Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

I wanted Sark, but it apparently wasn't in the cards. I think he may be the best play caller that Ihave ever seen, even better than Kiffin.

I am not unhappy with Napier because he is a helluva' lot better than what I thought we would be getting. I didn't want to walk away from AU football but I, as well as my buddy in Columbus Miss(hey stud, he reads but won't post)we going to pay more attention to the Mississippi schools because its more fun and less stressful than the last few years of AU football. The OM/MSU/ALA games were so entertaining and I really did have fun and enjoyed football this past weekend more than previous Saturdays. There is one common denominator in those games,though. POINTS!

I have been running through Napiers videoed games for the last two seasons and I don't like his offense. These SEC defenses are going to eat that stuff up. Its balanced but there does not seem to be a lot of sophistication in his passing game. Running game appears to be what the doctor ordered.

Napier is the "not Gus/Steele" candidate that we can rally around. I hope he walks in and tells everybody but Caddy to pack their s*** and hit the road. I want his O-Line coach here as fast as he can get here, although Bicknell did a credible job, giving the lack of time and what he had to work with.

I think we will regret not hiring Sark but Napier is better than than the original front runner

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

To me it is more than just recruitment. It is the talent development. Sorry, but I’ve seen much lesser coaches recruit at Auburn if they put the effort in, I am wanted a culture change and program builder and he fits that bill. Recruiter is icing on the cake 

Yeah I'm not suggesting that its difficult to recruit to Auburn. I think you are right about that. I just hope whoever we bring in can win some of those battles with Alabama and Georgia. Whoever said he was recruiting well at Clemson before Clemson was what they are right now made a good point. 

This is what I'm concerned about. I'm concerned about our head coaches getting neutered in their head coaching decisions, who they can hire, and who they can fire, etc. Not saying that Napier is a poor choice, I just hope he has a handle on what he wants his program to operate like, and that he will be willing to fight tooth and nail for his autonomy. 

2 minutes ago, chizhead said:

I wanted Sark, but it apparently wasn't in the cards. I think he may be the best play caller that Ihave ever seen, even better than Kiffin.

I am not unhappy with Napier because he is a helluva' lot better than what I thought we would be getting. I didn't want to walk away from AU football but I, as well as my buddy in Columbus Miss(hey stud, he reads but won't post)we going to pay more attention to the Mississippi schools because its more fun and less stressful than the last few years of AU football. The OM/MSU/ALA games were so entertaining and I really did have fun and enjoyed football this past weekend more than previous Saturdays. There is one common denominator in those games,though. POINTS!

I have been running through Napiers videoed games for the last two seasons and I don't like his offense. These SEC defenses are going to eat that stuff up. Its balanced but there does not seem to be a lot of sophistication in his passing game. Running game appears to be what the doctor ordered.

Napier is the "not Gus/Steele" candidate that we can rally around. I hope he walks in and tells everybody but Caddy to pack their s*** and hit the road. I want his O-Line coach here as fast as he can get here, although Bicknell did a credible job, giving the lack of time and what he had to work with.

I think we will regret not hiring Sark but Napier is better than than the original front runner

I agree.  Nick evens says it is a points race now. BN offense does not look like it will keep up. He is a very good coach, and  maybe an OC can help. Just seems like a safe pick, not a I want to win it all pick. Think about the best two coachs in Alabama are today. Saban and Bruce, which where proven big boy coach's when hired.  We can afford to go get a big name coach, why can't we not do that, than take this risk. 

49 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Number 1 class in sun belt past 2 years and was recruiting 4 and 5 stars to Clemson before they were a household name. Stud recruiter barn!

Glad to hear that. Just hope he can go head to head with Kirby and Saban. We need to start winning some of those battles. It is absolutely essential. 

27 minutes ago, tigerrules said:

My criteria for a new head coach: 

1. Alpha male

2. respected personally and professionally

3. head coach mentality not coordinator mentality

4. Knows football

5. Knows how to evaluate talent in coaches and players. 
6. understands and appreciates the greatness of Auburn. 

if we get that, auburn will be just fine, even though the administration will try to screw it up

In the SEC, you have to be an ELITE recruiter, or your playing for also ran status in the conference. We need an ELITE recruiter of talent. A CLOSER for 4 and 5 star kids. Then, we need a staff to coach them up even more and keep them motivated to be the BEST. 

We need to be a pipeline to the NFL, so I think it is time to rid ourselves of the high school offense and inact a much more complex offence, esp. the passing game.

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

In the SEC, you have to be an ELITE recruiter, or your playing for also ran status in the conference. We need an ELITE recruiter of talent. A CLOSER for 4 and 5 star kids. Then, we need a staff to coach them up even more and keep them motivated to be the BEST. 

We need to be a pipeline to the NFL, so I think it is time to rid ourselves of the high school offense and inact a much more complex offence, esp. the passing game.

100% Truth

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

I just went to the rant (which I hate doing) and even they are in consensus Napier is our guy. This couldn't work out better, if the Auburn men don't mess it up. 

We could end up with a top young coach in spite of ourselves. Hopefully this happens quick before they can screw it up.

2 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Spot on. Doesn’t get anymore clear than this. 

