Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Tiger4life25 said:

Yea sounds like the money guys want to let down and cause 50% + of the fan base apathetic to Auburn Football 

I think it'll be more than 50 at this rate

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

He went 3-3 this year, had some really embarrassing losses, and barely beat Purdue. He’s also never coached in the southeast, which could affect recruiting. 

Not coaching in the southeast didn’t affect Saban or Meyer too bad. 

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Or maybe not.  These interviews may be just smoke to soften the glare of those bad optics. 

Possible but we’re supposed to believe they interviewed all these guys and none of them had a better resume than KS? Insanity lol but they aren’t very smart so I can’t completely rule it out 

Here is my take.   If Auburn hires Sarkisian, Elliot or Napier is because they have agreed to keep Steele as DC and it saves money.   If they hire Kiffin, it’s because the others said no to that deal and they decided to blow the whole thing up.   If it’s Steele, everyone said no and Auburn looks like total buffoonery 

Just now, aubaseball said:

Here is my take.   If Auburn hires Sarkisian, Elliot or Napier is because they have agreed to keep Steele as DC and it saves money.   If they hire Kiffin, it’s because the others said no to that deal and they decided to blow the whole thing up.   If it’s Steele, everyone said no and Auburn looks like total buffoonery 

Steele isn't staying if not hired as HC

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

Hey 88!!  Where you been? 

Been busy the last couple of years lol. I talked to @bigbird@augolf1716 the other day asking about you. I just heard about TT didn't know he passed. That was sad to hear. How are you doing ? 

I really hope Coach Steele is not our choice as our next HC, 1-31 in the BIG-12. Wowsers, I think the fanbase would loose it

5 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yeah like I said he did so meh that the premier program on the West Coast (USCw) came and took him. If you think that is just meh, I dont know what to say

Yes his long record of success at USC under Carroll had more to do with his hiring than the 7-6 years at UW. 
He definitely has an exciting offense. He can sell recruits on his NFL experience too. 

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I still like Fleck. Understand the criticism but I still think he's a phenomenal motivator and leader. 

One of the downsides that does scare me with Fleck is he seems to see himself as bigger than his program. Borderline egomaniac. He's put "Row the Boat" (his personal coaching mantra) on everything. Hell, he's put boat oars on helmets and uniforms. Row the boat also seems to supplant whatever traditional rally cry his schools have. It'd be funny to try to see him get Auburn fans to drop War Eagle for RTB.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_31_at_6.45.37_PM.0.jpegback-of-maroon-helmet-2.jpgScreenshot_20201218-181056_Chrome.jpgwmufootball-land.jpg

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Good.   I believe it’s time for a clean sweep.   

I agree. New blood would definitely be a shot in the arm. My fear is that Sark will want control and that will cross him off the list, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, soblfly said:

I agree. New blood would definitely be a shot in the arm. My fear is that Sark will want control and that will cross him off the list, unfortunately. 

If he wa taught anything from Saban it is to have total control

6 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

One of the downsides that does scare me with Fleck is he seems to see himself as bigger than his program. Borderline egomaniac. He's put "Row the Boat" (his personal coaching mantra) on everything. Hell, he's put boat oars on helmets and uniforms. Row the boat also seems to supplant whatever traditional rally cry his schools have. It'd be funny to try to see him get Auburn fans to drop War Eagle for RTB.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_31_at_6.45.37_PM.0.jpegback-of-maroon-helmet-2.jpgScreenshot_20201218-181056_Chrome.jpgwmufootball-land.jpg

Terry Bowden did similar with his slogans but maybe not uni’s

1 minute ago, Tiger4life25 said:

Terry Bowden did similar with his slogans but maybe not uni’s

I'm not convinced that Fleck is nothing more than a ra-ra guy who will go to being average once the newness wears off.

So for Steele I'm guessing it's head coach or bust. Don't see him lobbying for HC, possibly for 2-3 years behind the scenes, and then sticking around as DC if he doesn't get the job. Much less a new coach keeping him knowing he wanted to be HC. 

Sucks because he's one of the few coaches I wouldn't mind sticking around. 

35 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

There is a surprise candidate that will be interviewed sometime this weekend from what I'm being told.

I hope Mark Murphy doesn't find out who it is. 

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

So for Steele I'm guessing it's head coach or bust. Don't see him lobbying for HC, possibly for 2-3 years behind the scenes, and then sticking around as DC if he doesn't get the job. Much less a new coach keeping him knowing he wanted to be HC. 

Sucks because he's one of the few coaches I wouldn't mind sticking around. 

Well, if he's an issue behind the scenes, he's not one we need sticking around.

2 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Well, if he's an issue behind the scenes, he's not one we need sticking around.

Agreed. Don't know if that parts been confirmed, but read it numerous times. 

Archived