Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nah JFD, you don't owe me a thing! You can tell that I get a little exuberant about this stuff. But if you don't mind sharing the details of your next amazing dinner on BuHi- any ethnicity- I'd love to read all about it. 

And if you're into Gochu Jang, then you are a man of impeccable taste and refinement and your wife is clearly a beautiful and intelligent woman, and the hit of every cocktail party she attends. 

Duuuuude, I used to work near Hankook and we'd make it there at least once a month. Those sesame fries... great got ahmighty.

United Nations of ATL- exactly! Man, that is perfect. A lot of people don't realize that the best French bread in ATL is at Vietnamese places, and that one of the best sandwiches in town is a bahn mi for less than $3. 

Seriously, please do share. I miss so much of ATL dearly and the next best thing is to enjoy it vicariously through other ATLiens. 

@Auctoritas, I think you might get some good traffic on that thread you're gonna start. 

Why am I soooo hungry?

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

THANK YOU!

Please, please, please, folks, pay attention to this if you won't pay attention to anything else. 

Auburn is a major step up from Oregon for any coach who is serious about being at the pinnacle of his profession. 

It's a major step up in dollars.  In ability to compete for a national championship?  No.

AU and UO have both played for a national title twice in the last ten years.  And UO has also won four NY6 bowl games in that span.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Money shouldn’t be the issue if the rumors are true regarding how much we offered 

Yup. They would've had to triple his salary to match what we were paying Gus. We can pay him a million less per year than Gus and still have them beat by 25% or more. It was never going to come down to money. 

I really think we should be more angry at whoever was in charge of Washington players not getting COVID than anyone else, lol.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. They would've had to triple his salary to match what we were paying Gus. We can pay him a million less per year than Gus and still have them beat by 25% or more. It was never going to come down to money. 

I really think we should be more angry at whoever was in charge of Washington players not getting COVID than anyone else, lol.

Agreed, I think we already have him here if not for the PAC12 game.

I don’t understand why someone would think the Oregon offer is low and Auburn can get Mario simply by beating it.  Once you pass a certain point what the heck are you going to do with the additional money anyway?  Most of it will go to taxes.  Of course, there is always the thought that the additional money could just be an ego thing.  If I was him staying in an easier conference with a greater chance to be successful would definitely be a consideration but that’s just me.  Then again he might like the challenge of coming to Auburn and going up against Saban and Smart every year.  If that is the case then money is not the motivator anyway.  

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

It's a major step up in dollars.  In ability to compete for a national championship?  No.

AU and UO have both played for a national title twice in the last ten years.  And UO has also won four NY6 bowl games in that span.

Look at the clowns who have been coaching here, though.

Oregon has enjoyed a crazy easy path to the dance. And while they've had a couple impressive bowl wins, they haven't actually beaten an elite team in that run. 

There are non-football reasons for him to want to stay where he is, but we give him a better chance of reaching the top of the profession. 

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Harbaugh hasn't been as bad at Michigan as the narrative is out there right now about him. This is his first truly bad season. In his 6 season's there he has three 10 win season's and a 9 win season. He just can't beat ohio state.

Idk, a 9 or 10 win season in the Big 10 seems about the equivalent of a Gus Malzahn 8 or 9 win season in the SEC. Plus always losing to Ohio State, much like how Gus couldn't beat our rivals. I can understand why they're frustrated.

2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

I don’t understand why someone would think the Oregon offer is low and Auburn can get Mario simply by beating it.  Once you pass a certain point what the heck are you going to do with the additional money anyway?  Most of it will go to taxes.  Of course, there is always the thought that the additional money could just be an ego thing.  If I was him staying in an easier conference with a greater chance to be successful would definitely be a consideration but that’s just me.  Then again he might like the challenge of coming to Auburn and going up against Saban and Smart every year.  If that is the case then money is not the motivator anyway.  

Guys like him want to compete against the best and not hide where it's easier.

Just now, caleb1633 said:

Idk, a 9 or 10 win season in the Big 10 seems about the equivalent of a Gus Malzahn 8 or 9 win season in the SEC. Plus always losing to Ohio State, much like how Gus couldn't beat our rivals. I can understand why they're frustrated.

They are frustrated because they thought he was the savior when he's just kinda meh. They are over paying the hell out of him just like we were Gus.

2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

with a greater chance to be successful

Depends on how you define success.

If you define it as beating up on soft competition every year, getting to the postseason and then either beating a decent team or losing to a great team if you get all the way to the playoffs, then cool, stay at Oregon.

If you define it as going toe to toe with the best, occasionally beating them, and having a chance at actually having the best team in the country on occasion? It's Auburn all day. 

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Being 0-7 against tOSU is pretty horrible . Add to the fact he normally drops a game he shouldn’t . Yeah not going to cut it 

Just now, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

So is the extension just an offer or has he signed to stay? Seems like money won’t be an issue. Our power brokers might be though. 

