Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is what every fanbase has said since he went back to the NFL. 

There is a reason he chose being an NFL OC over a college HC. 

He apparently HATES recruiting if my LSU friends are to be believed. So its just as likely we hire Urban Meyer than it is we hire Joe Brady. 

I saw the same thing on the rant. He could hand pick a position at the college level. I think he is setting himself up for an NFL future.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

I saw the same thing on the rant. He could hand pick a position at the college level. I think he is setting himself up for an NFL future.

Yup. If he was even slightly interested in the college game he would still be wearing purple and gold or would be HC at Arkansas or Ole Miss. Both of them wanted to go after him last year. He ended up back in the NFL. 

He didnt chose to be a subordinate when he could of been the face of a program because he loves what goes on in college football...

14 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’ve said it a couple of times already, Nap does remind me of a young Pat Dye. 

He even addressed team managers in his introduction speech at Louisiana! I remember a Dye locker room speech where he started by addressing “managers, trainers,...”

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I still hell incredibly insignificant when I remember Sean McVay is an NFL head coach at 34.

14 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I keep seeing Tennessee fans want Gus 

He would be better than their current head coach. Not better at recruiting but we see now why Pruitt did so well at recruiting. Plus he can beat Uat sometimes. 
problem for ut fans- he will NEVER beat UGA. Ever. 

My criteria for a new head coach: 

1. Alpha male

2. respected personally and professionally

3. head coach mentality not coordinator mentality

4. Knows football

5. Knows how to evaluate talent in coaches and players. 
6. understands and appreciates the greatness of Auburn. 

if we get that, auburn will be just fine, even though the administration will try to screw it up

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I still hell incredibly insignificant when I remember Sean McVay is an NFL head coach at 34.

Yeah, he still has a ways to go, but everyone wants the new Sean McVay, so we see reaching like out there in Arizona. Today is lining up to be a potential great day. Marty Hurney gone and hopefully more news on Napier.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The main thing is that he played QB and has a very strong record of recruiting *and* developing QBs *and* WRs at an elite level. That is actually the #1 distinction that should separate our next head coach from Gus. So that's a major win.

Something else I'll add: his offense had three different 800+ yard rushers last year, and none of them were the quarterback. 3 guys each over 100 carries but none over 200. 

Napier would possibly bring what Chad Morris would have had Gus let him? Somewhat similar philosophically but night and day different in how he actually implements it. Like... starting with actually coaching the QBs and WRs. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/louisiana-lafayette/2019.html

I've seen this written before, but I can't really find anything to back it up.  Could you elaborate?

WDE! 

1 minute ago, tigerrules said:

My criteria for a new head coach: 

1. Alpha male

2. respected personally and professionally

3. head coach mentality not coordinator mentality

4. Knows football

5. Knows how to evaluate talent in coaches and players. 
6. understands and appreciates the greatness of Auburn. 

if we get that, auburn will be just fine, even though the administration will try to screw it up

Sounded like a biography of Mario Cristobal. I know that ship has sailed but I’m still super salty we screwed the pooch on that one...

Candidates like Brent Venables, Sarkisian are going to ask auburn for full control of the football program similar to what Saban has. Kirby smart wanted the job 8 years ago but auburn refused to give smart control of the program. I really hope PTB don't screw this up again 

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Candidates like Brent Venables, Sarkisian are going to ask auburn for full control of the football program similar to what Saban has. Kirby smart wanted the job 8 years ago but auburn refused to give smart control of the program. I really hope PTB don't screw this up again 

The existing PTB will never give up full control of the program.  I doubt they would if Saban wanted the job. 

I keep seeing people say they want TWill and Caddy to stay.

By all accounts TWill was not going to be retained by Gus because of locker room issues and apparently his head got a little big. 

However from everything ive seen thats gone on, why does anyone want ANY coach from the previous staff retained? 

If Napier or Stark are hired, they need to be able to clean house not keep coaches X and Y because they "played here," "are good auburn men," or whatever is used as a defense. 

There is a culture problem. You dont fix that  by keeping the coaches who caused said culture problem. 

I mean dont get me wrong, I love me some Caddy and TWill but I hope EVERYONE is removed. 

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

DL bring back Rocker 

no Thanks. Doesn't love to recruit. We need relentless recruiters.

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

By all accounts TWill was not going to be retained by Gus because of locker room issues and apparently his head got a little big. 

However from everything ive seen thats gone on, why does anyone want ANY coach from the previous staff retained? 

If Napier or Stark are hired, they need to be able to clean house not keep coaches X and Y because they "played here," "are good auburn men," or whatever is used as a defense. 

There is a culture problem. You dont fix that  by keeping the coaches who caused said culture problem. 

I mean dont get me wrong, I love me some Caddy and TWill but I hope EVERYONE is removed. 

I get your sentiment, but I also think that Caddy deserves a better shot than any other to stay.  I do remember some issues with TWill over the last year.  However, Caddy has come in and done a great job in coaching & recruiting.  His ties to IMG are just another reason to keep him around.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

we just have to learn the hard way. We need a clean sweep. No AUBURN MEN. 

I just went to the rant (which I hate doing) and even they are in consensus Napier is our guy. This couldn't work out better, if the Auburn men don't mess it up. 

8 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I've seen this written before, but I can't really find anything to back it up.  Could you elaborate?

WDE! 

Good summary in the bio below. I might have to back off of "QB development at an elite level"- looks like he *recruited* Tajh Boyd but did not coach him, and while he's been very successful as a QB coach, "elite" might not be earned quite yet. 

https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/billy-napier/1008

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The existing PTB will never give up full control of the program.  I doubt they would if Saban wanted the job. 

This is why we will be repeating this process again in about 5-6 years. Hire a coach and get out of his way. I would not come anywhere near Auburn without that stipulation. You not gonna tell me who to hire, fire, play recruit, etc. And I will determine the level of access you have to the program and the players. 

4 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I get your sentiment, but I also think that Caddy deserves a better shot than any other to stay.  I do remember some issues with TWill over the last year.  However, Caddy has come in and done a great job in coaching & recruiting.  His ties to IMG are just another reason to keep him around.

there is no valid reason to keep any of them around. 

53 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Jeremy Pruitt is probably getting canned soon. Maybe hire him as DC 

No, no, no. Dude causes issues with the staff. 

@drewzums343 have you seen what Tenn did to be able to fire him without the buyout? 

They straight sold him out. They are going to get themselves put on probation to get rid of Pruitt. 

He is a hell of a DC but HATES Auburn. 

-HARD PASS-

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

@drewzums343 have you seen what Tenn did to be able to fire him without the buyout? 

They straight sold him out. They are going to get themselves put on probation to get rid of Pruitt. 

He is a hell of a DC but HATES Auburn. 

-HARD PASS-

How did I miss any of this Tennessee news 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

How did I miss any of this Tennessee news 

I just saw people on the rant talking about it then came here and saw people talking about it then went to our rivals section. Its the 1st thread.

Archived