Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I know this is hopelessly optimistic but I still think it's SUPER weird Cristobal has been mum on his new deal. No pressers. No social media. Nothing.

Quit giving us hope da**it! Let us wallow in our misery!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

I know this is hopelessly optimistic but I still think it's SUPER weird Cristobal has been mum on his new deal. No pressers. No social media. Nothing.

I like your energy but if one of the most prominent insiders on this site has made a new topic on Cristobal...and it includes a gif of an animal pooping, I think it's probably a done deal.

9 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It makes a difference in recruiting. A lot of recruiting is having connections, knowing coaches, knowing which schools put out the best players in your recruiting "domain," etc. It is possible for a very good coach to succeed without having experience in that region, but it is harder for them to recruit in their first year or two. Given that our recruiting states are Georgia and Alabama, we need someone that can recruit well right away. An outsider would be less able to do that. Again, I wouldn't exclude someone because they aren't from here or haven't coached here, but I see it as a detractor. They'd better have a big up side to counter it. 

hey man - we can agree on that.

My biggest priorities:

#1 - must be able to recruit the best talent AND LAND SOME

#2 - must be able to hire a coaching staff that can recruit and coach

#3 - must be able to lead and coach

If you have inferior talent - you lose every game in the 4th.   

Proof:  Miss State vs Auburn this year.   We won because of Bigsby and Bo, in the 4th.  It wasn't coaching or play calling for dang sure. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

As I'm typing this, I'm thinking there's going to be some odd circumstance that comes to play here, and I'll end up being wrong. But, I think it makes sense to consider Cristobal out at this point. In theory, we could buy out his new contract, but that is a lot to put out for a coach that isn't completely proven yet. 

I heard a critic of Napier say he’s an offensive guy but his offenses don’t produce. I looked it up and that is accurate. The resume is awful thin. 

I think I can rally around Sark, even though his Washington record isn’t overwhelming. 

Just now, Beaker said:

My biggest priorities:

Proof:  Miss State vs Auburn this year.   We won because of Bigsby and Bo, in the 4th.  It wasn't coaching or play calling for dang sure. 

Well, we won because MSU made some bonehead plays and turned the ball over too many times.

10 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

would he leave ole miss after one season is the question dont forget the manning kid he recruited

More money and a chance to win championships talks and maybe he can convince the man and kid that it’s better to create your own legacy at Auburn rather than trying to fill family shoes at Ole Miss.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yes a veteran. WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH AGE? Let me make this practical for you . Been a nurse since age 22. Been in management since 25. I am 30 now. I consider myself a veteran. However there are a lot of people older then me in this profession with less management skill who has been practicing nursing longer than me. The age doesn’t matter. The years of experience that I bring to the table does speak to my ability to do the job of nursing management. It has nothing to do with age. 

Sorry, but the business world is so much different from football at this level.  Veteran coaches are typically considered people who have done this for decades.  It's why it's so shocking when someone like a Sean McVay gets hired by L.A.  Sure, he's been coaching for a while, but in football terms, not really.

16 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Lane kiffin-

can coach quarterbacks and offense, hates saban, is hated by saban, brings energy, enthusiasm, and entertainment. 

Come on everybody...

And yet left for USC one year into the Tennessee gig. Got fired midseason at USC for head coaching ineptitude. Went to the Nick Saban Center For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good And Who Also Want To Learn How To Do Other Things Good Too. Took a gig in the SunBelt Conference and did well enough to earn the Ole Miss gig. And is currently 4-4 with the only redeeming quality being that he gave Bama a hard time for three quarters.

Again. If you want to hire another offensive guru to lead the Auburn Tigers don't be surprised when he gets fired on the tarmac in College Station, TX because we've had it with his jackassery and inability to run a competent program. And maybe we'll be so lucky to have an interim HC in Derick Mason take over midway through the season as we wonder how we will ever been Bama again.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sorry, but the business world is so much different from football at this level.  Veteran coaches are typically considered people who have done this for decades.  It's why it's so shocking when someone like a Sean McVay gets hired by L.A.  Sure, he's been coaching for a while, but in football terms, not really.

And that’s fine but you have to realize there aren’t a lot of Sean McVays and Joe Brady’s out there. People want to replicate but not with a lot of success. I can’t speak to the business world . But in healthcare administration , which mixes business with health , experience does matter. You are telling me I am talking about age and that is just a blatant lie. And you could be right , it could be much different in the football world at that level but excuse me if I just don’t take what you say as the gospel, as neither you nor I are in that world. 

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

And yet left for USC one year into the Tennessee gig. Got fired midseason at USC for head coaching ineptitude. Went to the Nick Saban Center For Coaches Who Can't Coach Good And Who Also Want To Learn How To Do Other Things Good Too. Took a gig in the SunBelt Conference and did well enough to earn the Ole Miss gig. And is currently 4-4 with the only redeeming quality being that he gave Bama a hard time for three quarters.

Again. If you want to hire another offensive guru to lead the Auburn Tigers don't be surprised when he gets fired on the tarmac in College Station, TX because we've had it with his jackassery and inability to run a competent program. And maybe we'll be so lucky to have an interim HC in Derick Mason take over midway through the season as we wonder how we will ever been Bama again.

dz.JPG

1 minute ago, DAG said:

And that’s fine but you have to realize there aren’t a lot of Sean McVays and Joe Brady’s out there. People want to replicate but not with a lot of success. I can’t speak to the business world . But in healthcare administration , which mixes business with health , experience does matter. You are telling me I am talking about age and that is just a blatant lie. And you could be right , it could be much different in the football world at that level but excuse me if I just don’t take what you say as the gospel, as neither you nor I are in that world. 