Sorry if this has been asked, catching up late this morning. 

Offered, not signed

2 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Harbaugh wasnt hired for 'solid seasons,' he was hired expressly to get M to the next level.  He hasnt done it.

Sound familiar?

Just now, Zeek said:

Guys like him want to compete against the best and not hide where it's easier.

If that’s the case then he’s probably coming to Auburn if we just make him reasonable offer.  If it’s not then he’s staying at Oregon regardless.  I don’t see the point in getting into a bidding war.  

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

But Harbert and yella fella just want a good ol boy to give them access!!!! 😭😤🙄😠😡🤬

I keep hearing this, but access to what exactly? I mean, they have enough money to have access to whatever they want down there

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Look at the clowns who have been coaching here, though.

Oregon has enjoyed a crazy easy path to the dance. And while they've had a couple impressive bowl wins, they haven't actually beaten an elite team in that run. 

There are non-football reasons for him to want to stay where he is, but we give him a better chance of reaching the top of the profession. 

Clowns?  Chip Kelly left for the freaking NFL man.

Helfrich fell off a cliff in 2016, but had a 33-8 record his first three seasons there.

And MC has proven that he can recruit top talent to UO.  His #6 class this year is currently ranked higher than Oklahoma, Florida, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M just to name a few.

He out recruited us two years ago (finished 7th, we finished 11th).

I'm sorry, but you're making a statistically bad argument.  He has proven from a recruiting standpoint that he can get top level talent there, just like we can at AU.  And his path to a national title is frankly easier at UO.

I'm not saying he won't come.  Money talks man.  I'm just saying that there is nothing inherently better about AU that gives him a better shot at making the playoff and winning the national title.

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

So is the extension just an offer or has he signed to stay? Seems like money won’t be an issue. Our power brokers might be though. 

Sorry if this has been asked, catching up late this morning. 

Not even an official offer. Their board of trustees is meeting to approve the offer today. He won't sign anything until Saturday in my opinion.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Depends on how you define success.

If you define it as beating up on soft competition every year, getting to the postseason and then either beating a decent team or losing to a great team if you get all the way to the playoffs, then cool, stay at Oregon.

If you define it as going toe to toe with the best, occasionally beating them, and having a chance at actually having the best team in the country on occasion? It's Auburn all day. 

Somebody the other day said Oregon gives him the best chance to make the playoffs. I don’t agree with that. Since the pac 12 is considered weak as hell, you have to go undefeated to be considered and even then that is risking it. Granted the SEC west is as competitive as ever , but you get an amazing benefit of a doubt. Auburn had to he opportunity to be the first two loss team to get into the playoffs. Look at the aggies ? They are sitting pretty right now. If Clemson or tOSU lose, they will be in! Two SEC teams.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Clowns?  Chip Kelly left for the freaking NFL man.

Helfrich fell off a cliff in 2016, but had a 33-8 record his first three seasons there.

And MC has proven that he can recruit top talent to UO.  His #6 class this year is currently ranked higher than Oklahoma, Florida, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M just to name a few.

He out recruited us two years ago (finished 7th, we finished 11th).

I'm sorry, but you're making a statistically bad argument.  He has proven from a recruiting standpoint that he can get top level talent there, just like we can at AU.  And his path to a national title is frankly easier at UO.

I'm not saying he won't come.  Money talks man.  I'm just saying that there is nothing inherently better about AU that gives him a better shot at making the playoff and winning the national title.

I said "here", bro.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He has proven from a recruiting standpoint that he can get top level talent there, just like we can at AU.  And his path to a national title is frankly easier at UO.

Oh, and this. First of all, no, he can't get top level talent there "just like we can". Look at the classes he puts together there and see where those kids come from. Look at what he has to do to put a class together there. Also, look at his staff and their resumes.

Now think about the staff he could put together here, and what they could accomplish in the southeast. Think about the relationships he still has in our region from his time at bama alone. It's comical what he would be capable of relative to what we're used to and what he's used to up there.

And yes, his path to a national title *game* is easy up there. But actually winning one is a much different story, as has been shown each time they've made it. Nick Fairley damned near beat them single-handedly in 2010. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I said "here", bro.

Fair.  I misread that.  Still doesn't change the recruiting numbers.  Let's say we recruit much better.  It puts us likely around #4 - #7 range, behind Bama, UGA, and Ohio State at least.

Not much difference between that and his #6 class at UO.  Point being again, there's nothing about AU being a "better" job except for money and, if you have that streak, competition against the best.

But I'd also use this example: no one looks down on Bobby Bowden nationally for avoiding the SEC and trouncing bad ACC competition for years.  Instead all they see is a legend who constantly finished in the Top 5 and won two national titles.  MC could have a similar set up at UO if he wanted it.

Archived