Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

4qqnvu.jpg

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

So is this extension it for Cristobal? 

Do you mean "it" as in he's no longer a candidate? No. He hasn't signed it yet, and we would definitely offer him more if we were to pursue him. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I wasn’t a fan of the tweeting either but that is some ridiculous logic right there bro. 

Obviously I'm stretching, and Steele is too good of a person to do something like that. I'm just saying he should be appreciated for the work he's put in for the Defense. Somehow, social media turned HIM into the villain and not the decision makers doing the hiring. I'm sure he feels some type of way about that. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

😂😂

Do we know if that is the AU jet? Man Tom Allen is a good coach- no way to know if he would succeed here but I'd be good with this. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Has to sign it, this was just the details of the extension and the BOT approving it

I guess things aren't as hidden there, in the SEC if there was a "meeting" on an extension you damn well know the signature was already there.  

Just now, Browning4AU said:

Obviously I'm stretching, and Steele is too good of a person to do something like that. I'm just saying he should be appreciated for the work he's put in for the Defense. Somehow, social media turned HIM into the villain and not the decision makers during the hiring. I'm sure he feels some type of way about that. 

Yeah he definitely shouldn’t be the villain and I think if he wants to coach he should get an interview like the rest. I guess my frustration comes from feeling like this was all in the works behind the scenes . Like some good ole boy stuff. But definitely shouldn’t be directed at him, however the message is loud and clear. He is not wanted as a HC here from the fan base at least.

2 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Do we know if that is the AU jet? Man Tom Allen is a good coach- no way to know if he would succeed here but I'd be good with this. 

Big ten is a coaches league. Sec is a recruiters league. I think he would be engulfed by the cutthroat sec crutin. Damn good coach though. Indiana is a terrible job.

9 minutes ago, AUwent said:

2022 seems to be the target.

That's horrendous.

10 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I wish people would stop using this as the reason they don't want him as a coach. His experience as a HC 18 years ago in the armpit of the Big 12 means absolutely nothing as it pertains to what he *could* do at AU. In a way, I kind of wonder if they are giving him an audition with the bowl game. 

That being said, I don't want him as HC for other reasons. The primary one.. it makes zero sense to replace Gus with anyone on staff at all when there are so many talented coaches that would love their shot with AU. Additionally, next year there will most certainly be more openings at higher profile schools and AU will have likely missed their shot at someone. 

The way everyone has completely s*** on Steele, if I were him I'd be begging the next coach to keep me on staff just so I could throw games to s*** on the fanbase all of next year. He deserves better than that hashtag that was trending yesterday. That should have been directed at the BOT/PTB, not Steele. 

1. It's a pretty good measurement of him as a head coach. Why even risk it being an "anomaly" with so many better and more proven options. Say what you want but 1 conference win is pathetic no matter how you slice it.

2. If he makes it to the bowl game without a clear cut decision their should be protests in the streets.

3. Agreed that he should never be the HC at Auburn. 

4. No one is s***ting on him as a person or DC but he doesn't deserve to be considered for the AU HC position. If he doesn't like it he should formally withdraw his name and stop that narrative and faction.

5. The dumb hashtag argument again. My god, he's 62 he doesn't likely know or give a **** about a Twitter hashtag. That hashtag was clearly directed at the decision to hire him and not as a slant against him. Almost every post in that hashtag went out of it's way to mention their respect for him as a man and DC.

To be honest it could be argued he didn't hold his end up as a DC this year but I'm not making that argument.

Just now, JMassie11 said:

Looks like MC is getting his money from Oregon. It’s not gonna be a guy that’s been mentioned to come here

Lol you call that getting his money? That's low end sec money dude!!! Hahahaha.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Big ten is a coaches league. Sec is a recruiters league. I think he would be engulfed by the cutthroat sec crutin. Damn good coach though. Indiana is a terrible job.

We've got bagmen to help with that.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

We've got bagmen to help with that.

They have disappeared lately.

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

No.  The question you should be asking is: Who is the current starting quarterback at (pick a random Top 25 school).

I want people making this decision who watch, know, and can evaluate college football.  Knowing our team is one thing.  Do you have the acumen to know about others in order to make an informed decision?

I was setting a minimum lol but I agree.

18 hours ago, Beaker said:

Auburn is probably the most difficult top 10-12 program in the country.   No question we play the hardest conf sched in America.  

Now if we could get a different rotational sched or a way to change it so we aren't bound to play the 3 hardest programs in the SEC every year, that would help with a coaching search. 

and let's not turn this into, "you're stupid and I don't want a coach who doesn't want to play the best."  Just say'in it is a consideration for those in this game for the long haul...

Auburn has had every opportunity to become one of those 3 hardest programs in the SEC.  Richt out at UGA/Smart takes over >>> Advantage AU a chance to supplant UGA.  Miles out at LSU/EdO takes over >>> Advantage AU to supplant LSU.  IF Auburn doesn't watch out, Fisher & aTm will jump us in the pecking order like they did this year.

Auburn needs wholesale change and the entire coaching staff turned upside down.  It's the only way we have a chance to become one of the hardest 3 SEC programs.  Then other teams in the SEC will dread playing AU and they can complain about having a hard schedule and facing AU every year. 

I get the feeling Cristobal is wanting to stay at UO. Only because Oregon ain’t dumb. They know how much money an SEC school has to throw around. If they were scared that contract would have been much higher. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

They have disappeared lately.

Eh, I think they showed up yesterday.  We kept some dudes and flipped a couple without a head coach.

2 minutes ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

So is this extension it for Cristobal? 

I think this is just the terms being voted on by the OU's BOT.

A few things can happen.

1 The board of trusties can vote NO. 

meaning

1A:    it is too much money for them to anti up,

1B:   or maybe even  hoping to get more money for Mario in light of a bidding war with us.

2.  the BOT can approve these terms and hand over the contract to Mario.

2A   Mario can sign it and stay at Oregon

2B Mario can wait to see if Auburn presents (or has presented ) a better offer.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you look at their recent signing classes, he has been getting a bunch of guys out of FL so he at least has some connections there. Maybe with the right staff he could make it work here. 

Just now, AUscw2011 said:

I get the feeling Cristobal is wanting to stay at UO. Only because Oregon ain’t dumb. They know how much money an SEC school has to throw around. If they were scared that contract would have been much higher. 

Naw man.  It's a cultural difference.  Pac 12 schools don't pay SEC level prices, period.  Football is fun and meaningful, but it's not the only thing out there.  They actually have their priorities straight on many levels.

Archived