Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

PAC12 ball is just different too and doesn't match up well with SEC ball. It's like rock/paper/scissors.

Their OL and DLs are built for speed and mobility. The Bamas and the UGAs are recruiting at such a level their guys have both size and speed. Even we have more of it than PAC12 schools.

I wouldn't say that is exactly true. Cristobal is the best when it comes to recruiting Oline. Stanford is run behind their lineman type of team and Utah and Colorado put Olineman in the NFL.  USC used to have top notch lineman. Although under Kelly Oregon was definitely more smaller and speed based. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I think this is just the terms being voted on by the OU's BOT.

A few things can happen.

1 The board of trusties can vote NO. 

meaning

1A:    it is too much money for them to anti up,

1B:   or maybe even  hoping to get more money for Mario in light of a bidding war with us.

2.  the BOT can approve these terms and hand over the contract to Mario.

2A   Mario can sign it and stay at Oregon

2B Mario can wait to see if Auburn presents (or has presented ) a better offer.

did anyone post what Oregon offered?

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Naw man.  It's a cultural difference.  Pac 12 schools don't pay SEC level prices, period.  Football is fun and meaningful, but it's not the only thing out there.  They actually have their priorities straight on many levels.

Sure they do lol

The deal would raise Cristobal’s base salary from $2.7 million per year to $4.55 million; he would go from being the second-worst paid head coach in the Pac-12 to being fourth-highest paid. He’ll now be making just $450K less per year than the conference’s highest paid coach, Kyle Whittingham of Utah. There are all sorts of other attainable bonuses.

two things jump out at me-

1. going only to 4th highest paid?

2.  in what sane world is the coach of Utah getting the most money?

I’m glad to see what Oregon has offered up to CMC because now we will know money isn’t the issue if he don’t come here. It’ll be easier to know if it’s the PTB messing this up now. 

On another note, it’s not easier to win championships at Oregon IMO. It’s easier to go undefeated at Oregon. A one/two win SEC team with a championship win would easily make it into the playoff before a one loss Oregon would. There’s more arguments for the SEC and more arguments against the PAC-12 when these conversations start. 

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol you call that getting his money? That's low end sec money dude!!! Hahahaha.

Got the money he wanted.....that better?

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I’

On another note, it’s not easier to win championships at Oregon IMO. It’s easier to go undefeated at Oregon. A one/two win SEC team with a championship win would easily make it into the playoff before a one loss Oregon would. There’s more arguments for the SEC and more arguments against the PAC-12 when these conversations start. 

100%

Now get me started about Auburn's undefeated teams that got no love nationally. 

8 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

The deal would raise Cristobal’s base salary from $2.7 million per year to $4.55 million; he would go from being the second-worst paid head coach in the Pac-12 to being fourth-highest paid. He’ll now be making just $450K less per year than the conference’s highest paid coach, Kyle Whittingham of Utah. There are all sorts of other attainable bonuses.

two things jump out at me-

1. going only to 4th highest paid?

2.  in what sane world is the coach of Utah getting the most money?

Not to mention the 15% pay cut built in if there are pandemic issues in that first year of the new contract.

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

hey-tom-hanks.gif

Gump could be our next coach

1. he was a great college player

2. he learned under the barr 

3. Great leader ( see military career with medals)

4.very honest, would run a clean program

5.great at public  relations (see his speech in DC)

6. Could recruit well, he’s been an athlete all over the world(he would bring in all the top players from China: see his table tennis career 

7. he’s tough as nails (see his ability to punch out abusive hipster black panther wanna bees)

Draw back: he had a soft spot for a certain “type” of women (See Hugh Freeze)

Lets make him an offer!

14 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

If you look at their recent signing classes, he has been getting a bunch of guys out of FL so he at least has some connections there. Maybe with the right staff he could make it work here. 

A quick view of his wiki page shows he was at Arky State in 2011, Ole Miss 2012-2014, and USF in 2015

Do we know who are legit possibilities? Whether it's from their own interest or Auburn's interest?

Kiffin?

Sarkisian?

Freeze?

Just curious if we know of legit interest with any coaches outside of Steele and maybe Cristobal?

1 minute ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Do we know who are legit possibilities? Whether it's from their own interest or Auburn's interest?

Kiffin?

Sarkisian?

Freeze?

Just curious if we know of legit interest with any coaches outside of Steele and maybe Cristobal?

I've wasted a week of my life constantly refreshing Twitter, on here, messaging even somewhat insider, and I can tell you without a doubt.... I have no damn clue.

Just now, Zeek said:

I've wasted a week of my life constantly refreshing Twitter, on here, messaging even somewhat insider, and I can tell you without a doubt.... I have no damn clue.

So you are on par with the search committee

1 minute ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Kiffin?

Sarkisian?

Freeze?

I believe it’s a hard no on Freeze.

kiffin is so unpredictable he could be the next greeter at Walmart if he wants. (Good coach though) aka he’s interested in every possible job our interest in him is the main question 

idk if Sark is personally 100% ready to be back in or show interest in a job but could be a good hire. 

5 minutes ago, AUscw2011 said:

I’m hearing from sources unrelated to the university that Herman Boone next man up. 

Herman Boone - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Herman_Boone

Herman Ike Boone (October 28, 1935 – December 18, 2019) was an American high school football coach who coached the 1971 T. C. Williams High School .

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Haha. Well.... the longer this goes on.. the more I start becoming interested in Lane Kiffin. 

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Did he agree to it?

Not even at that point yet

that would be all over the sporting world if he did 

15 minutes ago, casatiger said:

If Steele is the guy who is the offensive coordinator that he could bring in that would make you happy?

Definitely not Mike Bobo.

Archived