Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Hear me out. We know 2 things.

1. Ole Miss defense is absolute a**
2. Steele been telling recruits the defense  assistants would be back.

Maybe Lane is the guy and he’s going to leave his trash defense assistants in Ole Miss and come win championships with our defense. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Good thing about us is that he would probably stay put to be "Saban's rival" for a bit. To be the best, you have to beat the best. He wouldn't be at a better school to do that while CNS is still in charge in Tuscaloosa. 

He'd leave for turdtown if given the chance, though.  But Dabo will be taking that job.  

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Maybe Lane is the guy and he’s going to leave his trash defense assistants in Ole Miss and come win championships with our defense. 

Ding ding ding. 

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

He'd leave for turdtown if given the chance, though.  But Dabo will be taking that job.  

Well, he would probably leave for any Tier 1 university, but there are just a handful of those:

USC - nah

Michigan, tOSU, Bama, ND, Texas, Oklahoma...the list is pretty small above Auburn, maybe 6-8 total. 

On 12/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, PigskinPat said:

Might be crazy for thinking this, but my dark horse is Kiffin. 

He makes $3.9 million a year, so we could definitely afford him and give him the money he needs to hire the best assistants he can get.

He is the only coach this year that has gone toe-to-toe with bama, and Lane coaches at OLE MISS. We might not want to admit his success against bama is important, but we all know it is.

His offenses have been successful everywhere he’s been and his quarterbacks produce. If we can pair his offense with a good defense?....

He’s got them at 4-4 this year. Last year they were 4-8. If he had a regular schedule with cupcakes, they would have a winning record this year.

He wants to win championships. He can’t do that at Ole Miss. He knows he can do that here.

He loves getting under Saban’s skin and wants to be the former assistant that beats him. He knows he has a much better chance of doing that here. Kiffin would be like fingernails on a chalkboard to Saban if he was coaching at Saban’s biggest rival school.

He commented about our coaching search and referenced Saban’s quote when he left the Dolphins for bama. Was it random, or was he sending out a signal? lol

We’ve ticked Ole Miss off before by stealing a coach from them, it’s about time to do it again.

My first choice is Cristobal, but if we got Kiffin, he would be successful here and his tweets would be absolute gold.

If this comes to fruition, I’m never letting my buddies forget it. I’ve been telling them all week the Lane Train is coming. 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Well, he would probably leave for any Tier 1 university, but there are just a handful of those:

USC - nah

Michigan, tOSU, Bama, ND, Texas, Oklahoma...the list is pretty small above Auburn, maybe 6-8 total. 

Nah Cristobal will be successful at Oregon and swoop into Bama once Saban is done

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I mean wouldn’t hurt to go from the 127th defense to the 62nd ha. 

6 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

We're getting Lane Kiffin aren't we?

giphy.gif

No, but he'll play with us like a chew toy for as long as he can before telling us 'no'.  

Just now, AURealist said:

No, but he'll play with us like a chew toy for as long as he can before telling us 'no'.  

If there's someone who would legitimately troll us just to make us look ridiculous, it's Lane

Just now, AuburnFTW said:

If there's someone who would legitimately troll us just to make us look ridiculous, it's Lane

My thoughts exactly. 

Kiffin wants to be known as the guy who took down Saban and he knows he stands a better chance of doing that at Auburn. And that we would probably build a statue of him if he did.

2 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

Jokes on him though. Wtf does he think he’s going to be able to accomplish at Ole Miss without getting put on probation?

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

My thoughts exactly. 

Yuck, don't want to think about that. I'm getting over MC playing us for a raise by thinking about how it would work with the Lane Train. If that comes off the rails, I have a hard time thinking about Door #3. 

2 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Yuck, don't want to think about that. I'm getting over MC playing us for a raise by thinking about how it would work with the Lane Train. If that comes off the rails, I have a hard time thinking about Door #3. 

There are still a lot of good doors left. Napier, Elliot, Campbell, Sark, Bobo. Will Auburn open one of them is the question. 

You guys catch that last name? Jkjk 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jokes on him though. Wtf does he think he’s going to be able to accomplish at Ole Miss without getting put on probation?

Football related? Probably not a ton, but I bet Oxford is a real good time for the Lane Train

I think Lane Kiffin is probably a pipe dream.  He literally just got to Ole Miss and they love him there.  He had a pretty good first year there and probably thinks he can win there in short order.  Not really much incentive to leave other than money, and his reputation (which he is trying to improve) would take a huge hit with literally everyone else except for Auburn fans if he left now.  I think the AU "committee" is looking for the next young guy that has not run a big program before that can be hired for relatively cheap, while making sure Steele stays as DC as sort of an insurance policy.  Just my .02.  There are several names out there that fit that description that have been discussed here.

4 minutes ago, AuburnFTW said:

Football related? Probably not a ton, but I bet Oxford is a real good time for the Lane Train

Yea you’re right about that. 

I’d be down with Kiffin. He’s matured a lot since His UT/USC days but he still has that edge ...

he also wouldn’t be above trolling us..😆

Napier,Elliot, Sark... that’s four names right there that I’d be cool with 

5 minutes ago, BHDAU1 said:

I think Lane Kiffin is probably a pipe dream.  He literally just got to Ole Miss and they love him there.  He had a pretty good first year there and probably thinks he can win there in short order.  Not really much incentive to leave other than money, and his reputation (which he is trying to improve) would take a huge hit with literally everyone else except for Auburn fans if he left now.  I think the AU "committee" is looking for the next young guy that has not run a big program before that can be hired for relatively cheap, while making sure Steele stays as DC as sort of an insurance policy.  Just my .02.  There are several names out there that fit that description that have been discussed here.

Hard to win a championship at Ole Miss. 

I don't believe Auburn folks are going to Mississippi in the middle of the night to get trolled by Lane...maybe we get a coach out of this, maybe not. But I would have to believe some serious negotiations are taking place tonight.

Archived