Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Just now, DAG said:

I admit from the surface level I am not impressed with Neal but I admittedly don’t know  a lot about him. 

Yeah I get the skepticism on Brown for sure.  As I stated elsewhere this is all a crap shoot but being a Troy grad and living in Dothan I followed Brown's program pretty closely here.  He was well respected, well liked and he rebuilt a struggling program into a couple of 10 win teams. (Granted I know it was the SunBelt).  

He might bomb out here I don't know but I do like the guy and at least he is familiar with recruiting in the area.  

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Jboy thinks it will now possibly be 

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

says he thinks Neal brown has a small chance thinks Napier hype has died down but doesnt rule out him getting a look, says a small chance Kiffin could be a candidate but not much info on if hes serious about wanting the job or just looking for a raise says if Kiffin interview he will most likely get the job

We should start at number 3. Having said that, I would not be surprised if we hired a coach that was fired at not one but two different SEC schools

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What I want to know is, are any of our insiders here still preaching patience?

And this is a serious question.

If it means getting the "right" guy then yes....but we don't need a week. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m Napier and Kiffen I think. Sark at 3. Other than those 3 I’m indifferent. I’d just prefer not to have Steele.

I just don’t trust kiffen. I really would like Napier though for sure. But I am not opposed to interviews with Sark, Napier, Kiffen and Elliot. All of them need to be interviewed. Hard pass on CKS 

9 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Jboy thinks it will now possibly be 

1. Sark

2. Will Muschamp

3. Billy Napier

4. Lane Kiffin

5. Neal Brown

Muschamp????? You have to be kidding me.

Lol yes, let's hire Muschamp. The only person besides CKS who has done more to prove he should not progress beyond a coordinator. This keeps becoming more and more laughable.

Napier can recruit and develop. He'll tear it up in recruiting here. He's already had the best recruiting classes in the Sun Belt in 2019 and 2020. 

I posted this the other day but that was like 100 pages ago. lol

Napier had 3 players from Lafayette get drafted in the 2020 draft. A school record.

Also, both of Lafayette's O-line players that were drafted went higher then our two O-line players in the same draft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Louisiana_Ragin'_Cajuns_in_the_NFL_Draft

Hunt - 2nd Rd - #39
Dotson - 4th Rd - #135

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Auburn_Tigers_in_the_NFL_Draft

Driscoll - 4th Rd - #145
Tega - 6th Rd - #210

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Muschamp????? You have to be kidding me.

AUBURN..... lol

one thing is for certain, while it appeared like a vast majority of Auburn fans could get on board for a Cristobal hire, now there is no legitimate candidate that will come in with that type of majority in favor. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Auburnfan91 said:

Napier can recruit and develop. He'll tear it up in recruiting here. He's already had the best recruiting classes in the Sun Belt in 2019 and 2020. 

Napier had 3 players from Lafayette get drafted in the 2020 draft. A school record.

Also, both of Lafayette's O-line players that were drafted went higher then our two O-line players in the same draft.

Hunt - 2nd Rd - #39
Dotson - 4th Rd - #135

Driscoll - 4th Rd - #145
Tega - 6th Rd - #210

I would love to have this guy tbh 

5 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

So we want Lane Kiffen because he's an offensive genius? Feels like I've heard this one before...

And we want Sark why? Because he's an offensive gen... Yeah same song, different verse.

Plan B should be Napier or Clark, someone who has shown can run a program. Not just run an effective scheme...

I truly do think kiffin is a offensive genius. That's actually legit this time and not a myth like it is a lot of dudes that get labeled that. Pound for pound? Best play caller in the game. I love his OC jeff lebby. Good enough recruiter. Having said that I am not sold on him as a actual head coach. I also think he would leave the second for even a lateral job offered him. He's a mercenary. He never stays anywhere long. He's not a viable long term answer.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I just don’t trust kiffen. I really would like Napier though for sure. But I am not opposed to interviews with Sark, Napier, Kiffen and Elliot. All of them need to be interviewed. Hard pass on CKS 

I think Kiffin would bring some fun back to Auburn football, he’d be good for our QB situation, and he’d provide a much needed culture shock.

I would be fired up if we could get Tony Elliottt. Get Derek Mason as our DC and let’s goooooo. Here’s an article on Elliott from Jan:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/4448758002

And talk about a man overcoming all the crap thrown his way and getting better instead of bitter: 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13766528/the-incredible-underdog-story-clemson-offensive-coordinator-tony-elliott

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

So we want Lane Kiffen because he's an offensive genius? Feels like I've heard this one before...

And we want Sark why? Because he's an offensive gen... Yeah same song, different verse.

Plan B should be Napier or Clark, someone who has shown can run a program. Not just run an effective scheme...

The problem with AU the last few years has been the offensive creativity, of lack thereof.... and now y’all don’t want either two guys that can elevate the offense? I don’t get it lol 

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Hunt - 2nd Rd - #39
Dotson - 4th Rd - #135

Driscoll - 4th Rd - #145
Tega - 6th Rd - #210

I'm convinced. Lets get it done. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Well we should definitely need to be patient now and vet as hell. Interview as you should and follow the process. The class is effed anyhow. But I do hope they got several candidates lined up 

Exactly. No point in rushing this thing anymore. Clearly if there was a plan in place for someone like Cristobal, it went up in flames. Interview multiple candidates, vet them, and make the best decision. Of course we know that won’t really happen with the PTB...

image.jpeg

Would be nice if real interviews and vetting was actually taking place and someone like AG was going to be able to have input.

Auburn plays in the SEC west. Facts are this is the toughest division in football. Question is  there someone out there who is good enough win and not be intimidated by Bama, Ga, A&M. Does he exist?

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I know for a fact that this was at least in the works last season, at least the get rid of Gus and hire Steele part. Last season's Iron Bowl cancelled those plans. 

Interesting to think that this could have been some diabolical plot years in the making. Would make one heck of a 30 for 30. 

On Jboy’s pod here’s loosely what he said  on muschamp: “I’m hoping this doesn’t happen, but just remember the name, as it is one I have heard mentioned” that was it. His list was not in any kind of order

Give me Lane Kiffin with Derek Mason as the DC

Make that s*** happen

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

On Jboy’s pod here’s loosely what he said  on muschamp: “I’m hoping this doesn’t happen, but just remember the name, as it is one I have heard mentioned” that was it. His list was not in any kind of order

My gosh . Mav I know you mean well

and one of my favorite posters but who knows whom he heard this from or the context . I just highly doubt this guy is getting any true consideration 

13 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Gus Malzahn did 115% of the work to get himself fired. Let's never, ever, ever, ever frame this as a "coup" or that Gus got unfairly pushed out. He was failed for reasons completely self-inflicted.

I completely agree. He made his own bed. I just mean there has to be some truth to the behind the back dealings. I don’t want that to continue because I think it hurts us with other candidates 

Archived