Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I want steele gone immediately from AU. I don't even want him on staff as a DC. First we need to let what hopefully and I'm praying is a new guy and it's not Steele pick his whole staff without interference. And second like you are alluding to who's to say this BS won't come up again?! Say the new coach hits some adversity well if steele is still on staff we know that the booster's who wanted him as coach are still around. Pissed that they didn't get their way and will be looking to get their way this time. It's a horrible situation. You basically got a teacher's pet and rat like you alluded to on staff who is relaying everything to the booster's.

Playing catch up. Maybe they can keep Steele around to teach an ethics class or something. 😁

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

The steele was stopped!!!!

Clark and Venables may still get interviewed according to 247. Heard it from a friend of a friend.

1 minute ago, creed said:

The only thing I could add is I suppose the PTB were reading this board and got wrapped around the axle trying to figure out what "the fans" wanted. Just to be honest this is one disfunction AUFAMILY and we couldn't pull in the same direction if the map was a straight line between point A and point B....lol

Nope. They were trying to do the one thing that the fanbase universally did NOT want, which is hire Steele.

Literally 90% of the fan base would have been perfectly happy with Mario Cristobal. They let him walk.

It's not about us at all. And it's not the fans that can't pull in the same direction. It's the PTB themselves.

This isn't me making anything up. It's literally agreed upon by every single source close to the situation except maybe Phillip Marshall. 

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

How different is his choice of Offense from what we have had for 8 years? I want something totally different. 

NO soup for you - Soup Nazi 2.0 | Meme Generator

2 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

I ready for this to happen. Let's not screw this up by slow playing this. Announce this today! Get it done, and start building a staff now! We will need awesome recruiters hired since Napier is a new name to P5. Let's move on.

I wonder if because he’s young the PTB think they can control Napier? I hope not... 

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His current OL coach used to be at UGA and RB coach was at LSU for what it's worth.

Needs a passing coordinator like a Joe Brady type.

His staff down there is impressive. I could see him bringing both of those guys and his S&C guy. I hope we can keep Caddy, though. 

Just now, tbone1430 said:

I wonder if because he’s young the PTB think they can control Napier? I hope not... 

I'm worried about that, too. No matter who it is, some of them have made it clear that they want their own keys to the locker room. I hope that can be balanced without them interfering in actual football operations. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nope. They were trying to do the one thing that the fanbase universally did NOT want, which is hire Steele.

Literally 90% of the fan base would have been perfectly happy with Mario Cristobal. They let him walk.

It's not about us at all. And it's not the fans that can't pull in the same direction. It's the PTB themselves.

This isn't me making anything up. It's literally agreed upon by every single source close to the situation except maybe Phillip Marshall. 

From what I've observed, Napier is probably a better game day coach than MC. He didn't have the same blunders that cost MC a few games, and always had his teams ready to play. They were punching above their weight class. Now, I'm not as sure about recruiting, as MC seems like a juggernaut at that, but Napier could be every bit as good.

Just now, JTFazz said:

No idea who this is or if he is even slightly credible...

Triple quote by you so it must be real.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hope we can keep Caddy, though. 

I keep seeing this. I get he was a great player here, but why? 

Just now, toddc said:

Triple quote by you so it must be real.

I blame the tinfoil hat and black helicopters.

Just now, toddc said:

Who did MC recruit that’s a big name?

You serious Clark? 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

His staff down there is impressive. I could see him bringing both of those guys and his S&C guy. I hope we can keep Caddy, though. 

Only if caddy is selected by the new HC of his own free will. 

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

How different is his choice of Offense from what we have had for 8 years? I want something totally different. 

The main thing is that he played QB and has a very strong record of recruiting *and* developing QBs *and* WRs at an elite level. That is actually the #1 distinction that should separate our next head coach from Gus. So that's a major win.

Something else I'll add: his offense had three different 800+ yard rushers last year, and none of them were the quarterback. 3 guys each over 100 carries but none over 200. 

Napier would possibly bring what Chad Morris would have had Gus let him? Somewhat similar philosophically but night and day different in how he actually implements it. Like... starting with actually coaching the QBs and WRs. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisiana-lafayette/2019.html

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If he can get those coaches to go to Louisiana who can he get to Auburn? Lol

Archived