Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

26 minutes ago, AUStew87 said:

From the beginning of this search, I’ve figured Auburn would screw up the Cristobal deal and hire Napier. 

1. screw up Cristobal hiring:  

2. screw up Napier hiring... to be determined

How did they screw up the Cristobal hire?

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, fasttimes said:

is this true? two sites i saw said he extended.

Idk but it's weird his Twitter hasn't retweeted, liked, or commented on anything about the extension but it like a workout video. 

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

By basically saying the hell with everything and trying to promote Steele. As WDE said, we could’ve had MC but once again the people in control at AU screw it up

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Eh. Cristobal is ONE candidate. Eggs in one basket and all that. We're starting to sound like Tennessee with Gruden.

I understand but I think he's infinitely better fit than we're going to get. Those tiers are incredibly concerning. Sark doesn't excite me and none of these his would be a "wow"hire... in a good way at least

3 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

We gave Washington Covid. Actually it was Lowder. He catered a meal for U of W O-Line, and one of the servers was positive with Covid. TIFWIW

The last I read was that Oregon was working on contracts of 4 assistants that were to expire soon. That was important to Mario and he could very well agree in principle without signing until the others are done. What does that mean for Auburn? Absolutely nothing or maybe a possibility. Who knows? 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I understand but I think he's infinitely better fit than we're going to get. Those tiers are incredibly concerning. Sark doesn't excite me and none of these his would be a "wow"hire... in a good way at least

Fact is MC would’ve put legit wolves on the trail for AU, and guys from what was said, are also good coaches. But we can’t have anything nice here 😂

1 minute ago, TXaubie said:

We gave Washington Covid. Actually it was Lowder. He catered a meal for U of W O-Line, and one of the servers was positive with Covid. TIFWIW

Jokes aside, admin wanted to pull the trigger and beat a lousy contract but money guys took their ball and went home

10 minutes ago, USATiger said:

Which means if he ends up at Auburn, he will be overpaid like Gus.   Oregon's deal is fair for his resume, considering they obviously know him and like him.  I could see paying him slightly more, but 7.1 when he is at 4.6.  Stupidity

I can see the boards now. 7.1 mill for 2 losses...wth. Auburn is stupid. How could Gouge/Green allow for such a travesty. Fire them all I tell you. He can recruit but can’t coach...what an overpaid blah blah loser. Get of of town now. The sooner we end it the better we can start fixing Auburn football. 7.1 million is stupid for a coach who had not won a championship yet. Only one coach deserves that much and it’s Saban.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Idk but it's weird his Twitter hasn't retweeted, liked, or commented on anything about the extension but it like a workout video. 

I did notice his wife tweeted about 4 hours ago about the contract so it sounds pretty solid if momma signs off on it. 

29 minutes ago, Tiger4life25 said:

That’s what I heard too so we offer 7.1 mil and they offer 4.5 mil, does not seem to be over unless I’m missing something. Maybe he just loves it there maybe......

All we kept reading here was that he wanted to get back to the SEC and would be very interested in AU if we came calling. Odd that it appears that’s not happening, especially if those figures are correct. Some one is really bad off either way. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

All we kept reading here was that he wanted to get back to the SEC and would be very interested in AU if we came calling. Odd that it appears that’s not happening, especially if those figures are correct. Some one is really bad off either way. 

Remind me.  Who reported the $7.1 million figure??

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Bro I never really saw Steele's DC resume

"Steele was Nick Saban's first defensive coordinator at Alabama. After three seasons at Clemson, he was either fired or left on his own in 2012. (There are differing versions how his departure came about.) In 2015, Steele was Les Miles' defensive coordinator for one season. That year, LSU dropped from first to fifth in SEC total defense (ninth to 25th nationally).

Since 2016, Auburn's defenses have never finished above fifth in the SEC. Statistically, this season the unit was the worst under Steele, allowing 401 yards per game. However, he was part of two wins over Alabama in 2017 and 2019."

Guys I'm not so sure he's even that good of a DC lmao.

No, you’re missing it. I’ve been told in another thread that he’s elite and that our defenses under him have been elite. You better get on the Steele Train or you’re gonna get run over brother

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Jokes aside, admin wanted to pull the trigger and beat a lousy contract but money guys took their ball and went home

So basically we lost out on MC all because Harbert said no? Is there a sewage center in town we can name after him and Leath?

Well, at least Harbert might not be opposed to Billy Napier...Kevin Steele's CURRENT salary would be almost a tripling of Napier's current salary.

2 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

3 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Not sure but I said earlier it was rumors 

21 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I blame Washington and Covid for destroying any potential of MC coming here. 

I blame Trump!!!! Damn you

Archived