Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Oregon pushing hard to keep Mario. They almost certainly will offer him a deep pocketed extension. Not sure Auburn can match but the Auburn job itself should be more appealing to him. Playing against his former boss every year and competing against the football powerhouses. Something you can't do at Oregon. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And yes, his path to a national title *game* is easy up there. But actually winning one is a much different story, as has been shown each time they've made it. Nick Fairley damned near beat them single-handedly in 2010. 

This is just a ridiculous statement.  It reads as if we blew them out instead of needing a FG at the buzzer to win.

Fairly was dominant, but let's not act like UO didn't belong on the field with us.

And lest we forget, they have one more playoff win than we do and blew out Jameis Winston to do it.

2 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Oregon pushing hard to keep Mario. They almost certainly will offer him a deep pocketed extension. Not sure Auburn can match but the Auburn job itself should be more appealing to him. Playing against his former boss every year and competing against the football powerhouses. Something you can't do at Oregon. 

The numbers are already out.  Oregon is not offering a crazy amount.  Only about $4.5M per year.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, and this. First of all, no, he can't get top level talent there "just like we can". Look at the classes he puts together there and see where those kids come from. Look at what he has to do to put a class together there. Also, look at his staff and their resumes.

Now think about the staff he could put together here, and what they could accomplish in the southeast. Think about the relationships he still has in our region from his time at bama alone. It's comical what he would be capable of relative to what we're used to and what he's used to up there.

And yes, his path to a national title *game* is easy up there. But actually winning one is a much different story, as has been shown each time they've made it. Nick Fairley damned near beat them single-handedly in 2010. 

Yup, the poor guy is having to cherry pick from like 6 different states to make it happen. I don't know wtf Auburn was doing in this recruiting class (recruiting almost no one from AL or GA) but usually you can get top 15+ here just by going AL, GA, and some FL panhandle kids.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

But I'd also use this example: no one looks down on Bobby Bowden nationally for avoiding the SEC and trouncing bad ACC competition for years.  Instead all they see is a legend who constantly finished in the Top 5 and won two national titles. 

Bobby Bowden had to play Miami every year. And a very solid Va Tech program. Not sure you remember the ACC for what it was back then.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is just a ridiculous statement.  It reads as if we blew them out instead of needing a FG at the buzzer to win.

Well, maybe if you're all fired up and wanting it to read that way. The way that it was written and is correct is that our offense couldn't get in the end zone- despite racking up over 500 yards with a hurt QB- and we still won the game primarily because of one special SEC-caliber defensive lineman. 

The dude has already said he wants to come here. And that was before money was ever discussed. We're a better job. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Fairly was dominant, but let's not act like UO didn't belong on the field with us.

And lest we forget, they have one more playoff win than we do and blew out Jameis Winston to do it.

To be fair , If I remember correctly , UO was running through folks and a lot of pundits believed they were just going to light the scoreboard on us. A lot of people thought it was going to be a high scoring game. I don’t think people took into account how much line play makes a difference. It consistent repeats itself when we play Oregon. Our run defense was pretty good in 2010 if I remember correctly, but the defense as a whole gave up quite a bit of points too. Although they recruit at a high level with him, I think the caliber of recruits are quite different. 

The best want to compete against the best. I love the Pacific Northwest but the best football is in the SEC, hands down. As @DAGpointed out the PAC 12 gets little respect nationally over the last decade and because of time differences misses out on a lot of exposure. He may be thrilled with UO and want to stay there for reasons beyond money. But if he wants to consistently compete against the best and get the recognition and respect that comes with it, right now that is not in the PAC 12. Hope he wants to accept the challenges of the SEC and unique to AU

1 minute ago, DAG said:

To be fair , If I remember correctly , UO was running through folks and a lot of pundits believed they were just going to light the scoreboard on us. A lot of people thought it was going to be a high scoring game. I don’t think people took into account how much line play makes a difference. It consistent repeats itself when we play Oregon. Our run defense was pretty good in 2010 if I remember correctly, but the defense as a whole gave up quite a bit of points too. Although they recruit at a high level with him, I think the caliber of recruits are quite different. 

PAC12 ball is just different too and doesn't match up well with SEC ball. It's like rock/paper/scissors.

Their OL and DLs are built for speed and mobility. The Bamas and the UGAs are recruiting at such a level their guys have both size and speed. Even we have more of it than PAC12 schools.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup, the poor guy is having to cherry pick from like 6 different states to make it happen. I don't know wtf Auburn was doing in this recruiting class (recruiting almost no one from AL or GA) but usually you can get top 15+ here just by going AL, GA, and some FL panhandle kids.

9 states, actually. 

Just how great is the talent disparity? This is where NFL talent comes from. Auburn is 650 miles from Miami. Eugene is 650 miles from... Fresno.

