Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Let go the old highschool coach route again. I heard Vestavia coach just retired.. Let throw Buddy Anderson's name in the hat..... #JABA🥴

The only man on the planet with a smaller playbook than Gus! He definitely subscribed to the Coach Boone Remember the Titans novocaine method of playcalling 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep definitely didn’t say that . Again take a couple of breaths. Try again.  I said a veteran. KS is freaking 60 . I wouldn’t consider him a veteran HC. It will be okay 

You sure about that chief?  You said you'd be OK with a Napier if we surrounded him with a veteran coordinator.  Proof is in the link below.

I'm just saying a veteran coordinator isn't necessary even if we do hire Napier.  Youth has proven to be good at multiple levels of football, including D1 and the NFL.

1 minute ago, Auhud08 said:

Lane kiffin-

can coach quarterbacks and offense, hates saban, is hated by saban, brings energy, enthusiasm, and entertainment. 

Come on everybody...

He’s my Darkhorse

All this talk about coaches, what specialty would you like for the head coach to have--offense, defense, special teams? For me, I've always preferred a defensive minded head coach. Thoughts?

Just now, KnightTiger said:

Kiffin would be the only guy that can excite folks but i doubt he leaves ole miss after one season

Yeah wouldn't help the reputation he already has.

2 minutes ago, AUwent said:

If I didn't suspect that he wants to stay in the NFL or would jump back ASAP, I would be head over heels for Joe Brady. You don't think the fact that he captained one of the most exciting offenses ever would get recruits attention?

I don't think Joe Brady has any interest in coaching college football.  I'm just one to push back on the notion of a veteran presence or a proven winner.  There's too much evidence that hiring young dudes can also work.  Just get me the best guy and staff, period.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not even arguing for Joe Brady man.  I'm arguing against your ridiculous notion that age matters. 

I think the issue with Brady isn't his age or necessarily his experience. It is the fact that we just don't know enough about him at this point. He's had 1 season as the passing game coordinator for a college program where he was very successful, and one season as the OC for an NFL team, where he hasn't actually done that well. He had no experience as a position coach previously except working at a FCS school coaching linebackers. Brady could and more than likely will turn out to be a good coach, but there's just not enough in his coaching background to tell. 

Just now, KnightTiger said:

Kiffin would be the only guy that can excite folks but i doubt he leaves ole miss after one season

I’d be excited for Napier just as much as  Freshwater. 

14 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Fritz would be an interesting one. Fun offense, intense guy, great gameday coach. 

Isn't Fritz an option/flexbone coach? If so, hard pass. All you need to do is look at Ga Tech for evidence of why. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I think the issue with Brady isn't his age or necessarily his experience. It is the fact that we just don't know enough about him at this point. He's had 1 season as the passing game coordinator for a college program where he was very successful, and one season as the OC for an NFL team, where he hasn't actually done that well. He had no experience as a position coach previously except working at a FCS school coaching linebackers. Brady could and more than likely will turn out to be a good coach, but there's just not enough in his coaching background to tell. 

Again, and I'll say it in big letters, I'M NOT ARGUING FOR BRADY.  See a few posts up.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

You sure about that chief?  You said you'd be OK with a Napier if we surrounded him with a veteran coordinator.  Proof is in the link below.

I'm just saying a veteran coordinator isn't necessary even if we do hire Napier.  Youth has proven to be good at multiple levels of football, including D1 and the NFL.

Yes a veteran. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AGE? Let me make this practical for you . Been a nurse since age 22. Been in management since 25. I am 30 now. I consider myself a veteran. However there are a lot of people older then me in this profession with less management skill who has been practicing nursing longer than me. The age doesn’t matter. The years of experience that I bring to the table does speak to my ability to do the job of nursing management. It has nothing to do with age. 

Since New Orleans was mentioned, from wayyyy back in left field at the warning track, Dennis Allen, 47 yr old Saints DC. I know, I know......but he’s done damn good job there.

2 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

That'd be the third SEC fanbase that he would've ticked off haha you could just about arrest him for arson after burning that many bridges

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I don’t agree with you very often but thank you! 

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It looks no less awful though.

When I claimed it would be Lashlee, it wasn't because I thought it would be a good option. It was because I thought they'd mess up this hire. 

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Isn't Fritz an option/flexbone coach? If so, hard pass. All you need to do is look at Ga Tech for evidence of why. 

Runs some option out of the gun. Think Oregon under Chip Kelly. Recruits well too. 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Again, and I'll say it in big letters, I'M NOT ARGUING FOR BRADY.  See a few posts up.

Sorry. Context is so hard to convey on the internet. I was agreeing with you that age is irrelevant. If he's a good coach and he's intelligent, he'll pick up on the job quickly. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I know this is hopelessly optimistic but I still think it's SUPER weird Cristobal has been mum on his new deal. No pressers. No social media. Nothing.

I mean, his team is playing for a championship tomorrow. Seems like he is probably locked in on that.

Archived