You're right.  I'm not in the football world.  But I have seen college and professional sports up close.  What I say isn't gospel.  However, it is informed by my first career choice and direct experiences.

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

My biggest priorities:

Mine are:

1. Must reflect the a positive image of Auburn. The football coach of Auburn is more than a coach. They are the face of the university. No drama. No troll tweeting. No sideline temper tantrums. No inappropriate press conferences. No cheating. I'd make an exception for Hugh Freeze because I don't think he'll do it again after how poorly it ended for him last time. 

2. Must be able to recruit. This is the cornerstone of success at the college level. Teams that don't recruit don't win consistently. 

3. Must have the ability to lead and develop players on and off the field. (When I say off, I mean like Gus was able to do. For all the criticism of his on field coaching and player football development, he was a mentor to the players, and that's one of the reasons the program stayed so clean over his tenure.)

4. Must have a pseudo executive mindset. He needs to be able to see the big picture of what he wants his program to be, and hire the coaches and target the players that fit that picture. 

5. This is less of a must and more of a prefer, but my preference is for an offensive guy. College football is dominated by offense right now. I'd rather bring in someone who is known for successful offense than successful defense because I don't think you can win long term with no offense. I do think you can possibly with no defense. 

22 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I think the issue with Brady isn't his age or necessarily his experience. It is the fact that we just don't know enough about him at this point. He's had 1 season as the passing game coordinator for a college program where he was very successful, and one season as the OC for an NFL team, where he hasn't actually done that well. He had no experience as a position coach previously except working at a FCS school coaching linebackers. Brady could and more than likely will turn out to be a good coach, but there's just not enough in his coaching background to tell. 

And how big of a genius would he have been without Joe Burrow. I mean Brady didnt complete 80% of his passes for 60 TDs in the SEC, Burrow did. It was the perfect storm. It shouldn't be looked at as the "norm" for sure. 

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

And how big of a genius would he have been without Joe Burrow. I mean Brady didnt complete 80% of his passes for 60 TDs in the SEC. It was the perfect storm. Shouldn't be looked at as the "norm" for sure.

That's kind of what I mean. I'm not saying he's good or bad. I'm saying there are too many questions about him at this point. The only thing we know about him was that he had that one good year at LSU. It is a sign that he could very well be a good coach, but we just don't know that yet... not with enough certainty to give him an offer as coach at an elite program. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Mine are:

1. Must reflect the a positive image of Auburn. The football coach of Auburn is more than a coach. They are the face of the university. No drama. No troll tweeting. No sideline temper tantrums. No inappropriate press conferences. No cheating. I'd make an exception for Hugh Freeze because I don't think he'll do it again after how poorly it ended for him last time. 

2. Must be able to recruit. This is the cornerstone of success at the college level. Teams that don't recruit don't win consistently. 

3. Must have the ability to lead and develop players on and off the field. (When I say off, I mean like Gus was able to do. For all the criticism of his on field coaching and player football development, he was a mentor to the players, and that's one of the reasons the program stayed so clean over his tenure.)

4. Must have a pseudo executive mindset. He needs to be able to see the big picture of what he wants his program to be, and hire the coaches and target the players that fit that picture. 

5. This is less of a must and more of a prefer, but my preference is for an offensive guy. College football is dominated by offense right now. I'd rather bring in someone who is known for successful offense than successful defense because I don't think you can win long term with no offense. I do think you can possibly with no defense. 

6. Must be able to let go of his ego and actually evolve the offense or defense as needed to remain competitive. Cannot become stagnant and predictable.

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Mine are:

Eliminate number one and i am good with those

14 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

More money and a chance to win championships talks and maybe he can convince the man and kid that it’s better to create your own legacy at Auburn rather than trying to fill family shoes at Ole Miss.

Why would we hire an twitter troll to be our head coach?

List of coaches in order of win percentage:

Nick Saban

Lincoln Riley

Dabo Swinney

Dan Mullen

Josh Heupel

Karl Darrell (Colorado only 4-1)

Kirby Smart

Bryan Harsin

Ed Orgeron

Jimmy Lake (Washington only 3-1)

Shawn Clark (App State only 9-3)

Paul Chryst

Hugh Freeze

Mario Cristobal

Luke Fickell

David Shaw

Billy Napier

Gary Patterson

Jimbo Fisher

Brian Kelly

Jim Harbaugh

James Franklin

Clay Helton

Mike Gundy

Kyle Whittingham

Jason Candle (Toledo)

Bill Clark

Tom Herman

PJ Fleck

Matt Campbell

Jamey Chadwell

Tom Allen

Lance Leipold

Lane Kiffin

Scott Satterfield

Neal Brown

Philip Montgomery (Tulsa)

Coordinators

Steve Sarkisian

Tony Elliott

Rhett Lashlee

Brent Venables

Crossed out names I don't think there's ANY chance we get for various reasons (buyouts, lateral move, etc.)

Let's find a list of 5 boys

48 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

possibly interviewing Napier or Fritz?

Lafayette has its own regional airport. Could fly there directly if Napier unless purposely hiding it.  That would be a dead giveaway. 

Archived