Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Guys I'm not so sure he's even that good of a DC lmao.

I said this back on like page 7! Lol. If he were to stick around as DC another few years we’d be right back to pre Muschamp status.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Bro I never really saw Steele's DC resume

"Steele was Nick Saban's first defensive coordinator at Alabama. After three seasons at Clemson, he was either fired or left on his own in 2012. (There are differing versions how his departure came about.) In 2015, Steele was Les Miles' defensive coordinator for one season. That year, LSU dropped from first to fifth in SEC total defense (ninth to 25th nationally).

Since 2016, Auburn's defenses have never finished above fifth in the SEC. Statistically, this season the unit was the worst under Steele, allowing 401 yards per game. However, he was part of two wins over Alabama in 2017 and 2019."

Guys I'm not so sure he's even that good of a DC lmao.

On the not good at DC part I have a little reservation. With a legit O we are in the playoff last season. Our O put our D in a massive disadvantage the past few years

After catching up on things after work today I think that I am more upset with Gus than even before. All he had to do was be willing to adapt his offense. Was that too much to ask? 

I already know the answer...

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I said this back on like page 7! Lol. If he were to stick around as DC another few years we’d be right back to pre Muschamp status.

Seriously, looking at those stats he actively makes defenses worse each year. I'm starting to think there's some creedance to the "riding off Muschamp" thing. Damn, how good of a DC is Muschamp? 

9 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

It could affect recruiting. A lot of recruiting is connections, particularly with HS coaches. So, trying to be a head coach in a place he hasn’t coached before may disadvantage him. 

But I was more thinking about the latter. The fact that he’s never left Ohio as a player or a coach (except for 1 year with the Saints as a player) says to me that he probably wants to stay in the midwest. 

You’re definitely right to an extent, but I have to disagree as well because we see this happen from time to time. Good recruiters bring in talent. Good coaches make the right hires to help the program. Urban went from Utah to Florida and didn’t miss a beat. 

Once Fickell makes the rounds I think he would be very receptive in the South. He is from Ohio, yes, but that is where “football guy” is born and bred. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

After catching up on things after work today I think that I am more upset with Gus than even before. All he had to do was be willing to adapt his offense. Was that too much to ask? 

I already know the answer...

That means admitting your system you created is outdated. These coaches who make these types of dollars have massive egos. The only ones who put their ego aside and adapt are the ones who succeed (Dabo and Saban)

You know what pisses me off? Greene, from what I can tell, has done a good job with almost all of the athletic programs doing well.

I don't understand why he didn't want Gus gone (stability and finances maybe) but I would have trusted him with the hire. Best part with an AD actually making the hire is you also know who to blame.

4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Seriously, looking at those stats he actively makes defenses worse each year. I'm starting to think there's some creedance to the "riding off Muschamp" thing. Damn, how good of a DC is Muschamp? 

He knows his stuff.   If he'd learn to control his anger, he'd be welcomed anywhere as DC

Just now, AURealist said:

He knows his stuff.   If he'd learn to control his anger, he'd be welcomed anywhere as DC

Yup, I hope one day he just accepts that he can be a phenomenal DC instead of being a mediocre HC.

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

Napier Now

He’s turned down interviews at Ole Miss last year and Vandy this year and backed out after interviewing at USCe this year.  He said he wasn’t ready to take another job yet.  Rumor is he’s waiting for a top tier P5 school to come knocking rather than take a lesser P5 HC job.  Who knows what his opinion of AU is and whether he sees AU as worthy of taking that jump now.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

You know what pisses me off? Greene, from what I can tell, has done a good job with almost all of the athletic programs doing well.

I don't understand why he didn't want Gus gone (stability and finances maybe) but I would have trusted him with the hire. Best part with an AD actually making the hire is you also know who to blame.

I think we are seeing why he didn’t want Gus out. The buyout was still large, and there aren’t that many dynamic coaches that we stood a chance in hiring this year. Of the two good ones out there, it seems like we missed out on one and boosters have blocked the other over what he did the last time he was in the SEC. From there, the available coaching prospects dip off in proven quality.

43 minutes ago, bodagetta said:

Also, just a context thing for Napier and Campbell. If it sounds like we are going to be hiring a coach Saturday night or Sunday morning, it is probably one of those 2 choices. They both have conference champ games Saturday, but also neither should have any legitimate chance of making the CFP. Not many coaches sticking around for a bowl game, even if it is a big one. 

I could be happy with either one. Napier might even be better choice than Cristobal. Campbell has done an amazing job at Iowa State. 

6 minutes ago, woodford said:

That means admitting your system you created is outdated. These coaches who make these types of dollars have massive egos. The only ones who put their ego aside and adapt are the ones who succeed (Dabo and Saban)

If you think the nickster and yabodabo don't have massive egos....then you either don't understand what ego means or you're a poor judge of people. Or both. 

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Dude I have so much respect for Muschamp as a DC. One of my favs. He came into Auburn and we couldn’t even tackle. By the time he left we were a top defense. 

23 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Fiscally it did not make sense. Especially without a bonafide elite candidate to bring in.  One that would excite and ignite the fan base. Now since the big money paid him off they want control of who comes in. Thus the crap show and confusion we are seeing. Let the man (AD) do his job. 

1 hour ago, AUscw2011 said:

Lol. This seems accurate 

042746D0-644A-4820-B803-8BF6A8608640.png

And again, I would take ANY of those top five.

The first, middle, and last reasons we needed to part ways with Gus was recruiting.

Re-hiring JB Grimes was the decision that ultimately cost Gus his job, if you ask me.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So what happens when we hit 200 on a coach thread? I mean we already seem to have lost #1.

Lache Seastrunk will be our new HC...

Archived