23398645-standard.png

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

The best want to compete against the best. I love the Pacific Northwest but the best football is in the SEC, hands down. As @DAGpointed out the PAC 12 gets little respect nationally over the last decade and because of time differences misses out on a lot of exposure. He may be thrilled with UO and want to stay there for reasons beyond money. But if he wants to consistently compete against the best and get the recognition and respect that comes with it, right now that is not in the PAC 12. Hope he wants to accept the challenges of the SEC and unique to AU

There's also the natter of adulation.

Win at Oregon, and you're a guy. 

Win at Auburn, and you're a god. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bobby Bowden had to play Miami every year. And a very solid Va Tech program. Not sure you remember the ACC for what it was back then.

Not sure you're remembering it correctly honestly.  Miami wasn't in the ACC at the time.  They were in the Big East.  That was an annual non-conference game much like Texas/OU was for years before the formation of the Big 12.

Va Tech was solid, sure, but also played in the Big East.  They didn't join the ACC until 2004 (same year Miami did).

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The dude has already said he wants to come here. And that was before money was ever discussed. We're a better job. 

I hope he does come here.  Make no mistake about that.  I just don't think we're an inherently better gig.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

9 states, actually. 

Just how great is the talent disparity? This is where NFL talent comes from. Auburn is 650 miles from Miami. Eugene is 650 miles from... Fresno.

23398645-standard.png

Oh yeah, I forgot we've started to dip into Mississippi too.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Sadly, this is correct

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel this especially if that offer from Oregon is accurate . I am sorry but that is a joke for a guy who supposedly is the best in your conference and you are dying to keep. 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Not sure you're remembering it correctly honestly.  Miami wasn't in the ACC at the time.  They were in the Big East.  That was an annual non-conference game much like Texas/OU was for years before the formation of the Big 12.

Va Tech was solid, sure, but also played in the Big East.  They didn't join the ACC until 2004 (same year Miami did).

I hope he does come here.  Make no mistake about that.  I just don't think we're an inherently better gig.

I want to take this moment to dunk on FSU. People seem to respect that program more than they should. If you take away the Bowden years and a year or two of Jim riding that momentum they're not really great. And you want to talk about a program that won't spend? Whoooooweeeee lol.

**** FSU is my point

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's a major step up in dollars.  In ability to compete for a national championship?  No.

AU and UO have both played for a national title twice in the last ten years.  And UO has also won four NY6 bowl games in that span.

This one right here. He can reach the competition pinnacle of his profession in the PAC 12 just like he can in the SEC. I think he has a top ten class as well, so recruiting is apparently not a big issue. Only thing Auburn can offer is more money and a little bit closer to home. I guess it comes down to what is most important to him and his family. I will say Auburn’s meddling reputation probably does not help. Apparently we are without leadership in the AD department so who is he supposed to report to, Rane and the boys?

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I feel this especially if that offer from Oregon is accurate . I am sorry but that is a joke for a guy who supposedly is the best in your conference and you are dying to keep. 

4.5?    doesnt Mark Stoops make that?

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Guilty. But the conference thing doesn't really matter. For example, he had to also go through Steve Spurrier's Florida every year back then. Two top-5/top-10 matchups every year, plus plenty of matchups against good Notre Dame teams and whichever ACC teams that actually were decent any given year... it's not a good comparison. 

5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

This one right here. He can reach the competition pinnacle of his profession in the PAC 12 just like he can in the SEC. I think he has a top ten class as well, so recruiting is apparently not a big issue. Only thing Auburn can offer is more money and a little bit closer to home. I guess it comes down to what is most important to him and his family. I will say Auburn’s meddling reputation probably does not help. Apparently we are without leadership in the AD department so who is he supposed to report to, Rane and the boys?

Good luck with that . Last team to do that was USC and that was well over a decade ago. I will say if he is going t do that , he can’t be having some of the losses he has and he definitely can’t be losing to out of conference foes. 

They need to cut this s*** out. Why they keep running these articles and this narrative blows my mind. There's no way in hell Auburn chooses Steele. I'll delete my account all socials. Just refuse to believe this.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

4.5?    doesnt Mark Stoops make that?

That what I hear! That’s Kentucky football money man! Lol

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

Auburn needs to contact him and try to give him reasons to come to AU. If they don't push hard to get him, he's signing that extension. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

They need to cut this s*** out. Why they keep running these articles and this narrative blows my mind. There's no way in hell Auburn chooses Steele. I'll delete my account all socials. Just refuse to believe this.

The fans will be livid if this happens. It's like an extension of Gus. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I want to take this moment to dunk on FSU. People seem to respect that program more than they should. If you take away the Bowden years and a year or two of Jim riding that momentum they're not really great. And you want to talk about a program that won't spend? Whoooooweeeee lol.

**** FSU is my point

All correct, but @Brad_ATX was *only* talking about the Bowden years, during which they mostly took turns with Miami and Florida as being some of the best teams of all time. They cheated and they were Criminoles or whatever, but they were filthy good teams stocked with future NFL stars. I've never had any love for the program but Bobby Bowden and Florida State would have dominated the SEC- along with Florida- in the 90s. 

Archived