Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine the most appealing interview coming from the only current head coach you interviewed...

Funny 

5 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Basically saying, the dude can freaking coach.  And he's only 41.

Pat Dye was 41 when he was hired at Auburn.

Pat Dye's biggest qualifications were he was a disciple of the greatest coach at the time and he was know to turn around programs.

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Just so everyone is aware of the job this guy has done, the Cajuns had lost four or more games every year since 1993 prior to Napier showing up.

Since he's arrived:

7-7

11-3

9-1

Won or tied for the division title every year.  And 3 of his 11 total losses were to SEC teams.

Basically saying, the dude can freaking coach.  And he's only 41.

3 to top 25 SEC teams.

2 losses to top 20 App State.

3 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

It could be worse 

Thank you Tennessee!

Growing up in Alabama we used to say "Thank God for Mississippi."

As an Auburn alum/fan, I can say "Thank God for UT."

1 minute ago, meh130 said:

Pat Dye was 41 when he was hired at Auburn.

Pat Dye's biggest qualifications were he was a disciple of the greatest coach at the time and he was know to turn around programs.

I’ve said it a couple of times already, Nap does remind me of a young Pat Dye. 

Just now, meh130 said:

Thank you Tennessee!

I keep seeing Tennessee fans want Gus 

Just now, Zeek said:

Dont think UT is a good fit.  I would love to see Gus turn up at an ACC school and somehow turn in to a thorn in the side of Clemson.

35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Recruiting is great, but you need to be able to recruit to Auburn. It's nice that Napier was recruiting 5* players to Alabama, but that's what Alabama does. 

Number 1 class in sun belt past 2 years and was recruiting 4 and 5 stars to Clemson before they were a household name. Stud recruiter barn!

11 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Pretty sure every recruiter is good at Bama. We have to remember on the flip side that hiring a coach from a major program doesn't equal success. Jeremy Pruitt seemed like a great hire at the time but Tennessee is still a dumpster fire and not much better from when butch Jones was coach

Pruitt was their choice after a few other coaches turned them down. I don’t remember anyone saying he was a great hire, what makes you think he was a great hire?

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Pruitt = CKS

They just want anyone better than him at this stage 

6 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

I like Gus.  I think he is a great Coach and a good man.  He did things the right way, and I will always appreciate his time at Auburn.

My thing with Gus is this...he was hired as the head coach because of his offense.  With Gus, it just didnt seem like the structure or culture was ever built.  Now, was this his fault?  Who knows.  But it just felt like he had something with his HUNH offense, and when it stopped working, there was nothing to fall back on.  He didnt, in my opinion, create a culture around that promoted success.

Everything I have read about Napier, he has done that at ULL.  He took his time with Saban, put his system in place with his own tweaks, and has been successful at ULL...which no other Coach can say they have done with that program.

I was saying the other day that he basically failed to adapt and innovate beyond that. Once upon a time, the wishbone triple option was all the rage, but times change. As the opponents adapt to you, you have to evolve or die.

3 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Thank you Tennessee!

Can you believe they haven't beaten Alabama since 2006? That's insane. We've beaten them 5 times since then 

54 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

We should interview Joe Brady.  The guy is young though, only 31 years old 

This is what every fanbase has said since he went back to the NFL. 

There is a reason he chose being an NFL OC over a college HC. 

He apparently HATES recruiting if my LSU friends are to be believed. So its just as likely we hire Urban Meyer than it is we hire Joe Brady. 

43 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

I blame the tinfoil hat and black helicopters.

Did you not see the difference in how our backs ran the ball, he recruited Tank, and he has recruiting ties in Fla and Ala.

3 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Can you believe they haven't beaten Alabama since 2006? That's insane. We've beaten them 5 times since then 

Michigan has only beaten tOSU 3 times since the TURN OF THE CENTURY.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pruitt = CKS

They just want anyone better than him at this stage 

Well they're about to be on major probation and sanctions so they're chernobyl right now.

3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:
49 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

I blame the tinfoil hat and black helicopters.

Did you not see the difference in how our backs ran the ball, he recruited Tank, and he has recruiting ties in Fla and Ala.

giphy.gif

47 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

You serious Clark? 

Yeah that was a seriously bad take. 

MC just signed the highest rated recruiting class in the history of Oregon Football. He has signed multiple top players at Oregon. Not Bama. 

Q

I get questioning MC as an actual coach. Those questions are extremely valid. Questioning his recruiting says you dont pay attention. 

Archived