Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Ryan Sanders said:

We know what we get with Gus. There is at least potential with Napier to be better.

It's like hiring a former employee that puts out 75% production vs a new hire. At least with the new hire, there is a chance that you get 100% or better production. But with the old guy, you know to expect 75%. 

Weird way to put it probably.. but that's how I view a question like that.

One of the biggest issues I had with Gus was the inability to develop talent. I do think Steele did well on the defensive side of the ball in that aspect.. but on offense.. we didn't see much of that. Napier, from what I can tell, seems to get MORE out of his players. Not so much with Gus.

We need a downfield passing game. Need to develop the OL and receivers. Gus was unwilling to throw deep most of the time, just a run up the middle and a screen pass. Not sure if Napier is willing to start having a passing game like Alabama and Florida and the other sec powerhouses do 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I've been so tired of Auburn football it's time to take a Nap

Keep selling it, you’re gonna get there! 😝 

2 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Jeremy Pruitt is probably getting canned soon. Maybe hire him as DC 

The union called with a grievance on your postings.  You are taking work away from a4e.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

Based on his resurrection of ULL program, his connections with elite coaches ala Saban and Dabo. Seems like he has a process/culture for success. Pretty good recruiter at UAT... 

Everyone is a good recruiter at UAT. As far as process/culture, I once again refer people to Josh Pate at The Late Kick.  Unless and until AU gets everyone pulling in the same direction and giving a coach everything they need to succeed without all the outside "direction" coming in from the powers that be, not a damn thing will change long term. Think back to every coach and every ending since Bowden came aboard in 1993. SSDD.

1 minute ago, drewzums343 said:

We need a downfield passing game. Need to develop the OL and receivers. Gus was unwilling to throw deep most of the time, just a run up the middle and a screen pass. Not sure if Napier is willing to start having a passing game like Alabama and Florida and the other sec powerhouses do 

I thought there were plenty of deep shots but a lack if development certainly impacted the success of those plays. Right now this search has made me okay with anyone not named Steele. Sark is my first choice but I am definitely okay with Napier

Gus loved to throw deep on 3rd down and 5, when we needed a slant pattern or drag route to get a first down.

Just now, shabby said:

I thought there were plenty of deep shots but a lack if development certainly impacted the success of those plays. Right now this search has made me okay with anyone not named Steele. Sark is my first choice but I am definitely okay with Napier

I'm willing to give Napier a chance. Hes a fresh face on campus and not a part of the good ol boy system. He's mostly unproven never been a SEC head coach before  or a p5 head coach but he may be successful. If he sucks, he's gone in 2-3 years 

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Everyone is a good recruiter at UAT. 

I will say, though, that the really successful ones have gone on to replicate their success elsewhere. Kirby and Cristobal have done absolutely incredible things, although Kirby has done it a little bit... loudly. 

1 minute ago, ArgoEagle said:

Gus loved to throw deep on 3rd down and 5, when we needed a slant pattern or drag route to get a first down.

I swear we ran that same screen pass every game and it never worked. 

I'm willing to give Napier a chance. Hes a fresh face on campus and not a part of the good ol boy system. He's mostly unproven never been a SEC head coach before  or a p5 head coach but he may be successful. If he sucks, he's gone in 2-3 years 

Do we know what kind of recruiter he's likely to be?

3 minutes ago, shabby said:

I could easily get behind Napier. Get It Done before someone else hirs him!!

Just so everyone is aware of the job this guy has done, the Cajuns had lost four or more games every year since 1993 prior to Napier showing up.

Since he's arrived:

7-7

11-3

9-1

Won or tied for the division title every year.  And 3 of his 11 total losses were to SEC teams.

Basically saying, the dude can freaking coach.  And he's only 41.

Just now, shabby said:

Do we know what kind of recruiter he's likely to be?

Pretty sure every recruiter is good at Bama. We have to remember on the flip side that hiring a coach from a major program doesn't equal success. Jeremy Pruitt seemed like a great hire at the time but Tennessee is still a dumpster fire and not much better from when butch Jones was coach

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Everyone is a good recruiter at UAT. As far as process/culture, I once again refer people to Josh Pate at The Late Kick.  Unless and until AU gets everyone pulling in the same direction and giving a coach everything they need to succeed without all the outside "direction" coming in from the powers that be, not a damn thing will change long term. Think back to every coach and every ending since Bowden came aboard in 1993. SSDD.

Yeah all this excitement about Napier means nothing if Auburn is not willing to let him change the culture of the athletic department (football)

3 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

He did take UL to a different level though and had that program running on a different level. What I've seen of Napier, he is not only a great game day coach, but also has great organizational skills and operational acumen.

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Pretty sure every recruiter is good at Bama. We have to remember on the flip side that hiring a coach from a major program doesn't equal success. Jeremy Pruitt seemed like a great hire at the time but Tennessee is still a dumpster fire and not much better from when butch Jones was coach

Jeremy Pruitt was not a great hire. Vol fans hated it. He can recruit though which is only a part of the equation. You have to be able to coach too. 

17 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

What makes you guys think Napier would be better than Gus?

I like Gus.  I think he is a great Coach and a good man.  He did things the right way, and I will always appreciate his time at Auburn.

My thing with Gus is this...he was hired as the head coach because of his offense.  With Gus, it just didnt seem like the structure or culture was ever built.  Now, was this his fault?  Who knows.  But it just felt like he had something with his HUNH offense, and when it stopped working, there was nothing to fall back on.  He didnt, in my opinion, create a culture around that promoted success.

Everything I have read about Napier, he has done that at ULL.  He took his time with Saban, put his system in place with his own tweaks, and has been successful at ULL...which no other Coach can say they have done with that program.

Archived