Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

To be fair pat forde would of done this regardless!!! Lol. Dude obsessively hates us and talks about us non stop.

He's worse than I initially thought he was.  He's evidently from Louisville so I hear him come on the sports radio out of there regularly.  His bias over our cheating scum ways are quite ridiculous. Probably one of those that were wrong about the Cam situation in 2010 that never lets it down now. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Jokes aside, I'm sure they know who he is...

However, I think that second part might be 100% true

Here's my litmus test for those two... Do they know who Cord Sandberg is? If not they shouldn't be making these decisions. What I mean by that is, if they're not invested enough to know the majority of our players they're probably not qualified to make this decision.

No.  The question you should be asking is: Who is the current starting quarterback at (pick a random Top 25 school).

I want people making this decision who watch, know, and can evaluate college football.  Knowing our team is one thing.  Do you have the acumen to know about others in order to make an informed decision?

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

They've also never recruited at the level that they are now.  MC has changed the caliber of player coming to Oregon.  Literally the best three classes of all time at UO are under his watch.  All of those guys are still mostly underclassmen.  Has to be accounted for in your analysis.

Lol, it's the main reason he's been my primary candidate for over a year. But, yes, we are comparing what is possible at each program and not arguing over what caliber of coach he is. 

Another thing to factor into the analysis is that he's still selling opportunity. He's still forming his team with his guys. It will be interesting to see if he can maintain that as there are fewer gaps in his roster.

Even still, there's one thing that we've heard over and over again- since 2010, in fact- about the difference in the SEC. And it's the defensive line. And it is literally impossible to have a great one in Eugene. Look at each of Cristobal's classes and you will see one DL class that is on par with what bama or uga pull in every year, or what even we have pulled in every other year on average the last 10 years. It's literally why they can't compete at the highest stage, and what he could improve upon here without even having to book a hotel room. In his current class, dude had to go to Arlington for a 210 3* DE to get his 2nd-highest rated DL recruit. 

And to offer a TL;DR that isn't really actually any of the above... the fact that what Cristobal is doing at Oregon is historic for them is the whole point. The fact that their greatest recruiter in history did a little better than *Gus Malzahn*??? Yeah. He's a smart fella and he likes his chances down here. 

I know it's been discussed but what's equally important is we're in the bottom 5 of facilities in the SEC and we need to be in the top 5. If that doesn't change not even Saban could get a #1 recruiting class to Auburn.

Just now, Zeek said:

I know it's been discussed but what's equally important is we're in the bottom 5 of facilities in the SEC and we need to be in the top 5. If that doesn't change not even Saban could get a #1 recruiting class to Auburn.

Are we still going to be able to build that facility?

Man, it would be nice if we hadn’t wasted all that money on a giant scoreboard.

Just now, AUwent said:

Are we still going to be able to build that facility?

Man, it would be nice if we hadn’t wasted all that money on a giant scoreboard.

Yeah the scoreboard feels tacky in hindsight.

The football facility will happen regardless. They're far enough along in the process. The problem is, since we haven't seen any 3d mockups yet, it's still multiple years out from being finished.

Just now, Zeek said:

Yeah the scoreboard feels tacky in hindsight.

The football facility will happen regardless. They're far enough along in the process. The problem is, since we haven't seen any 3d mockups yet, it's still multiple years out from being finished.

2022 seems to be the target.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's worse. Gus never had a losing season. Steele has never won more than THREE WINS as a head coach.

I wish people would stop using this as the reason they don't want him as a coach. His experience as a HC 18 years ago in the armpit of the Big 12 means absolutely nothing as it pertains to what he *could* do at AU. In a way, I kind of wonder if they are giving him an audition with the bowl game. 

That being said, I don't want him as HC for other reasons. The primary one.. it makes zero sense to replace Gus with anyone on staff at all when there are so many talented coaches that would love their shot with AU. Additionally, next year there will most certainly be more openings at higher profile schools and AU will have likely missed their shot at someone. 

The way everyone has completely s*** on Steele, if I were him I'd be begging the next coach to keep me on staff just so I could throw games to s*** on the fanbase all of next year. He deserves better than that hashtag that was trending yesterday. That should have been directed at the BOT/PTB, not Steele. 

Just now, drewzums343 said:

I can name like 10 other coaches who would be better options than steele

Have we named Steele the coach or has anyone in an official position said that Steele has even been interviewed?

We are FOUR days into the official search for a new coach and the replacement might have already been named if it hadn’t been for Oregon being placed in the PAC Championship. All we’ve heard so far is “take this with a grain of salt” type info, nothing official. When we start entering Tennessee-level coaching searches, then we can say we’ve officially screwed this thing up. I’m ready for a great replacement to be named today, but I’m not going to start calling this a clown show search until I start seeing reports of things that have been verified to have happened.

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

He's worse than I initially thought he was.  He's evidently from Louisville so I hear him come on the sports radio out of there regularly.  His bias over our cheating scum ways are quite ridiculous. Probably one of those that were wrong about the Cam situation in 2010 that never lets it down now. 

Ding ding!!! He never let 2010 go brother!!

19 minutes ago, Trakem said:

Well, cornpone did choose ACC over SEC at the first expansion.  Probably worked out better for them.

I'm sure a lot of things went into that decision other than having to face tougher football competition. Could be wrong, though. And like you said, it was the right choice for them back then. (Not sure if it still looks that way for them now.) 

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No.  The question you should be asking is: Who is the current starting quarterback at (pick a random Top 25 school).

I want people making this decision who watch, know, and can evaluate college football.  Knowing our team is one thing.  Do you have the acumen to know about others in order to make an informed decision?

Absolutely.

Gonna make some eyes roll, but I'd rather have the playoff committee as our advisory board than a bunch of in-house GOBs. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I'm sure a lot of things went into that decision other than having to face tougher football competition. Could be wrong, though. And like you said, it was the right choice for them back then. (Not sure if it still looks that way for them now.) 

FSU WINNING IN SEC WOULD BE 'TOO DIFFICULT'

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/bobby-bowden-fsu-winning-in-sec-would-be-too-difficult

is there any buzz about vetting Napier or Sark?

Wish list:  

• I wish there was a viable NFL guy on this list ( ala Mike Tomlin or similar) 
  • I wish  Washington had not bailed on their game....crazy they couldn't cobble together a team

11 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

so I could throw games to s*** on the fanbase all of next year

I wasn’t a fan of the tweeting either but that is some ridiculous logic right there bro. 

Just now, WinstonMcFlurry said:

So is this extension it for Cristobal? 

Has to sign it, this was just the details of the extension and the BOT approving it

Archived