So what can WE do to try and get the ball rolling on football facilities? That's the next hurdle. As far as the board of trustees I don't think we can do much there. We've shed light on the issue at least.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Gus loved to throw deep on 3rd down and 5, when we needed a slant pattern or drag route to get a first down.

1 hour ago, drewzums343 said:

I swear we ran that same screen pass every game and it never worked. 

Or a low percentage 30 yard fade route down the sideline. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

So what can WE do to try and get the ball rolling on football facilities? That's the next hurdle. As far as the board of trustees I don't think we can do much there. We've shed light on the issue at least.

GoFundMe?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jeremy Pruitt was not a great hire. Vol fans hated it. He can recruit though which is only a part of the equation. You have to be able to coach too. 

That's weird because Saban hired him twice to coach and bama. So saban hires bad coaches.

3 minutes ago, creed said:

That's weird because Saban hired him twice to coach and bama. So saban hires bad coaches.

Saban hired him as a coach, not as a HC.  Big difference

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Im Already hearing bring back this guy and this guy. If he is the coach please give this guy the opportunity to do a proper evaluation and bring in his own guys or if they meet the criteria bring back Auburn guys..we need a bigger network 

1000% agree. The new guy's evaluation of the current staff must NOT be swayed by fans of this board, or the PTB. "I hope and pray the new coach keeps ABC and XYZ". Please. Let's refrain from that. Ok? Look at the staffs of the big boys. Is this an Auburn thing, or is it customary to keep coach figurehead around because he's a fan favorite ex-player? Does this fanbase seem to emphasize that a little too much? I hope this is the result of the previous HC's shortcomings. Let's not add that burden to the new guy. If he determines a clean sweep is needed, let him do it.

5 minutes ago, creed said:

Head coach versus assistant coach.

Maybe you are joking or at least I hope you are.

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

My thought is if it’s a bricked in facility to allow donors to buy a brick which would offset the cost of the facility itself. Have their name etched on the brick. Just a thought. 

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Head coach versus assistant coach.

Maybe you are joking or at least I hope you are.

Yep. I think of a head coach of a college team these days as more of a gm for a pro team. Jeremy is just a bad gm...lol

I don’t think comparing Naps offense with Sarks offense is a fair comparison.

Even though Nap comes from the offensive side of the ball, he isn’t a “offensive guru” type HC.

He will manage the team like Saban does, hire the staff to implement his philosophy and hold them accountable. Nap won’t get stuck in a certain style on offense, he will adapt and put the right OC in charge and hold him accountable.

1 minute ago, creed said:

Yep. I think of a head coach of a college team these days as more of a gm for a pro team. Jeremy is just a bad gm...lol

The GM/CEO model is really what Saban perfected, which is similar to what Napier is doing. Napier seems really good at it too. I hope we don't screw this up.

Just now, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I don’t think comparing Naps offense with Sarks offense is a fair comparison.

Even though Nap come from the offensive side of the ball, he isn’t a “offensive guru” type HC.

He will manage the team like Saban does, hire the staff to implement his philosophy and hold them accountable. Nap won’t get stuck in a certain style on offense, he will adapt and put the right OC in charge and hold him accountable.

That is what I am hoping as well.  I want a true HC, not a HC that calls plays, etc.  Be the head coach, hire an OC to be an OC, not an OC in title only.  You hold that OC to expectations, and if they arent met you fix it.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

A new coach (not named Steele) will invigorate would-be donors and money will start showing back up for things IMO. 

10 minutes ago, tbone1430 said:

My thought is if it’s a bricked in facility to allow donors to buy a brick which would offset the cost of the facility itself. Have their name etched on the brick. Just a thought. 

I've always thought this would be a cool way to cover part of the cost for bricking in Jordan Hare.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A new coach (not named Steele) will invigorate would-be donors and money will start showing back up for things IMO. 

I'm not a construction guy but I wonder if there are ways to speed up the football facility.

That fixes a lot of the problems because it should house a weight room, practice field, film room, meeting rooms, player dining, trainer stations, water aerobic rehab, entertainment rooms, and more (barber lol)

It's concerning to me we haven't even seen mockups yet 

1 hour ago, tigerrules said:

3. head coach mentality not coordinator mentality

We have really been missing this for some time. I call it a "program coach" vs. a "scheme coach". Some call it a "CEO coach".

It is why I have soured on hiring coordinators. Sometimes it works (Kirby), sometimes it does not. It is why I liked Cristobal so much. No micromanager coordinator baggage like we got with both Chizik and Gus. Cristobal struck me as the most "Dye like" candidate, but I think Napier is good too.

Regarding an Alpha Male, we definitely need some BDE to stand up against YellerFeller and the other PTB. Can Napier bring it? I am concerned about Sark, because he will not be seen as having the monkey off his back until he has some time as head coach. He is under Saban's wing right now. There would be a desire to micromanage him by the PTB if he came here, until they considered he had "proved" to them the monkey was dead and buried. Oddly enough, I bet that made Sark intriguing to the PTB. That may have been why Sark played hardball.

The more I think about it, Gene and Gus were brothers from another mother. Both were notorious micromanagers.

Archived