrative is out there right now about him. This is his first truly bad season. In his 6 season's there he has three 10 win season's and a 9 win season. He just can't beat ohio state.

15 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Don't we all? ;)

As bad as he is and would be I would still take him over Steele if those were the only 2 options. #stopthesteele

23 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

So just some stuff I’ve seen recently, don’t know how accurate it is. If the rumors are true that UO BOT’s offer is 6 yrs $27.3 mil, Auburn should be easily able to match or beat that for Mario Cristobal. I’d give him a 6 yr $34 mil contract with ample assistant coach salary pool if I’m out BOT and make him tell us no. That would put his salary at around 5.67 mil a year which is 5th in SEC and 13 overall which would seem reasonable. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/12/university-of-oregon-board-of-trustees-to-meet-thursday-to-discuss-mario-cristobals-contract.html

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Harbaugh hasn't been as bad at Michigan as the narrative is out there right now about him. This is his first truly bad season. In his 6 season's there he has three 10 win season's and a 9 win season. He just can't beat ohio state.

Oddly, he can't seem to find a premier QB. That may have changed with this recruiting class.  I think he nabbed a 5*.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Oddly, he can't seem to find a premier QB. That may have changed with this recruiting class.  I think he nabbed a 5*.

He's as stubborn as gus too and won't evolve his offense to a modern sophisticated wide open full throttle offense. His offense is painfully boring. Looks like something he ran in the 90's with the bears hahahaha.

Just my opinioN but I don’t think we pay for MC. I think he wants to be at Oregon and they are finally trying to pay him. I think we have talked to him and can pay more but he is in a very comfortable situation where he can dominate a conference. In the end I am not even sure our committee will aggressively pursue him and we will probably look elsewhere.

While I think steele was going to be the man at first, I do think that has subsided somewhat. My hope is that we have reached out to Tony Elliott or Sark. I am not sure why but it does not seem that Billy Napier is even being considered. Also freeze is not an option it seems.

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

While I think steele was going to be the man at first

I don't think that was ever the case. Again, it's one booster pushing a narrative.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He's as stubborn as gus too and won't evolve his offense to a modern sophisticated wide open full throttle offense. His offense is painfully boring. Looks like something he ran in the 90's with the bears hahahaha.

Makes watching a Gus Offense fun.

Just now, Zeek said:

THANK YOU!

Please, please, please, folks, pay attention to this if you won't pay attention to anything else. 

Auburn is a major step up from Oregon for any coach who is serious about being at the pinnacle of his profession. 

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I really have to believe that we can do better. I would hit hard with incentives and bonuses and offer around $5.5M

We can and if we don't then I think they were never serious about getting him. Oregon came in way lower than I thought.

Just now, McLoofus said:

THANK YOU!

Please, please, please, folks, pay attention to this if you won't pay attention to anything else. 

Auburn is a major step up from Oregon for any coach who is serious about being at the pinnacle of his profession. 

But Harbert and yella fella just want a good ol boy to give them access!!!! 😭😤🙄😠😡🤬

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

We can and if we don't then I think they were never serious about getting him. Oregon came in way lower than I thought.

Bingo.

If we don't hire Mario Cristobal, it's because we chose not to. It's that simple.

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Money shouldn’t be the issue if the rumors are true regarding how much we offered 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Same here. I expected them to either offer a long term contract, or somewhere north of $5M.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Bingo.

If we don't hire Mario Cristobal, it's because we chose not to. It's that simple.

Yup! I don't think Mario will sign that extension or commit to us until after their game anyways. So now we wait.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Money shouldn’t be the issue if the rumors are true regarding how much we offered 

Also yup, though idk how much I trust that report but regardless we can beat that offer (like Pablo pointed out) it's less than Stoops and Leach are getting.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

But Harbert and yella fella just want a good ol boy to give them access!!!! 😭😤🙄😠😡🤬

True. And I suppose there's always the chance that even a great coach would be meddled right out of town.

But if a guy wants money and everything he needs to recruit, I don't think there's any real competition. Auburn > Oregon.

Not to mention Oregon's contract includes a 15% pay cut in the first year in case there are still pandemic funding issues...

Archived