Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

This response exemplifies the Auburn choir boy bull**** that will never allow us to have a coach with the balls needed to be successful. 

Well, like it or not, guys like me probably make up the majority of the fan base that doesn't got on message boards, and probably the majority of the fan base as a whole. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

My list in no particular order:

Napier, Sark, Lane, Elliot, Campbell. If we can’t get Cristobal I think these are our best and realistic options. I’d prefer Sark, Lane, or Campbell who’ve coached at power 5 jobs before and can recruit good. Napier and Elliot for the pedigree and ability to recruit. Just my two cents. 

Similar my top 5 in no order was

Neal Brown

Tony Elliott

Hugh Freeze

Lane Kiffin

Billy Napier

And I know there's hesitation but I might give Bill Clark an interview 

3 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

This response exemplifies the Auburn choir boy bull**** that will never allow us to have a coach with the balls needed to be successful. 

Bingo. So sick of "HeS a GoOd AuBuRn MaN" I could puke.

10 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Plus, I just kind of don't like the idea of hiring a guy who was basically fired from a previous job for being a drunk. Again, not exactly the best image for Auburn.

You are disgusting....You are whats wrong with AU

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Well, like it or not, guys like me probably make up the majority of the fan base that doesn't got on message boards, and probably the majority of the fan base as a whole. 

Yea, boomers ruin everything. 

6 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

Auburn is one of the most penalized schools when it comes to NCAA infractions. Our image outside of Lee County is that Auburn is a cheating school anyways. I’ve heard this from friends and family who are fans of other universities (SEC, BIG 10, BIG 12). Don’t think Lane or Sark would make it any worse than what people already think of us. 

I'm not worried about what others think of us, but AU hasn't been on probation in football since the mid-90s.  Not a single recruit or recent graduate alive that has ever seen us on probation for a day.

Just now, chizhead said:

You are disgusting....You are whats wrong with AU

I'm disgusting for having morals, and for wanting the university that gave me my first degree to look good? Okay boomer. 

I said when the came up with the search firm and the committee they were going to hose this up and I have certainly seen nothing so far to change my mind.  You don’t get rid of a coach and agree to pay $20 million without having a great replacement lined up through the back channels that you are confident is coming on board.  Our leadership does not have a clue what they are doing and now they are just trying to cover their butts.  They are about to spend $40 million plus to make a change and we will be worse off than with Gus.  Just watch it happen.  

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Just because others have a bad image of us doesn't mean we should embrace that bad image. If anything, we should be trying to change that image. 

Auburn should do what is best for Auburn, not worry about what others think of us.  Perpetuating that Auburn is one of the  most penalized schools in the NCAA doesn't help.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not worried about what others think of us, but AU hasn't been on probation in football since the mid-90s.  Not a single recruit or recent graduate alive that has ever seen us on probation for a day.

Laughs in cam newtons dad getting paid. 

I'm disgusting for having morals, and for wanting the university that gave me my first degree to look good? Okay boomer. 

Honest question:

What's the difference between giving Cam Newton a second chance and Steve Sarkisian one?

Cam stole a laptop and was kicked out of Florida.  Not a whole lot of difference there.

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Auburn should do what is best for Auburn, not worry about what others think of us.  Perpetuating that Auburn is one of the  most penalized schools in the NCAA doesn't help.

So having a coach that cheats, bends the rules, behaves poorly, doesn't give a crap about their players, etc. is good for Auburn?

2 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Hey man.  We didn't go on probation for it.  That's all that matters.

Just now, weagl1 said:

I said when the came up with the search firm and the committee they were going to hose this up and I have certainly seen nothing so far to change my mind.  You don’t get rid of a coach and agree to pay $20 million without having a great replacement lined up through the back channels that you are confident is coming on board.  Our leadership does not have a clue what they are doing and now they are just trying to cover their butts.  They are about to spend $40 million plus to make a change and we will be worse off than with Gus.  Just watch it happen.  

I don't get this.    Most schools have someone in mind  but rarely "lined up" before a firing.   Hell, Arkansas took weeks  with their search.   I can't think of many schools that have had their man all locked up before firing a HC.

Just now, AUFriction said:

Gus did evolve the offense. His evolutions just didn't work. Around the Lashlee years, he really had a limited passing playbook. Most of his plays involved deep post routes, vertical routes, and the TE/HB on a wheel route. At that time, every first down play was pretty much always the inside zone. There wasn't really much of a short to intermediate game at this time either. Around the time he hired Lindsey, the offense started incorporating more short and intermediate throws like slants, screen passes, and crossing routes. There were also new looks for the RPOs we ran after we hired Lindsey. This past year under Morris, we used the perimeter in unique ways that we hadn't previously done. 

I did think he was stubborn about changing the offense in his first four years. It was when he parted ways with Lashlee the yes man that Gus finally started adapting his playbook. After that, he actually did make changes. Those changes just didn't work for whatever reason. Some of it was even though he had more diverse plays, he started telegraphing when he was calling certain things, partially through personnel changes. But, this criticism that he did not adapt is a lingering criticism from earlier in his tenure that he actually fixed. 

Not really. He added very few of those plays on any type of consistent basis. He's never had anything remotely resembling an effective passing scheme. He never really utilized the TE, other than for blocking. He ran the ball up the middle about 95% of the time on 1st down. It was probably closer to 99% if we busted of a decent to long run. 

We ran some crossing routes with Lindsey, never to be seen again for some reason. Stidham and Davis were quite effective with it.  He still barely throws the ball deep if it isn't to the sidelines, and hardly utilizes the middle of the field at any depth. He had a little success throwing to the perimeter with Stidham, so over the last couple of years, he threw it over there so often it became comical. 

His offense had become stagnant and dead easy to defend for most competent DC's.  He had to rely on desperation attempts like using a 300 lb TE at Wildcat for Pete's sake. 

As much as I don't like him, evolution on offense is what Saban has done, or at least allowed to happen. Tight formation, power running game with very little reliance on the pass to spread it out with a mobile QB and big play RB's and WR's in the passing game (Blake Sims) to absolutely airing it out all over the field with multiple deep threats and a power back who catches the ball well. (Tua and Mac).

Granted, there is an enormous difference in talent in comparison, but even someone with the monstrous ego of Saban allowed his team to change with the times. He did it to stay competitive, because that is what competitors do. 

So having a coach that cheats, bends the rules, behaves poorly, doesn't give a crap about their players, etc. is good for Auburn?

I'd love to hear to whom you're referring. 

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Do you know how thoroughly they went through the financial records of the university and all of the boosters? In fact, they've probably done it twice in the last decade thanks to Chuck Person. If we legitimately paid Cam, it would've come out by now. 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

Hey man.  We didn't go on probation for it.  That's all that matters.

I agree, damn lucky we got away with a natty.

Buy that compliance man a drink for hiding that s*** so well. 

The long held unwritten rule in college football when faced with firing a coach with a huge buyout: don't fire the coach and incur the huge buyout unless and until you KNOW the guy you want, and are sure he’s coming. Our BOT and PTB must be dumb as rocks to step into this quagmire. Our fans and alumni deserve so much better. 

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Having morals means being against the thoughts of a man changing? Morals so grounded that people going through a bad part of their lives can’t recover? 

Do you know how thoroughly they went through the financial records of the university and all of the boosters? In fact, they've probably done it twice in the last decade thanks to Chuck Person. If we legitimately paid Cam, it would've come out by now. 

Dude, it was obviously a tongue in cheek joke. 

However, after working with both football and baseball in the early 2010s, players get paid. Even s***ty ones. 

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Similar my top 5 in no order was

Neal Brown

Tony Elliott

Hugh Freeze

Lane Kiffin

Billy Napier

And I know there's hesitation but I might give Bill Clark an interview 

I like this list! I could support all of these including Bill Clark

Archived